Thread: Is it time for WBF to modernize ?

Default Is it time for WBF to modernize ?

Now that ads are accepted here,perhaps it's time for the WBF launch a forum that enables a user to post images directly. Depending on host sites results in lost images and requires "lessons" on how to post images here. Below is one such site that accepts ads discreetly and has ease of operation in posting etc. .

JD

http://modelshipworld.com/
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: Is it time for WBF to modernize ?

I don't see why they'd want to have to deal with a server with enough storage capacity to actually host the images. The motivation for Woodenboat Magazine to host this forum isn't altruistic; it helps promote their interests, boosts circulation, provides support for their advertisers, etc.... but it doesn't directly make any money.

My guess is that their use of Vbulletin software is economical, and requires relatively little of Scot's time to supervise... and there would be no reason to want to increase the workload.

I. for one, am grateful for the service this forum provides, even if it's reason for existence isn't altruistic in it's primary goal.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

I think easy picture posting would lead to a better quality of discussion about boat related topics, more users, more revenue for the site. So yes, absolutely, as it makes good commercial sense.

I agree, I want pics directly from my hand held puter........ It ceased being a " phone " long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

I'd be happy to pay $25/year to support a more modern and fun forum.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

The Tapatalk app makes posting pics right from from your phone or tablet's memory dead simple. No need for the image to be on the web!!

On the computer( a MAC running Firefox), for pics on the web, I simply open another tab and then drag drop images from there to the tab with the post entry box open. Pics on my computer must be moved to the web--or my phone ( see above)-before I can post them.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sorry Jack... odds aren't in your favor that we'll start hosting images.

-Scot

Forget it Dillon; appealing to the great Scott in regard to a photo software upgrade is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Sorry Jack... odds aren't in your favor that we'll start hosting images.

-Scot
    Whoa.......... God has answered..........
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

One other point: it could be an issue of liability, with regard to copyrights. A site that contains references to other sites, I suspect, isn't treading on the possibility of a lawsuit over copyrights... whereas, a site that hosts images has to insure that those images are not copyright violations.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The Tapatalk app makes posting pics right from from your phone or tablet's memory dead simple. No need for the image to be on the web!!

On the computer( a MAC running Firefox), for pics on the web, I simply open another tab and then drag drop images from there to the tab with the post entry box open. Pics on my computer must be moved to the web--or my phone ( see above)-before I can post them.

Kevin
    Really? I haven't tried tapatalk as Ive never been aware of better functionality, and this doesn't seem to have been mentioned in any of the myriad how to,post pictures discussions. Can you expand?

Oh and Scot, thanks for letting us know

Dang it, and just when photobucket has become so weighted down with ads and popups and junk that it has become completely unuseable .

Good to see you Jack.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    One other point: it could be an issue of liability, with regard to copyrights. A site that contains references to other sites, I suspect, isn't treading on the possibility of a lawsuit over copyrights... whereas, a site that hosts images has to insure that those images are not copyright violations.
    Agreed. There are definite copyright issues here. Essentially there are two ways to display images here..

Copy the image file to your own server (or WBF's server)..That copying will create copyright infringement liability unless a defense, such as fair use, public domain, or license, applies.

Use an img-src link to the image at the proprietor's Web page, to make your page appear to contain the image.
    The US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit considered this fact.. The court held that, when Google provided links to images, Google did not violate the provisions of the copyright law prohibiting unauthorized reproduction and distribution of copies of a work: "Because Google's computers do not store the photographic images, Google does not have a copy of the images for purposes of the Copyright Act."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyri...ng_and_framing
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Whoa.......... God has answered..........
    I was going to say something similar.
    No doubt storage would have to be upgraded to do it.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

It is not {{{that}}} hard to post a photo.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Dang it, and just when photobucket has become so weighted down with ads and popups and junk that it has become completely unuseable .
    Try Smugmug
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Really? I haven't tried tapatalk as Ive never been aware of better functionality, and this doesn't seem to have been mentioned in any of the myriad how to,post pictures discussions. Can you expand
    There's not much to say. In the app, you repy to a thread, and there is a photo icon. Click it, and your phone's photos open up. Select the photo and hit send.
    That's it.

Kevin

edit TYPO
    Last edited by Breakaway; 03-15-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I send in suggestions to the boss all the time but he never responds ..

I asked for a " sticky" for every thread I post.

Their loss...........

Modernize? You mean 'glass boats?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    There's not much to say. In the app, you repy to a thread, and there is a photo icon. Click it, and your phone's photos open up. Select the photo and hit send.
    That's it.

Kevin

edit TYPO
    Sounds good. Worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was going to say something similar.
    No doubt storage would have to be upgraded to do it.
    Storage is cheap - the big additional expense is comms bandwidth.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.