Thread: QT skiff - no instructions or short instructions

Default QT skiff - no instructions or short instructions

I have a set of plans for the QT skiff but it's really short on instructions, limited to 1 page and difficult to make sense of. Has anyone built this boat that might be able to help decipher some of the plans?
    I have all the measurements but I cannot seem to figure where the side plywood panels are in the plan, it only has the temporary forms.
    The plans don;t seem t say anything about wale/stick length.

In this guide, I don;t see any temporary forms used at all: http://toledocommunityboathouse.com/...kiff/index.htm
    Last edited by qwertyjjj; 03-14-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Default Re: QT skiff - no instructions or short instructions

Jim's book will help

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/bo...alak/index.htm

lotsa good information in it AND PICS...

as well as a set of plans for the QT Skiff and the Power QT Skiff

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

The plans show 4 forms, and the sizes are given. The side plank expansions are on the plans too. The whale length you can measure when you have got that far, usually a bit easier to have them over length so you can bend them in.

Think I've figured some of it out. It's because the plan divides the side panel into 4 sections because of a curve i think. I thought this was individual parts.
    So, the 3rd 4'x8' of plywood is for the temporary forms?

What am i supposed to make the whales from? That's not in the plans as far as i can see. A 2x something?

FARLEY BOAT WORKS in PORT ARANSAS, TEXAS has used this design for their FAMILY BOAT BUILDING WORKSHOPS for the last coupla years

both at their PLYWOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL & for their SPRING BREAK BUILDS

as i rememberize they have built 10+ of the QT's, in both the rowing & power versions

there is a contact button on this page showing how to contact Frank

http://portaransasmuseum.org/spring-...boat-building/

in answer to your Q about the wales IIRC they are made from 2 layers of 3/4 stock which results in a cross section of aprox 1.5"x1.5"

i say "aprox" because they aren't square when finished

IIRC the wale & chine blanks were cut from 16' - 1x10's(for some reason, unknown to this old man, 1x10's can be found w/ fewer flaws)

the laminated result will be stiffer and hold it's shape better than a solid wale

sorry i can't answer your other Q's better as my BOOK is currently 35 miles from this old man's chair

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Jim's book will help

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/bo...alak/index.htm

lotsa good information in it AND PICS...

as well as a set of plans for the QT Skiff and the Power QT Skiff

sw
    Guess I should have bought the book instead of the plans

The instruction says:
    Wales from 3/4" x 1-1/4" lumber from 2 laminations to finish 1-1/4" x 1-1/2". Inner lamination to have 23 degree bevel.
    Nothing on length so I measure the length?
    Also how does a 3/4" x 1-1/4" cut in half finish bigger at 1-1/4" x 1-1/2"? Does the lamination mean rip the wood in half?
    I missing something on that instruction line

One handy trick I used to build "Leeward", the Chamberlain gunning dory, was to make a scale model. I used 1-1/2" = 1' as then 1/8" = 1", a handy scale that's small enough to make stiff thick cardboard mold stations set up on a strong back and work the planking out from ordinary modeling balsa. The process was close enough to a real build that I solved a lot of problems right there and it gave reliable patterns to expand for lofting the planks.

It sounds like work but making a model answers so many questions and if you err the cost is pennies in money and minutes in time compared to the same error in the full build.

G'luck

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    FARLEY BOAT WORKS in PORT ARANSAS, TEXAS has used this design for their FAMILY BOAT BUILDING WORKSHOPS for the last coupla years

both at their PLYWOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL & for their SPRING BREAK BUILDS

as i rememberize they have built 10+ of the QT's, in both the rowing & power versions

there is a contact button on this page showing how to contact Frank

http://portaransasmuseum.org/spring-...boat-building/

in answer to your Q about the wales IIRC they are made from 2 layers of 3/4 stock which results in a cross section of aprox 1.5"x1.5"

i say "aprox" because they aren't square when finished

IIRC the wale & chine blanks were cut from 16' - 1x10's(for some reason, unknown to this old man, 1x10's can be found w/ fewer flaws)

the laminated result will be stiffer and hold it's shape better than a solid wale

sorry i can't answer your other Q's better as my BOOK is currently 35 miles from this old man's chair

sw
    Aha! Lamination meaning stuck together.
    Are they glued or epoxy'd together? Is that really stronger than just one solid piece of wood?!

There are advantages to buying plans from designers known to provide excellent builders manuals: Oughtred, Storer, et.al.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    There are advantages to buying plans from designers known to provide excellent builders manuals: Oughtred, Storer, et.al.
    It's 1 of the 3 plans i have. The QT was going to be attempted last. I'm just trying to figure it out that's all. I have some plans for SOF canoes as well but i wanted 1 skiff with a 5hp max motor and the qt is it

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
    It's 1 of the 3 plans i have. The QT was going to be attempted last. I'm just trying to figure it out that's all. I have some plans for SOF canoes as well but i wanted 1 skiff with a 5hp max motor and the qt is it
    Another thing that's handy is a living designer - who's available to answer questions. I've never built anything from Michalak, but I understand he's pretty accessible. You might contact him...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

qwertyjjj; Guess I should have bought the book instead of the plans

YEPPERS

The instruction says: Wales from 3/4" x 1-1/4" lumber from 2 laminations to finish 1-1/4" x 1-1/2". Inner lamination to have 23 degree bevel.

THE 23 BEVEL GOES ON THE TOP SO YOU HAVE A HORIZONTAL SURFACE FOR 1/4" THEN THE 2ND PIECE IS SCREWED/GLUED TO THE OUTER SIDE OF THE 1ST

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Also how does a 3/4" x 1-1/4" cut in half finish bigger at 1-1/4" x 1-1/2"? Does the lamination mean rip the wood in half?

NO, YOU START W/ 3/4" THICK MATERIAL AS IN A 1X10(1X10'S SEEM TO HAVE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF FLAWS

I missing something on that instruction line

STILL AWAY FROM MY BOOK, SORRY

sw

steve

Yes, along the curve of the sheer and add two feet or so, which will make bending them on easier. Longer provides more leverage, and the portion overhanging the end of the boat can be handy to have as leverage. You then cut them off flush with the boat.

As you've discovered, plans are not instructions. Most plans are produced so that the basics are there, and rely on the experience and resourcefulness of the builder. Coming here, you are being resourceful. Building this boat, you are gaining experience.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Laminate before or after attaching to the sides?
    I'm guessing 2 wales together will be harder to bend?
    But if i do it after, the only way will be to screw them together.

Laminate in place according to his book P. 38. Put glue on the outside piece, clamp in place, then add screws about every 12"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    One handy trick I used to build "Leeward", the Chamberlain gunning dory, was to make a scale model. I used 1-1/2" = 1' as then 1/8" = 1", a handy scale that's small enough to make stiff thick cardboard mold stations set up on a strong back and work the planking out from ordinary modeling balsa. The process was close enough to a real build that I solved a lot of problems right there and it gave reliable patterns to expand for lofting the planks.

It sounds like work but making a model answers so many questions and if you err the cost is pennies in money and minutes in time compared to the same error in the full build.

G'luck
    Great idea. I don't have any modelling balsa though. Kebab sticks, straws?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
    Great idea. I don't have any modelling balsa though. Kebab sticks, straws?
    You can use dollar store poster board. It's much cheaper and easier to bend.

Building a model, even unfinished simple ones, you can glean a lot of good info on the process. I've built quite a few just to satisfy the urge to see how something goes together. All you need is quick dry glue, a scale ruler, an X-acto Knife and some thin bass wood sheets from Michaels, Hobby Lobby or a similar hobby/craft store. Grocery bags and Scotch tape make decent sails. Card stock/poster board also works and can be taped together. That's how I first started, but moved to bass wood after a while.

-Trevor