Thread: American Citizens: U.S. Border Agents Can Search Your Cellphone

Default American Citizens: U.S. Border Agents Can Search Your Cellphone

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...lphone-n732746

And YES it's legal. The 4th amendment doesnt extend to the border.

Three days later, they returned from another trip to Canada and were stopped again by CBP."One of the officers calls out to me and says, 'Hey, give me your phone,'" recalled Shibly. "And I said, 'No, because I already went through this.'"
    The officer asked a second time..
    Within seconds, he was surrounded: one man held his legs, another squeezed his throat from behind. A third reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone. McCormick watched her boyfriend's face turn red as the officer's chokehold tightened.
    Then they asked McCormick for her phone.
    "I was not about to get tackled," she said. She handed it over.
    Shibly and McCormick's experience is not unique. In 25 cases examined by NBC News, American citizens said that CBP officers at airports and border crossings demanded that they hand over their phones and their passwords, or unlock them.
    The travelers came from across the nation, and were both naturalized citizens and people born and raised on American soil. They traveled by plane and by car at different times through different states. Businessmen, couples, senior citizens, and families with young kids, questioned, searched, and detained for hours when they tried to enter or leave the U.S. None were on terror watchlists. One had a speeding ticket. Some were asked about their religion and their ethnic origins, and had the validity of their U.S. citizenship questioned.
    What most of them have in common — 23 of the 25 — is that they are Muslim, like Shibly, whose parents are from Syria.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: American Citizens: U.S. Border Agents Can Search Your Cellphone

In the full story, they said it was never intended to be used except in certain, thought out instances. But - this is an example of why we should always be careful of giving power to the gov't - it will be abused. Of course with the atmosphere being created by the current president, they will make it more stringent down the road.

I know a # of people who commute across the border (live in Quebec, work in Vermont or vice-versa) & even folks who've been doing this for years & years are getting hassled more.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Just Fyi the orange areas on the map are considered boarder areas as well as all international airports.

Popularly, "the border" is a line between United States and Mexico. But officially, it’s a 100-mile area that stretches all the way around the United States — covering as much as two-thirds of the nation’s population. The legal definition of the border matters because the government has long said it can do things "at the border" to track down unauthorized migration and smuggling that it can’t do other places, from setting up "checkpoints" within the United States to check drivers’ citizenship to straight-up racial profiling. As recently as 2011, Border Patrol officers were boarding buses in upstate New York to ask passengers for IDs, and responding to police calls in Forks, Washington. New guidance from the federal government, which came out in December 2014, has opened the door to narrowing the definition of the "border" — but it’s not clear whether it will.

While this is old news, the numbers are insignificant.

If you have something you don't want the border people to look at, don't carry it into the country.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Just Fyi the orange areas on the map are considered boarder areas as well as all international airports.

Popularly, "the border" is a line between United States and Mexico. But officially, it’s a 100-mile area that stretches all the way around the United States — covering as much as two-thirds of the nation’s population. The legal definition of the border matters because the government has long said it can do things "at the border" to track down unauthorized migration and smuggling that it can’t do other places, from setting up "checkpoints" within the United States to check drivers’ citizenship to straight-up racial profiling. As recently as 2011, Border Patrol officers were boarding buses in upstate New York to ask passengers for IDs, and responding to police calls in Forks, Washington. New guidance from the federal government, which came out in December 2014, has opened the door to narrowing the definition of the "border" — but it’s not clear whether it will.
    So - all the houses in that zone are boarding houses?

I have been stopped by the BP - about 70 miles from the border. Since I did not cross any border (even a state one), I felt completely free to not answer their questions (as did others). They didn't like it & made me wait about 2 hours before letting me take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post

If you have something you don't want the border people to look at, don't carry it into the country.
    Rights are insignificant. OK......................

A common scene in all Nazi war movies, "Give me your papers."
    “What better way for a ruling class to claim and hold power than to pose as the defenders of the nation.” Christopher Hitchens

Or, apparently, don't take it to Duluth from Minneapolis, or anywhere in Maine.

"If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about." is what every tyranny has told its citizens.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So - all the houses in that zone are boarding houses?
    That's da facts, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

"If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about." is what every tyranny has told its citizens.
    Or San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego etc.

"Law enforcement officials in California have accused federal agents of using a gang investigation as a cover for detaining undocumented immigrants.

“I want to underscore that we would never have participated or cooperated in this operation if we had known that it included immigration enforcement,” Santa Cruz Police Chief Kevin Vogel said at a news conference earlier this week. Santa Cruz is a sanctuary city for immigrants.

“As a result of this betrayal of trust, we will be taking a long and hard look about whether we will cooperate with this federal agency in the future,” he said. “We can’t cooperate with a law enforcement agency we cannot trust.”

The raids were launched Feb. 13 against local gang MS-13, which includes members from El Salvador. Police had been investigating the gang for years. Vogel noted that 10 individuals suspected of extortion, drug trafficking and murder had been arrested in Santa Cruz, Daly City and Watsonville.

“I want to very clear today, that the only reason members of the Santa Cruz police participated in this operation was to arrest violent gang members,” Vogel said. DHS officials “assured” police that the operation did not have an “immigration component,” he added.

But police discovered later that DHS officials “had acted outside of the scope of this operation and had detained and removed a number of individuals from various locations based upon their immigration status,” Vogel said, noting that these people “may or may not have been related” to the criminal investigation.

The police chief said several people were secretly removed from areas that didn’t have police on the scene and sent to DHS sites in other counties for processing, according to ABC-7 TV.

“The detention and the removal of these individuals based solely upon their immigration status flies in the face of the City Council resolution declaring Santa Cruz a place of trust and safety for all local immigrants,” Vogel said at the press conference. “The community has an absolute right to be angry about this.”

A DHS spokesman denied the police had been duped.

“Allegations that the agency secretly planned an immigration enforcement action in hopes there would be new political leadership that would allow for an alleged ‘secret’ operation to take place are completely false, reckless and disturbing,” James Schwab said in a statement. He also said 11 people had been detained over immigration issues alone, and that 10 already had been released.

Vogel said last week that the police department had yet to receive any specifics or documentation about the number or identity of people detained. Based on their own information sources, however, Santa Cruz officials believe at least 10 people were detained over immigration status alone, and that six were released with GPS tracking devices so that they could be located for upcoming court cases, according to Assistant Santa Cruz Police Chief Dan Flippo.

Santa Cruz isn’t the only city that was antagonized by the DHS and federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents this week. Los Angeles officials have written a letter to ICE demanding that immigration agents stop calling themselves “police.” The practice undermines the police department’s years of work building trust in the city’s large immigrant community, according to a letter signed by LA Mayor Eric Garcetti, the city attorney and City Council president.

An ICE spokeswoman said in response to the letter that immigration agents can “initially identify themselves as ‘police,’” although they also wear badges saying “ICE,” the Los Angeles Times reported."

A classic response from someone who thinks it won't happen to him.

Most of our politicians are lawyers, don't they cover the Constitution in law school anymore?

Quick note: Blue eyed people probably don't have to worry.
    “What better way for a ruling class to claim and hold power than to pose as the defenders of the nation.” Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Yet. Do you think that Bannon or Conway will not view me as the enemy once they get around to Democrats, liberals, whatever?

Right. Blue-eyed blondes. The true Aryans.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

WHEW I'm Safe !!!

How about Green eyed blondes ?

I can't tell you how much I detest this type of attitude. Our Bill of Rights is supposed to protect the right of people against unreasonable searches. Once a right is lost for some, it is lost for all people.

"When they came for the Jews, I did not complain, because I was not a Jew..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    I can't tell you how much I detest this type of attitude. Our Bill of Rights is supposed to protect the right of people against unreasonable searches. Once a right is lost for some, it is lost for all people.

"When they came for the Jews, I did not complain, because I was not a Jew..."
    Yep - tell them their gun buying might possibly be regulated & they'll hit the roof. Why don't some people get that there are 10 articles in the BOR & that they are there for a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    And if it does he'd be ok with it because it would validate his world view that there are bad hombres ready to walk on his lawn. It'll be his sacrifice for the greater good.

I'm ok...I live in Michigan. It could never happen here...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I'm ok...I live in Michigan. It could never happen here...

Jeff C
    That's the border crossing (Detroit) where I was told that going through Canada to get from VT to IL was "unpatriotic" & that a "patriotic American" would've gone through the US - even though hours longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Or San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego etc.
    If I read the link correctly, the searching of cell phones and computers is only allowed at the actual point of entry. So again argument based on false facts.

I did read the link and comments on the ACLU website. While I find some issues troubling, searching cell phones and computers at the border is not one of them. It appears that Obama was not concerned about the searching. So both parties should be blamed.
    Life is complex.

That's the border crossing (Detroit) where I was told that going through Canada to get from VT to IL was "unpatriotic" & that a "patriotic American" would've gone through the US - even though hours longer.
    You need to tell that moron that your brief trip to Canada taught you that it's possible to be safe without a gun, that universal health insurance is good for citizens, and that law enforcement does not need to be profoundly ignorant.

You need to tell that moron that your brief trip to Canada taught you that it's possible to be safe without a gun, that universal health insurance is good for citizens, and that law enforcement does not need to be profoundly ignorant.
    I'll let you do that when you have a line of 20 cars behind you & you've been driving 11 hours & want to get to a motel (in the US)!

I'll let you do that when you have a line of 20 cars behind you & you've been driving 11 hours & want to get to a motel (in the US)!
    Yes, and you left out the power inequity in the relationship. I would probably leave off that "profoundly ignorant" bit.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have been most of this winter in the French caribbean, something different for us .
    Anyway, twice in the past week, folks I have met told me that I look like Vlad Putin!
    and that was with my shirt ON!
    i should empty my pockets of rubles before coming home?
    the Russian translate app gonna give me trouble?

Yes, and you left out the power inequity in the relationship. I would probably leave off that "profoundly ignorant" bit.
    Ya think leaving it off would make a difference?

Ya think leaving it off would make a difference?
    It never pays to sink to their level, even when the remark is true.

Canada can teach us many things and the more ignorant border guards need to be told that. Telling them they are ignorant will not be as satisfying as the desire to do so suggests.

I received my ACLU membership card in the mail last week. I guess they are a bit behind getting them out due to the demand.
    I feel like I have Super Hero strengths when I read this thread now.

Get one for yourselves.

I am glad I am older than those kids who would be roughing me up when I resist. When I think of it, I've got nothing to lose in this Geezer status and that can be dangerous.
    Study Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I received my ACLU membership card in the mail last week. I guess they are a bit behind getting them out due to the demand.
    I feel like I have Super Hero strengths when I read this thread now.

Get one for yourselves.

I am glad I am older than those kids who would be roughing me up when I resist. When I think of it, I've got nothing to lose in this Geezer status and that can be dangerous.
    I better check the mail!

Can't wait for my 2 Muslim friends that voted for Trump to complain to me about how they were treated at the airport when returning from overseas.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!