Thread: Safety myths

Default Safety myths

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Default Re: Safety myths

"Staying with the boat" is a good one, but it applies after the boat has stopped being useful as anything except a large piece of debris that is easier to find than a small human floating in the water. If you are in deep enough to call the CG to come and get you, or the CG have made the decision that that is your best option, then you leave it behind when they find you.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

This fellows experience is fine and dandy, but I do not buy it.
    i recon if we had stronger boats in general, ones whose rudders did not "fall off", fer instance....
    Most folks he is saving are newby rubes.
    The one time I called the cops(USCG),they never answered. It was a relay-anyway, chock up two more lives saved by me. Hoo boy, in an ornery mood today!!!
    bruce

Ok, just today on facebook, I see a 38' beneteau,or something like it, abandoned15 miles away from st Bart's... rudder fell off picked up by a cruise ship, not a coast guard.
    This boat just won a second in the Heineken regatta!
    of course I dunno just what happened, and it was rough as stink last week, but I just gotta go WTF!!!
    yup, 2 days later he is posting asking folks to keep an eye out for his trophy.
    Literally , his trophy is aboard!!
    Over the decades, two friends have abandoned their boats at sea...bad weather and fatigue. Both times ,the very next day,they are hiring small planes to look for them after a night sleep ashore.
    Think long and hard before you cast off.

"Red sky at night" is in the bible, Matthew 16:3, how can it be wrong.

I'm staying with the boat.
    I delivered a Beebe trawler to Beaufort from Liquordale, it had three fuel tanks, I was about 20 miles out and it was a little bumpy. I had just enough fuel to get me there in the second tank (it had a fuel flow meter), but I figured I'd switch to the third tank to be safe. I switched over and the motor died....no fuel.
    I switched back to the second tank and called the CG. I told them I was running low on fuel, and asked them to be opn stand by.

"Captain do you have enough fuel to get to Beaufort"
    "I think so"
    "Then captain, why are you calling us?"

It took, a while to explain, and finally I said that I might break down at the harbor entrance, he actually understood that.

I went and took another look at the fuel plumbing, and found another valve in tandem with the one that I'd originally opened and we all lived happily ever after.

^ boat delivery captain is a dangerous job!!!

But safer than gigolo

Red Sky at Night etc. used to be pretty accurate, certainly where I grew up. But now there is so much crap in the air, it doesn't mean anything at all.