Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenjamin
    • May 2005

Re: 9' sailboat, row boat and life boat in one

I've been using bamboo for my seats in my boats and not only do they add flotation, they allow water to drain from the boat when righting after capsize and they are also standby repair material for bowsprits, booms and boomkins should one of those break. A roll of ducktape and good supply of bamboo can fix a lot of things. In the Texas 200, I overtook Donovan's Big Bird Great Pelican with its broken gaff and I didn't think of it at the time (too busy trying to survive myself!) but I had everything onboard my boat that could have repaired his rig as I had also brought along some heavy wire.

Wade, so which was it? A dory or a sampan?

Comment

• wtarzia
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kenjamin
      ... Wade, so which was it? A dory or a sampan?
      --- I have heard it called both. It certainly had a junk rig, which Slocum admired for its control. "The Voyage of the Liberdade." -- Wade

Comment

• kenjamin
        • May 2005

Captain William Short, designer of the Pelican boats, liked the junk rig he came with for his own personal Great Pelican. He wrote that he liked the efficiency of its operation - being able to reef from the helm was mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• wtarzia
          • Feb 2007

Captain William Short, designer of the Pelican boats, liked the junk rig he came with for his own personal Great Pelican. He wrote that he liked the efficiency of its operation - being able to reef from the helm was mentioned. ...
          --- Gary Dierking also uses one on his Tamanu outrigger canoe design -- I believe he cut some of the bottom off a Tornado sail and rigged the sheet junk style; he really likes it. -- Wade

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
            Banned
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by skaraborgcraft
            Have you seen DV Loans idea?

this is as good or better than some of those Escher drawings! ... the boat is 4' wide... how wide is the person sleeping ? how wide is the foot well in the middle of the boat?... now... how wide is the center hatch for two people to enter and exit the below decks sleeping area?

oh and how much head room when in the sleeping area?

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
              Banned
              • Jan 2007

At inspection day at this year's Everglades Challenge there was a Sea Pearl 21 that had boat fenders tied horizontally along the entire gunwales of the boat. In the conditions they were likely to face the next day, it looked like a good idea to me.
              hmmmmm interesting.... outside of gunnwales?

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                Banned
                • Jan 2007

here's the Pudgy everyone is banging on about...

Comment

• Mitch.sails.sv.pelican
                  • Mar 2017

The hatch is 18 by 24 inches which sounds small but if you google the boat it puts it into perspective.

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mitch.sails.sv.pelican
                    The hatch is 18 by 24 inches which sounds small but if you google the boat it puts it into perspective.
                    ok, so lets do the math now, once one person is inside laying on their back on one side of the boat how much room is left for the other person to enter through a center hatch 18" wide? (I am a bout 24inches wide at the shoulders and the boat is 4' (Im assuming from a 4x8 sheet of ply so mabey the interior is a little less than 4' wide ?! that is one tight little boat... a wider hatch than shown would be an absolute min and I would wonder about the functionality of other features as well...

Comment

• tink
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Daniel Noyes
                      this is as good or better than some of those Escher drawings! ... the boat is 4' wide... how wide is the person sleeping ? how wide is the foot well in the middle of the boat?... now... how wide is the center hatch for two people to enter and exit the below decks sleeping area?

oh and how much head room when in the sleeping area?
                      The picture of him sleeping in that boat makes me claustrophobic just looking at it, not for me.

Comment

• tink
                        • Dec 2011

The picture of him sleeping in that boat makes me claustrophobic just luooking at it, not for me.

Comment

• Lugalong
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by wtarzia
                          --- I have heard it called both. It certainly had a junk rig, which Slocum admired for its control. "The Voyage of the Liberdade." -- Wade

Always an inspiration to read what Slocum wrote about his building of the Liberdade, which he describes as being ‘got’ “from my recollections of a Cape Ann dories and from a photo of a very elegant Japanese sampan, which I had before me on the spot.

Her rig was the Chinese SAMPAN style”

"The Liberdade was in the beginning built with an axe an adze and two saws, a couple of augers, a couple of sail needles (converted into nailing bits)…and”most precious of all, a file we found in an old sail bag washed up on the beach”

Read his account to find out what he used as fastenings.

Comment

Working...