Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve McMahon
    Senior Dis-Member
    • Nov 2000

Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

Can't say I blame them. Probably a prudent decision.

Girl Guides of Canada has announced it will not be taking any trips to the United States in the near future, citing concerns about inclusivity.
    "While the United States is a frequent destination for Guiding trips, the ability of all our members to equally enter this country is currently uncertain," international commissioner Sharron Callahan and director of provincial operations Holly Thompson wrote in a joint advisory issued Monday afternoon.
    "This includes both trips that are over or under 72 hours and any travel that includes a connecting flight through an American airport," the advisory says.
    As a result of the decision, a nationally-sponsored trip to a camp in California that was scheduled for this summer has been changed to a different destination.
    "This was a very difficult decision to make," wrote Callahan and Thompson.
    "We hope that members will appreciate this reflects our commitment to inclusivity and equal opportunities for all girls and women."

Girl Guides of Canada has announced that they will not be taking any trips to the United States in the near future, citing concerns about inclusivity.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.
  • John of Phoenix
    • Jun 2001

Re: Girl Guides of Canada - cancelling all US travel.

This bannon/trump guy is going to be expensive, VERY expensive.

Comment

• willmarsh3
      • Sep 2004

And also for those who want to travel out of the US.

The University of North Alabama is advising some international students to stay in the United States during the 90-day travel restriction period.

Yes the immigration policies need to be overhauled but they really need to be done in a sensible manner. And yes I would call Trump and Bannon both seriously challenged in sensible thinking if they are not deliberately sowing confusion and chaos.
      Will

Comment

• Hugh Conway
        Banned
        • Jan 2012

It's the exchange rate. Travel to the US is 1.8% more expensive than it was a year ago and those costs really add up.

Comment

• Reynard38
          • Sep 2009

Might be hard to travel by air for some that live a bit closer.

The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.
          Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Comment

• TomF
            Recalcitrant Heretic
            • Jun 2003

One of my kids has a trip planned with a group to go to Boston in May. FWIW, the group is watching things like this.
            If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Garret
              Hills of Vermont
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Hugh Conway
              It's the exchange rate. Travel to the US is 1.8% more expensive than it was a year ago and those costs really add up.
              Thanks Geng...
              "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• LeeG
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Hugh Conway
                Right, I bet you cancel roads trips to visit family when a gallon of gas goes from $2.22 to $2.26. It really adds up.

Comment

• Garret
                  Hills of Vermont
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Reynard38
                  Might be hard to travel by air for some that live a bit closer.

The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.
                  Those states - even if traveling inside the US want more than a driver's license? An enhanced one? Passport?

Comment

• Garret
                    Hills of Vermont
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LeeG
                    Right, I bet you cancel roads trips to visit family when a gallon of gas goes from $2.22 to $2.26. It really adds up.
                    He left off his sarcasm meter showing as pegged.

Comment

• BrianY
                      Left Wing Extremist
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Garret
                      Those states - even if traveling inside the US want more than a driver's license? An enhanced one? Passport?

I'm pretty sure the problem is that driver's licenses issued by those states don't meet the federal requirements for being an acceptable form of ID to board an aircraft.
                      I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• Garret
                        Hills of Vermont
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by BrianY
                        I'm pretty sure the problem is that driver's licenses issued by those states don't meet the federal requirements for being an acceptable form of ID to board an aircraft.
                        Huh. I've seen Maine licenses & they look almost identical to Vermont ones.

As an aside, about 15 years ago I tried to use my (absolutely bona fide) VT non-photo, on cardboard license in Florida. The woman looked at me & said "We require real driver's licenses for ID".

To the OP: A programming language I work in has a biannual conference here in the states that many developers from outside the US attend. Numbers are way down this year on out-of-the-country attendees and none have mentioned anything about exchange rates - it's 100% "I'm not dealing with the US BS".

Comment

• Canoez
                          Did I say that out loud?
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Garret
                          As an aside, about 15 years ago I tried to use my (absolutely bona fide) VT non-photo, on cardboard license in Florida. The woman looked at me & said "We require real driver's licenses for ID".
                          For precisely that reason, I had to go to Montpelier to the State DMV to get a plastic "picture" ID.
                          "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                          -William A. Ward

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                            • Jun 2001

"I'm not dealing with the US BS".
                            Very expensive... and that's what speaks to reds.

Comment

• Breakaway
                              • Mar 2007

This is how I understand it as well. The license/ ID needs to conform to federal/ FAA/ TSA standards.

Well, the standard, or program, for conformity is, REALicense ( Really!), so she was right!

Kevi
                              There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

Working...