Thread: A380 flips Canadair jet.

Default A380 flips Canadair jet.

Anytime I'm anywhere near an A380 (infight) my sphincter tightens just a bit. . .

"A short time later (1-2 minutes) the aircraft encountered wake turbulence sending the aircraft into an uncontrolled roll, turning the aircraft around at least 3 times (possibly even 5 times), both engines flamed out, the aircraft lost about 10,000 feet until the crew was able to recover the aircraft, restart the engines and divert to Muscat. The aircraft received damage beyond repair due to the G-forces, and was written off."

This is was basically an RJ, something many of us fly on everyday. And I'm not necessarily picking on the A380, it's the 1000 foot separation that the culprit I think. However, I see no way around it.

when we say please keep those seat belts fastened while seated, this is why. Most encounters aren't this bad, but can still hurt you.

http://flightservicebureau.org/enrou...4-upside-down/
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

Default Re: A380 flips Canadair jet.

Please don't stow your head in the bottom of the overhead lockers because that's where the oxygen masks fall from.

I like Bill's comment at the end of the article!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Sounds like that flight crew on that RJ pulled off a "Sully on the Hudson" getting that aircraft safely on the ground, kudos to them.

One more reason for me to never get in a plane again.

Oh, I'm serious. I never rolled over, but last time I was in one of those things it dropped straight down about 398 feet. Yep.
    My stomach is still up there, and that was 17 years ago.

Peace,
    BA Baracus

Yowza!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Probably the same with a B474.

Is that what they mean by flipping the bird?

Wake turbulence is a very real threat. I've been rolled up over 80 degrees in the EMB-120 I used to fly.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Yes sir. I used to fly gliders on an air force base. We operated on a 10,000' taxiway parallel to the main runway, perhaps 300' away. We paid serious attention to wind direction when an Argus (later replaced by the Aurora - similar to the US P3 Orion) took off. An occasional visit by a Herc would shut us down for a bit to ensure we were safe. I cannot image what rolls off the wing tips of those big buggers.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Boeing 777

Nosce te ipsum

A380

Nosce te ipsum

#10 and 11: Pr0n!
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I flew to Houston numerous times, usually on an Embraer ERJ 145. Once while almost to Houston the plane took a sudden roll to the left but then righted itself quickly. I think the roll was about 45 degrees or so. I did not have time to really look out a window to see. Later I experienced a similar roll while approaching Washington DC in a similar sized aircraft - probably a CRJ100. This The only thing I could figure out in both cases is that we likely passed through a wake vortex.
    Will

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I have never heard of wake turbulence affecting a plane outside of the takeoff or landing pattern. But it makes sense, I think with no high-lift devices deployed at altitude, the wing loading may be higher, and of course the velocity is higher, both pointing to stronger tip vortices. Plus it's a 380. I think they're going to study this a lot. Quite a recovery by the Canadair crew, good thing they had the altitude, and even then it was iffy, given that "The aircraft received damage beyond repair due to the G-forces, and was written off."
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.