Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

Can't say I blame them. Probably a prudent decision.

Girl Guides of Canada has announced it will not be taking any trips to the United States in the near future, citing concerns about inclusivity.
    "While the United States is a frequent destination for Guiding trips, the ability of all our members to equally enter this country is currently uncertain," international commissioner Sharron Callahan and director of provincial operations Holly Thompson wrote in a joint advisory issued Monday afternoon.
    "This includes both trips that are over or under 72 hours and any travel that includes a connecting flight through an American airport," the advisory says.
    As a result of the decision, a nationally-sponsored trip to a camp in California that was scheduled for this summer has been changed to a different destination.
    "This was a very difficult decision to make," wrote Callahan and Thompson.
    "We hope that members will appreciate this reflects our commitment to inclusivity and equal opportunities for all girls and women."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...erns-1.4022985
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Default Re: Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

This bannon/trump guy is going to be expensive, VERY expensive.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

And also for those who want to travel out of the US.

http://www.waff.com/story/34389093/u...riction-period

Yes the immigration policies need to be overhauled but they really need to be done in a sensible manner. And yes I would call Trump and Bannon both seriously challenged in sensible thinking if they are not deliberately sowing confusion and chaos.
    Will

It's the exchange rate. Travel to the US is 1.8% more expensive than it was a year ago and those costs really add up.

Might be hard to travel by air for some that live a bit closer.

The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

One of my kids has a trip planned with a group to go to Boston in May. FWIW, the group is watching things like this.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    It's the exchange rate. Travel to the US is 1.8% more expensive than it was a year ago and those costs really add up.
    Thanks Geng...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Right, I bet you cancel roads trips to visit family when a gallon of gas goes from $2.22 to $2.26. It really adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Might be hard to travel by air for some that live a bit closer.

The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.
    Those states - even if traveling inside the US want more than a driver's license? An enhanced one? Passport?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Right, I bet you cancel roads trips to visit family when a gallon of gas goes from $2.22 to $2.26. It really adds up.
    He left off his sarcasm meter showing as pegged.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Those states - even if traveling inside the US want more than a driver's license? An enhanced one? Passport?

I'm pretty sure the problem is that driver's licenses issued by those states don't meet the federal requirements for being an acceptable form of ID to board an aircraft.
    Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
    Great for solving problems, after it creates a problem.

The people I know who refuse to enter the US, even for a layover, and there are many since I live so close to the border, never mention the exchange rate. They are, so far and without exception, unwilling to support bullies and unwilling to be bullied at the border.

I was speaking with a travel agent friend and she said that's a very common theme now. It started when Homeland Security took over the borders and became much more noticeable when Trump took office. She sees it as an informal boycott, and I don't know of anyone who would have a better feel for the pulse.

I read a recent newspaper article citing a local school cancelling trips across the border as well. There are lots of Asians living here on the coast, many of them Muslims.

I check everything I buy for it's origin, and when there's a choice I avoid "made in USA". 16% of each dollar collected by the US goes to the military, and much of that is used to promote pain, suffering and unrest in the third world as a strategy geared towards weapons sales.

The Filth is going to be responsible for a considerable net loss in jobs by the time he and his are done.

I empathise with those who try and have tried to prevent it coming to this, but sooner or later the US is going to reap what it has sown. This may be the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    I'm pretty sure the problem is that driver's licenses issued by those states don't meet the federal requirements for being an acceptable form of ID to board an aircraft.
    Huh. I've seen Maine licenses & they look almost identical to Vermont ones.

As an aside, about 15 years ago I tried to use my (absolutely bona fide) VT non-photo, on cardboard license in Florida. The woman looked at me & said "We require real driver's licenses for ID".

To the OP: A programming language I work in has a biannual conference here in the states that many developers from outside the US attend. Numbers are way down this year on out-of-the-country attendees and none have mentioned anything about exchange rates - it's 100% "I'm not dealing with the US BS".

As an aside, about 15 years ago I tried to use my (absolutely bona fide) VT non-photo, on cardboard license in Florida. The woman looked at me & said "We require real driver's licenses for ID".
    For precisely that reason, I had to go to Montpelier to the State DMV to get a plastic "picture" ID.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

"I'm not dealing with the US BS".
    Very expensive... and that's what speaks to reds.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

This is how I understand it as well. The license/ ID needs to conform to federal/ FAA/ TSA standards.

Well, the standard, or program, for conformity is, REALicense ( Really!), so she was right!

Kevi
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    This is how I understand it as well. The license/ ID needs to conform to federal/ FAA/ TSA standards.

Well, the standard, or program, for conformity is, REALicense ( Really!), so she was right!

Kevi
    Maybe - but at the time (it was probably more like 20 years ago) - what I had was all I could get!

Maybe - but at the time (it was probably more like 20 years ago) - what I had was all I could get!
    Nahhh.. Back in 1990 or 1991 was when I got the plastic picture ID one.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Nahhh.. Back in 1990 or 1991 was when I got the plastic picture ID one.
    OK - so time goes by - or is that slip slidin' away?

OK - so time goes by - or is that slip slidin' away?
    Both! I'm about to have a college freshman and can't figure out where it all went! :-P
    -William A. Ward

Passport will be required for a domestic flight.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I understood that US citizens are among the least internationally travelled populations in western democracies. So a large group would have no reason to have a passport.
    Unless of course you are talking about having to have domestic travel documents for inter-state travel now?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I understood that US citizens are among the least internationally travelled populations in western democracies. So a large group would have no reason to have a passport.
    Unless of course you are talking about having to have domestic travel documents for inter-state travel now?
    "Let me zee your pepers pleeze. Vee know you have peeple in zee old kountry."

Anyone else getting an ad for a "Rush My Passport" at the bottom of the page?

Even the Donald doesn't want to do much foreign travel.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/12/politi...vel/index.html
    Will

The Girl Guides would have nothing to worry about if they didn't let Muslim girls in the organization. Anyway, once The Trump Youth expands into Canada the Guides can be disbanded.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Yes, what's not being said is that many young people in organizations in Canada, scouts, guides, cadets, sports, are brown skinned these days.

They will have trouble at the border unless clear signals are sent by Mr. Trump to his Immigration people. And I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Yes, what's not being said is that many young people in organizations in Canada, scouts, guides, cadets, sports, are brown skinned these days.

They will have trouble at the border unless clear signals are sent by Mr. Trump to his Immigration people. And I don't see that happening.
    I think he's sent very clear signals: if you aren't white, don't bother coming - or trying to get back in.

Der Trumpenfuhrer just cemented my resolve to avoid the USA; FATCA started it. I'm sad to see the land of my birth circling the bowl, but that doesn't make me want to go back.

What are you doing about it?

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

Cash talks and BS walks.

A rout of the GOP in the mid-terms anyone?...

Followed by impeachment?

At least the Cheato Geezuz is making up for lost tourism revenues with a massive spike in costs for security for his whole family in a variety of locations.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Lots of options.
    • Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
    • U.S. passport
    • U.S. passport card
    • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
    • Permanent resident card
    • Border crossing card
    • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
    • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
    • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
    • HSPD-12 PIV card
    • Foreign government-issued passport
    • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
    • Transportation worker identification credential
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
    Life is complex.

Ah TLT, so you already need travel documents in the good old USA?
    Fancy that.

As to Donald not wanting to travel, the resultant publicity would not be good, and he cannot control the agenda OS.
    All very damaging to his ego and image.

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Lots of options.
    • Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
    • U.S. passport
    • U.S. passport card
    • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
    • Border crossing card
    • HSPD-12 PIV card
    • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
    Ummm... The pilot amongst us has been quite definitive already:

Now for the legal challenges to start mounting up regarding the Privileges and Immunities clause in your constitution. How to kill economic growth in one fell swoop 1.0.1.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The reverse of all this is also true. I am suppose to go to Canada for a meeting in June. A lot of people living in the US who are either naturalized citizens or green card holders are worried about leaving and reentering. I can't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Ah TLT, so you already need travel documents in the good old USA? Fancy that.
    No. You need one of those documents to fly on commercial airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Ummm... The pilot amongst us has been quite definitive already: (something about a passport being required.)
    So. He is wrong. The TSA website has the list I posted.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Lots of options.
    • U.S. passport
    • U.S. passport card
    • Border crossing card
    • HSPD-12 PIV card
    As mentioned, we've been told here that a Maine driver's license will not suffice - hence my question. I don't have a Maine license & do have a passport - but I was surprised to learn that others may be less fortunate, plus I don't take my passport unless I'm traveling to Canada or another foreign country. Of course Canada will happily let me in without a passport - but will be very clear that I won't be able to get back to the USSR, I mean US.

For a little (dark?) humor: