Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9' sailboat, row boat and life boat in one

Default 9' sailboat, row boat and life boat in one

Hi I am building an everything boat that will go with me on my big sailboat around the world as a general runabout and as my lifeboat with no motor. It will be built out of plywood and fiberglass. And would like some tips to make it more seaworthy and lighter

Default Re: 9' sailboat, row boat and life boat in one

Might help to know the weight and its design before anyone can make an informed way to make it "better".

Portland Pudgy: http://www.portlandpudgy.com/

Might give you some ideas............

Thoughts perhaps a tad outside your current envelope:

The two major limiting factors for a dink on a small cruising sloop are space under the boom and length. The latter can be increased if you design the boat long enough to extend over the companionway to the back of the coach roof or even a little beyond. A detachable transom then makes this into the ultimate rigid dodger.

Nine feet is about minimum for a dink, maybe a bit small for a lifeboat, but if you can make something longer it's all good.

For floatation, if you can find or form 6" half round closed cell foam (maybe rolled sheets or maybe stacked) you could cover that with heavy canvass and make full length fender/floats to attach just below the gunnels outboard. On a ten or so foot dink this is maybe 800# floatation all right where it will keep the boat upright if awash.

I'd not worry about ultra light because you'll need to use the main halyard to sway her out anyway. Even a very light boat and even with plenty of room the problems of rolling her upright and over the rails with no damage are extreme. Add in the way the boom will be in the way and you're sunk. If you have three lines about a couple fathoms each spliced to the corners of the transom (not the part that comes off) and the center of the bow, you can have a bridle that will pick up the boat and allow you to snake her out from under or back under the boom and roll either upright or upside-down. If you don't have a self-tailing winch for the main halyard, just clip on a 3:1 handybilly to the end of the halyard so you can both haul and push the dink away from the mother ship's sides.

G'luck

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How big is your big sailboat?
    I carry 2 hard dingys on my 34'er. An 8 'toro and a 10 '2 bow boat. Both are launched and retrieved without halyards. The trick is this was planned out before the boat was built.

Have you seen DV Loans idea?

I had a very similar idea to DV loans idea having the top solid and being able to get inside.

The boats dimensions would be 9' by 4' by 3' 5"

Why reinvent the wheel, Bolger fast brick.

http://thegreatsea.homestead.com/fastb.html

Or this folding multi-purpose design. It never got into production but I can imagine a nesting PT 11 http://www.ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11Home.html being altered to do similar service: http://www.landlpardey.com/an-easy-t...life-boat.html
    Last edited by rbgarr; 03-15-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

The Pudgy has it all.
    -Dave

I like the Portland pudgy but it can't handle much more than two people comfortably with the canopy up.

And with the folding boats rbgarr mentioned I don't trust anything that can fold while I'm on it but it makes sence space wise

I think I'm going to go with the plans skaraborgcraft suggested because it fills all my needs. I really appreciate all the advice that was given and will take the advice into my future builds

I actually want to do this same exact thing for my 33 ft boat. I was thinking a nesting 11 or 12 footer, with a seven or eight foot section, so I can use it as a pram without the other part, with built in closed cell floatation, and maybe even a small glassed in water tank or two below the floor boards somehow, adding a small amount of water ballast, and it could be filled with a rain water catch system. It would have a small sealed compartment with a deck plate for dry storage, spars would fit inside the boat for storage, three reef points in the sail, and my "hail mary" (survival) bucket would never leave the boat. It would have a clear plastic tarp to catch rain water, a small amount of fishing gear, one of those tiny survival water filters (I have one that is about 1" diameter x 4" long), a wool blanket, a couple knives, etc. I have a list.

I'm glad this thread was started. The Sleeper looks very interesting and I'd like to look into that.

wizbang, can you tell us about your method of launching the boats from deck without halyards?

Edit: Just a bridle clipped into the end of the boom, with either the topping lift or a line with a few purchases in hand to drop it?

Im very interested in the sleeper as well and plan on building that instead for the fact that it covers everything on my list and more.

There's not much on that boat but here's what I found.http://bills-log.blogspot.ca/2012_09...chive.html?m=1

A friend modded his 9' GRP tender to double as a lifeboat. Found that all the unsinkable bits and stowage for food, canopy etc. made it very clunky for everyday use. Mothership was a 34' Pinky 'Sunrise' from Benford.

[QUOTE=Train;5186318]wizbang, can you tell us about your method of launching the boats from deck without halyards?

Edit: Just a bridle clipped into the end of the boom, with either the topping lift or a line with a few purchases in hand to drop it?[/QUOTE

well ,for starters my boat is mostly flush deck.No leaky varnished butterfly hatch in the way. I do not have lifelines and stantions. But laminated curved wood rails that seize onto my main and mizzen rigging.After emptying a skiff, I simply lean over and grab a side rail and heave ho. Either dingy balances on the rail while I get re positioned , Then I get one knee under the boat, turn her 180,and plop it home. No hard chocks. My 10 footer goes first,fender under each side, wrapped and trapped. I flip it for a long ocean sail but mostly right side up. The el toro comes next and lays at an angle on the lines that secure the other boat, so it "floats" on the other boats lines. I am fit but weigh only 150. When I buggered up my wrist last year my 100 pound wife had to help me a bit.
    That said, my dinks are not life rafts, I think that idea is daft. I have a bona fide Avon and an epirb and a ditch kit( huge waste of money wink wink)

I need my other computer and better wifi to post photos. Anchored in some goofy french island just now.
    bruce (Wizbang is a boat)

[QUOTE=wizbang 13;5186449]
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    wizbang, can you tell us about your method of launching the boats from deck without halyards?

Edit: Just a bridle clipped into the end of the boom, with either the topping lift or a line with a few purchases in hand to drop it?[/QUOTE

well ,for starters my boat is mostly flush deck.No leaky varnished butterfly hatch in the way. I do not have lifelines and stantions. But laminated curved wood rails that seize onto my main and mizzen rigging.After emptying a skiff, I simply lean over and grab a side rail and heave ho. Either dingy balances on the rail while I get re positioned , Then I get one knee under the boat, turn her 180,and plop it home. No hard chocks. My 10 footer goes first,fender under each side, wrapped and trapped. I flip it for a long ocean sail but mostly right side up. The el toro comes next and lays at an angle on the lines that secure the other boat, so it "floats" on the other boats lines. I am fit but weigh only 150. When I buggered up my wrist last year my 100 pound wife had to help me a bit.
    That said, my dinks are not life rafts, I think that idea is daft. I have a bona fide Avon and an epirb and a ditch kit( huge waste of money wink wink)

I need my other computer and better wifi to post photos. Anchored in some goofy french island just now.
    bruce (Wizbang is a boat)
    Bruce, you should learn by now that your name on this forum is Bruce Wizbang, or Wiz for short

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever designed a boat such that the tender/life-boat was the "cockpit", and the "cock-pit" lifts out of the 'cockpit' when launched?

In one of Tim Severin's books (perhaps it was In Search of Moby Dick?) he builds as usual an indigenous boat and sails it around; here it was in Malaysia or Indonesia, and on this boat I noted they had stowed a skinny outrigger canoe (a dug-out I believe) along the length of the mat-cabin (outriggers stowed). It seemed as if it did not take much room, and you could still work around the boat along the sides; it took at least a couple of adults. Seems to me an outrigger canoe built with modern materials and a fold-back outrigger set-up might make a very tidy tender/life-boat for some kinds of sailboats. -- Wade
    Last edited by wtarzia; 03-16-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by openboater View Post
    Why reinvent the wheel, Bolger fast brick.

http://thegreatsea.homestead.com/fastb.html
    --- Never saw that one. Oddly fascinating. I know it can probably sail OK; I borrowed a Puddleduck once for a week's camp cruise (4x8 box with rocker). Rocker is kind of important; I see it forward but I didn't see much on the aft section of this brick, but perhaps I missed it? -- Wade

I am also reminded now of Matt Layden's Everglades Challenge boat, "Sandflea," a pram of not more than 10 feet LOA, with full-length side airtanks for safety, storage, and side-deck sitting. His 9 foot "Ilusion" used in the 1200 mile Ultimate Florida Challenge might be worth a look as it is made to sleep inside but probably a bit much for stow-on-deck with the cabin-top. -- Wade

While I love the idea of combining lifeboat and dinghy, they have different requirements. I carry both. The inflatable raft stores on deck while cruising and below at the dock. I now have a folding dinghy that stores on the cabin as a tender.
    Or, you can just have a seaworthy dinghy, like a dory skiff or peapod. The likelihood of abandoning ship is slim. A lifeboat is only necessary if you abandon ship far from shore in a rough sea without prompt rescue, which is extremely unlikely. So carry a good seaworthy dinghy and concentrate on keeping the mothership out of trouble.
    Good luck. If you build a dinghy/liferaft, post your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post

Edit: Just a bridle clipped into the end of the boom, with either the topping lift or a line with a few purchases in hand to drop it?

sorry i forgot my pants, i am in guadeloupe fer cristsake

Seahopper folding boats have an option of adding flotation tubes to the outside of the hull.
    You might consider that to make a dinghy a better lifeboat.

That's a great idea and I've been wondering how to add stability, I will look into it.

At inspection day at this year's Everglades Challenge there was a Sea Pearl 21 that had boat fenders tied horizontally along the entire gunwales of the boat. In the conditions they were likely to face the next day, it looked like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    At inspection day at this year's Everglades Challenge there was a Sea Pearl 21 that had boat fenders tied horizontally along the entire gunwales of the boat. In the conditions they were likely to face the next day, it looked like a good idea to me.
    --- A large dory or sampan that Joshua Slocum built on a South American beach to get home after shipwreck used bundled bamboo sponsons the same way. -- Wade

I've been using bamboo for my seats in my boats and not only do they add flotation, they allow water to drain from the boat when righting after capsize and they are also standby repair material for bowsprits, booms and boomkins should one of those break. A roll of ducktape and good supply of bamboo can fix a lot of things. In the Texas 200, I overtook Donovan's Big Bird Great Pelican with its broken gaff and I didn't think of it at the time (too busy trying to survive myself!) but I had everything onboard my boat that could have repaired his rig as I had also brought along some heavy wire.

Wade, so which was it? A dory or a sampan?

... Wade, so which was it? A dory or a sampan?
    --- I have heard it called both. It certainly had a junk rig, which Slocum admired for its control. "The Voyage of the Liberdade." -- Wade

Captain William Short, designer of the Pelican boats, liked the junk rig he came with for his own personal Great Pelican. He wrote that he liked the efficiency of its operation - being able to reef from the helm was mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain William Short, designer of the Pelican boats, liked the junk rig he came with for his own personal Great Pelican. He wrote that he liked the efficiency of its operation - being able to reef from the helm was mentioned. ...
    --- Gary Dierking also uses one on his Tamanu outrigger canoe design -- I believe he cut some of the bottom off a Tornado sail and rigged the sheet junk style; he really likes it. -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Have you seen DV Loans idea?

this is as good or better than some of those Escher drawings! ... the boat is 4' wide... how wide is the person sleeping ? how wide is the foot well in the middle of the boat?... now... how wide is the center hatch for two people to enter and exit the below decks sleeping area?

oh and how much head room when in the sleeping area?