Thread: Boat lines documentation internship available

Default Boat lines documentation internship available

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Default Re: Boat lines documentation internship available

I guess offering this to students or inexperienced people tells us about the high esteem held for this work. If students are going to do historic documentation they must be closely supervised/directed, especially when they get near any CAD machines. The mess used to illustrate the add is a great example.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

I could do the hand bits, drawing and measuring and all, but about all I could do with the computer is this type stuff. Aggravate a bunch of forumites, put up pictures of ugly doodles and ham fisted boat building.

Well, I can also plug in and unplug a computer from the wall.

Still. That would be fun. Lord knows I've wasted many hours drawing boats.

Peace,
    Robert

The way this usually works is that the interns help in the field work, in gathering data which then gets crunched by someone who has the training to run the computers. Data is now generally gathered using a laser tool or photogrammetric methods. Even in the computer and photo age, the field work takes time, just not as much as was needed when measuring by hand.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Ben- After reading the book you contributed to, that much was clear to me.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/produ...l_publications
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Not exactly a thrilling prospect. "National Park Service" says it all. You can expect your supervisor to have spent his career cataloging pots in Arizona or giving nature talks around a campfire in Yellowstone. Now he's in charge of deep water sailing ships they can barely keep afloat at the pier and are more interested in their visitor numbers and singing "sea chanteys" than maintaining vessels. In any event, expect your summer internship to be left on the cutting room floor when the current Administration's budget is finalized. The money for your job will be spent on more Humvees to replace the 2,500 they gave to Iraq which are now being used by ISIS.

Likely this is a position that is already slated to and being done by someone currently employed in the NPS, but they must offer the position publicly.

There's a fair amount of cynicism here from people who, one would think, should be thrilled at the prospect of the survey work being done. I guess it's just easier to frown than to smile. Probably something to do with gravity.

Jeff

Or its the voice of experience.
    I recognized most of the comments from my own experience, in a different field.
    People are people. And so are bosses.

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I read that job ad thinking "wouldn't that be a great way of learning how to measure and draw boats" but then I noticed they are looking for someone who already knows how to do this. Looks like the sample drawing is intended for public consumption, not for naval architects.

Here in Newfoundland I'm only aware of documentation of wooden boats being done by the master boatbuilder and assistant of the Wooden Boat Museum (a non-profit) and the people taking off the measurements are usually not the same ones that produce the drawings in the computer. On their website they have drawings with stations, waterlines and buttocks, but they just show the lines, not the internal layout, construction etc. and are a bit inconsistent with each other. http://boatsandbuilders.com/tag/design/page/2

Last year they came to my side of the island and I wanted to watch them for a day but work and other commitments got in the way and I still don't know how it's done. I saw some pictures of the actual boats on facebook and I'm hoping the drawings will make it to the website. I noticed that there is a "free pdf" about boat documentation but haven't actually been able to find it.

After working for provincial government for over ten years I know that sometimes when jobs are advertised they already have someone in mind (maybe they even tailored the job description to this person's qualifications), but sometimes totally not and the applicants will probably never know. We are being restructured right now to put it mildly. There is a lot of suspicion going around that who will get the two consolidated positions that the eight laid-off people in my office could apply for was already fixed from the outset but that showing a "process" was necessary to avoid a lawsuit.

Anyway, I hope they find people that are qualified enough to do those vessels justice and that there will be the funding to get the job done.