Thread: Requesting Advice about Sellling Coot

Default Requesting Advice about Sellling Coot

This is Tom Larkin's widow, Meryll. I need advice and help about selling the Coot: like resources for some minor repairs, advice about where and how to post, how much I should be asking? I started with this http://boatbuild.wordpress.com and don't know if I have all the information that potential buyers would want (see specification page). Someone told me that I should get a motor evaluation of how many hours are on the motor. Does this seem worthwhile? Or a boat appraisal? Does anyone know of a boat broker or dealer in the Puget Sound area who would even consider selling the Coot (while the boat stays in Seattle)? I have a lot of trouble maneuvering the Coot back into her moorage slip after I take her out. I feel like I need to be able to do this. Where would I get instructions or pointers?

Default Re: Requesting Advice about Sellling Coot

Around here the Coast Gaurd Auxiliary teaches a small boat handling course at the community college. There must be something similar out there.

Steven

You could potentially donate Coot to the Center for Wooden Boats. You'd get a tax deduction for the value of the donation (I think). No matter what you decide to do with Coot, Steve Greaves at CWB would probably be a good resource. He runs the boat sales/donation program. His contact info is on the left side of this page ... https://cwb.org/join-support/buy-or-donate-a-boat/

I wonder if CWB would sell Coot on your behalf, and then take a brokerage fee? Might be worth asking.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 03-15-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Here's Coot...more to follow.

I can post the pics, but we need some local PNW help with the other questions.

It's a big toy boat! Cool!

Once you establish the value, you have several options:

Craigslist ad. It's free. Make the ad very detailed and with extensive pictures and you'll have more responses. Don't put location of boat, I'm always wary of thieves scoping out CL for thefts, at least if someone calls you, you have their number.

48 North ad. Not free but local. Exact opposite of Craigslist ad, due to cost it will have to be very small, so make the words count, and have a website or something to get auxiliary info, or have a draft of everything with pics ready to send via email to any inquires. See what other sellers do on that.

Yachtworld.com , super big website for boats worldwide, they are actually based in Seattle. Not sure if you can place ad solo or not, all the ads I have seen are by brokers.

Broker. Find one locally to handle everything, from photos to placing the ad to showing the boat to closing the deal.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Have you contacted Sam Devlin?

He posts ads for used boats of his design on his site.

Advertising could be done thru CWB, Small Craft Advisor Magazine, and Craigslist (all local)... or for a wider net - our hosts offer classified ads. Also - if you want to send me the particulars - I'll list it with the Western Oregon Messabout Society (aka the Coots). We don't have a formal publication, but I'm happy to post the info to our Yahoo Group site. It's the sort of boat that's right up our alley. If I were closer, I'd be happy to look at her to help set a value - but I bet someone can suggest someone in the Seattle area that can help you do that. Yacht brokers are always an option as well, but they do take a cut.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Merrill,

Beautiful boat! I'm sure it was your husband's pride and joy. My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family for your loss!

Best regards,

SKIP Kilpatrick

I was lucky enough to go aboard Coot once at the Tugboat Fest in Olympia. Not only is she very cool outside, but the cleverness of the layout inside is amazing. The multiple uses of the small space are an inspiration.

I've seen the photos many times, very inspiring.

I'm a bit far away to help Merrill, but BUMP anyway.

Coot is a very particular boat for exactly the right person. Ideally you can find a broker who, like Camden's Mr. Page in his day, understands wooden classics and has a way of bringing boat and swain together.

Meryll, check out Wolfe Marine on Portage Bay. They used to deal in a lot of classic woodies, I think they still do but not sure.

http://www.yachtworld.com/wolfemarin...emarine_0.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    It's a big toy boat! Cool!

Once you establish the value, you have several options:

Craigslist ad. It's free. Make the ad very detailed and with extensive pictures and you'll have more responses. Don't put location of boat, I'm always wary of thieves scoping out CL for thefts, at least if someone calls you, you have their number.
    If someone calls you, YOU PUBLISHED YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!

Don't do that.

C-list has a very capable and efficient email response anonymizer. Use it.

The option will show as you post the ad.

I ALWAYS require a back-and-forth through the anonymizer software before I go to the phone or text.

I miss Tom.

My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Don't do that.

I ALWAYS require a back-and-forth through the anonymizer software before I go to the phone or text.

I miss Tom.

My condolences.
    All of this!

I put in my ads: "If you prefer to use phone instead of email, please include your phone number in your reply to the ad". That way I have control over who & when I call.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Don't do that.

I miss Tom.

My condolences.
    I agree. Request their phone number and call them the first time using *67 prefix, that will block your number from showing up. I do that all the time. Forgot about that. Thanks Oz'.

No, no, no, Bob. Thank YOU!

That's also why I don't text for initial contact, as far as I know, I can't block my number from showing up that way.

Oh and don't let them tell you that craigslist email relay will end soon, so send your real email address. CL email relay works for 6 months.

I'm quite local to the boat, if I wasn't desperately looking for new affordable housing, I'd volunteer to help out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Meryll, check out Wolfe Marine on Portage Bay. They used to deal in a lot of classic woodies, I think they still do but not sure.

http://www.yachtworld.com/wolfemarin...emarine_0.html

I was just going to suggest Wolfe.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I see that Tad Roberts has gotten the word out on FaceBook.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryll_Larkin View Post
    This is Tom Larkin's widow, Meryll. I need advice and help about selling the Coot: like resources for some minor repairs, advice about where and how to post, how much I should be asking? I started with this http://boatbuild.wordpress.com and don't know if I have all the information that potential buyers would want (see specification page). Someone told me that I should get a motor evaluation of how many hours are on the motor. Does this seem worthwhile? Or a boat appraisal? Does anyone know of a boat broker or dealer in the Puget Sound area who would even consider selling the Coot (while the boat stays in Seattle)? I have a lot of trouble maneuvering the Coot back into her moorage slip after I take her out. I feel like I need to be able to do this. Where would I get instructions or pointers?
    Merryll, so sorry to hear that Tom has passed away, my wife Denny and I met you on board your little ship at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival a while back, great boat. Liked your bright blue hair as well.
    We've a friend in PT who is ex Coastguard, a very competent boat handler who may be prepared to help and if you are interested I can send you his contact details.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Bump