Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw recommendations please :)

Default table saw recommendations please :)

After 3 or so years of work I have killed my Einhell table saw, It was reasonably cheap so I'm not too upset (just annoyed) and I am looking at what's around to replace it with, I am a bit of a DeWalt fan and have seen the DWE7491http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DWE7491/ it appears to be a more powerful unit than the 745 http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/...s/catno/DW745/ but does anyone here have any experience with either unit or is there another I should be looking at keeping in mind I'm in Aus and we aren't exactly spoiled for choice down here
    I should also mention whatever I get needs to be fairly portable as I have to move it outside when I need to use it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Phill

Default Re: table saw recommendations please :)

I had one of these for a few years until I bought a better one, http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W452. Not too bad but the motor was sus. A guarantee on the motor would be worth asking for. I think they sell a castor base for shifting it.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very nice but there's no way I could get that through my shed door funny thing, I have a Hafco metal lathe and have had ongoing issues with the motor in that also.

Phill

Sideways it's about 700mm , that will fit through a doorway.
    Grateful Dead

I have one the above saws, over 20 years, lots of work on this thing. It is heavy (cast iron) and I don't think the legs would stand much tilting (pressed metal) if you had wheels fitted to 2 legs. If there was some way to move it on 4 wheels, that may be ok. I think I have seen pressed metal and aluminium table saws that appear to made for moving around, always a question re accuracy and rigidity with this type of construction.
    the invisible man........

Do you have Sawstop technology in OZ? If I were buying new, I would certainly consider it.
    Steve Martinsen

Are you in an area that has ongoing power problems that I've read about recently? It may not be the motor that's the issue.

Chip

A Festool saw (with guides) will do many of the things a table saw can do, and it can't be beat for portability.
    It is wonderful for plywood...

I made my own version of a track saw based on some videos and DIY sites. The results are adequate for the types of low-intensity DIY and boat building I've done: Argie 15, kitchen counter tops, doors, cabinets, etc. I prefer the track saw to a table saw. My DeWalt skilsaw is corded and has an electrical brake on it.

I have a Dewalt dwe7480 (cdn model) portable job site saw. It suits my small shop and its fairly light. The motor is rated at 15 amps/110 volts so it 's adequate for ripping hardwoods as long as you go slow. The motor is direct drive,so burning up a motor will be very expensive.I don't cut much plywood so I can't help there. I've used it gently for 3 years without problems.Don't skimp on the blades. The manual says don't use a dado blade but a router will do.Dust collection is good and it's quite noisy, I'd buy another

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    I have one the above saws, over 20 years, lots of work on this thing. It is heavy (cast iron) and I don't think the legs would stand much tilting (pressed metal) if you had wheels fitted to 2 legs. If there was some way to move it on 4 wheels, that may be ok. I think I have seen pressed metal and aluminium table saws that appear to made for moving around, always a question re accuracy and rigidity with this type of construction.
    The Einhell I just killed has a pressed metal stand so I know exactly what you mean, it has no wheels so I have to manhandle it out of one shed, down a step, then down a slight rise in the driveway to be able to use it and it nearly kills me, I guess the DeWalt's appealed to me as they were smaller and lighter, plus they have a folding wheely stand available.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Do you have Sawstop technology in OZ? If I were buying new, I would certainly consider it.
    Yes we do, very cool set up, even looked at the Bosch Reaxx which has similar tech but doesn't kill the blade like the Saw Stop.
    I must admit that I'm getting a tad paranoid about tools with all these bells and whistles, I worry about the long term availability of parts, I recently had trouble getting hold of a new pair of shoes for my bandsaw and replacement cutters for my thicknesser, I now try to get the most simple no frills tools I can find.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Are you in an area that has ongoing power problems that I've read about recently? It may not be the motor that's the issue.

Chip
    That's a fair question for this area, the power is fine down here in Tasmania although we were panicking last year as the dams for the Hydroelectric were nearly empty and the back up cable to the mainland was mysteriously cut, the government panicked and started shipping in diesel generators
    We did have an episode one street over where an apprentice did something phenomenally wrong on a pole and killed every appliance in the street, since then I have had an all of house surge detector fitted directly into the fuse box.

Phill

What I like about belt driven saws is that it's cheap and easy to change motors should you overload and burn one.
    Grateful Dead

I am in the camp with the tracked circular saw. It does not have to be a Festool, every major manufacturer makes one, De Walt included http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/...atno/DWS520KT/
    A mobile workstand with clamping options to hold the piece and you don't have to kill yourself dragging the heavy beast anymore. People forget that the contractor usually has a crew.

On the other hand I see far to much tools beeing tossed even if they could be repaired. I would tear the Einhell apart and try to identify the problem. Often it's a switch, or the brushes and those are penny items to replace. Brushes are standard items, switches can be substituted for standard items if replacement is not available from Einhell.
    So I would say try to repair the Einhell and keep the money to be spent on a bandsaw.

Thank's Rumars, the only reason I use the table saw is for cutting the necessary timbers, don't think I have ever cut ply on it, I did once break down a sheet of 32mm MDF into 300mm strips to make a bookshelf for the wife.
    The Einhel is toast, first thing I did was check the brushes and they are just fine, looks like the bearing on the output shaft has seized and the heat from that has chewed out the housing, it will run briefly but vibrates like hell and instead of the on board breaker switching off (which I think is only for thermal overload) it just blows the workshop RCD which is a sign of something nasty, on the bright side, after some modifications it's gonna make a great router table

Phil

A tracked circular saw is not only for cutting plywood. But I'll admit it is different than using a table saw.
    Good that you found another use for thye remains of the Einhell.

I really prefer a tracked circular saw for cutting large panels and awkward stock. I do have several ten inch, Swiss made, Inca pattern maker's saws in my work spaces as they take up little space and are amazingly accurate. I bought them second hand at good prices. The arbor is twenty mm in diameter and mounted in needle bearings to afford incredible vibration free running. There are a ton of accessories that for them as well. One is a horizontal mortice mill set up that can save a ton of time hand chopping mortices. I like the infinitely adjustable fence but added the sliding table from Inca but changed the miter bar to a self indexing US version which is quicker to use. Unfortunatly, there are no dealers in the US any longer but, Inca saws sometimes come up on eBay where they are snapped up fast! I find the compactness of this machine very useful in my small shop. In the photo note that it is set up with a Jessem router table as well. P.S. I really like the knee kick shut off switch! This tool is like a Swiss Watch, well made!
    Jay

You might also want to use the 'search' function to find further discussion of table saws.

Here's a recent thread, for example --

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=table+saw
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

OK so I stopped being a lazy sod this morning and pulled the thing apart, the bearing on the output shaft was shredded but I managed to find a new one to go in, now it will run and sounds the smoothest it's ever sounded but still trips the RCD about every third time I try to run it, I did pull the motor apart to look for shrapnel and blew it out with the compressor but still it keeps tripping

Phill

Breakers can get fatigued, especially if they are tripped a lot. Resist the temptation to replace it with something bigger, though, unless the wiring and connectors are also rated higher than "current" setup.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    I am in the camp with the tracked circular saw. It does not have to be a Festool, every major manufacturer makes one, De Walt included http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/...atno/DWS520KT/
    A mobile workstand with clamping options to hold the piece and you don't have to kill yourself dragging the heavy beast anymore. People forget that the contractor usually has a crew.

On the other hand I see far to much tools beeing tossed even if they could be repaired. I would tear the Einhell apart and try to identify the problem. Often it's a switch, or the brushes and those are penny items to replace. Brushes are standard items, switches can be substituted for standard items if replacement is not available from Einhell.
    So I would say try to repair the Einhell and keep the money to be spent on a bandsaw.
    I could never see the point of those, I've always just clamped a factory edge of ply on as a guide.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Breakers can get fatigued, especially if they are tripped a lot. Resist the temptation to replace it with something bigger, though, unless the wiring and connectors are also rated higher than "current" setup.

Chip
    No it's definitely something seriously wrong with the motor, never tripped the RCD before the incident, now it runs with the earth wire disconnected but touch it back to the metal casing with an insulated screwdriver and you get a big "CRACK" and a pretty spark then the RDC trips again.

Phill

Get the multimeter out and mesure for continuity between casing and hot/neutral and ground while turning the motor by hand. Then remove the rotor and see where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I could never see the point of those, I've always just clamped a factory edge of ply on as a guide.
    It's about speed of operation. The track gives a straightedge right on the cut, you can hold the piece and the track with one hand and cut, you can tilt the saw while holding on to the track etc. Yes it can be done with a clamped straidedge but you loose time on the job in setting it up. Having the track is like having an adjusted fence on the tablesaw.

@Jay Greer
    Inca's are fine machines. Unfortunately the swiss replacement parts dealer will not ship to the US and Canada due to "insurance policy restrictions". The do ship everywhere else. http://www.doebeli.ch/index.asp?Lang...ca-machines-en
    Last edited by Rumars; 03-18-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Good points but I guess I don't use enough sheet material to justify the purchase. Ply isn't hugely used in Australian home building, just bracing on corners .
    Grateful Dead

Is there Lowe's in Tasmania? I bought this Delta there a couple years ago. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-13-Am...e-Saw/50081568 I believe it is sold only at Lowe's, and it is a lower price model sold under the Delta brand. It is half way between a totally portable contractor saw and a floor mount. But I consider it a big saw, and I have found it to be excellent for all sorts of general work, including crosscut, long rips (carlins and gunnels and such), and cutting panels, too. I did buy improved blades. I treat it like a floor model, but wheel it off to the side when I need more room to work. It wheels easily, the narrow way (27"), so would probably fit through your door. It goes on sale here occasionally for US$550, otherwise normally sells for US$590. I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul356 View Post
    Is there Lowe's in Tasmania? I bought this Delta there a couple years ago. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-13-Am...e-Saw/50081568 I believe it is sold only at Lowe's, and it is a lower price model sold under the Delta brand. It is half way between a totally portable contractor saw and a floor mount. But I consider it a big saw, and I have found it to be excellent for all sorts of general work, including crosscut, long rips (carlins and gunnels and such), and cutting panels, too. I did buy improved blades. I treat it like a floor model, but wheel it off to the side when I need more room to work. It wheels easily, the narrow way (27"), so would probably fit through your door. It goes on sale here occasionally for US$550, otherwise normally sells for US$590. I recommend it.
    Very cool looking saw but sadly we don't have anything like that here in Tasmania, shame really as I have had a great run from my Delta thicknesser.

Phill

The saw that Peter shows in post #2 looks exactly like the Rigid saw I have had for 20 years??? I cannot tell if it is the same fence, but I learned one thing important. The fence that came on the Rigid sucked. I replaced the fence, and now the saw is pretty dang good. I think a fence is the determining factor for a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    The saw that Peter shows in post #2 looks exactly like the Rigid saw I have had for 20 years??? I cannot tell if it is the same fence, but I learned one thing important. The fence that came on the Rigid sucked. I replaced the fence, and now the saw is pretty dang good. I think a fence is the determining factor for a table saw.
    Not precisely correct. But a fence certainly is an important factor, and CAN be the bottleneck... or limiting factor... for a saw with all of the OTHER important factors checked off.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I could never see the point of those [tracked saws], I've always just clamped a factory edge of ply on as a guide.
    When cutting wide stock, a simple fence, including the solution you mention, will work fine. However, consider my last project where I cut 5/8" strips out of a 6" wide, 4/4 white oak board. The board had to be clamped to the underside of the track saw (t-bolt clamps running in aluminum t-tracks) for each cut. That method was slower and potentially less accurate than a table saw, but it worked out well for me. Setup and take-down was a snap. The work piece was rested on a series of 2x2 sacrificial staves with the blade only protruding 1/8" below the cut. I could have simply clamped a small fence to the shoe of the circular saw and pushed it along the board too, but there's always the potential wander off and get an inaccurate cut.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Funny you should mention that, I have had a good play with the fences on a few different saw's now and I keep coming back to the DeWalt with it's very solid rack and pinion setup.

Phill

Keep in mind, also, that the various less robust fences CAN often be - to varying degrees - fettled to arrange a decent to good, level of accuracy and grip.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

So in the end after looking at all the options and considering all the future purchases needed to finish my boat I took the budget route and bought this https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-25...table_p6290539 it has a 3 year replacement warranty so it will be interesting to see how it goes, plus it's no heavier than my last bench saw so should be fairly easy to get in and out of the shed.

Phill

I know nothing about that brand. Looks like a 'don't ask it to rip 8/4 white white oak all day' saw. But it should suit you fine. My only concern from the foto, is the short fence. That can be remedied with the addition of a sacrificial fence to the face. Maybe 18mm by 100mm.
    Last edited by David G; 03-24-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks