Thread: sailing off a beach..

Default sailing off a beach..

I have been sailing out of a marina for the last 12 years. I have decided to sell my (big) sailboat, my Catalina 34 and simplify my live. I live a few hundred yards off of a bay beach. For years I have been carting my CLC kayaks down to the beach for a days paddle. Is it possible to do the same with a small sailboat. One that I could store in my basement, cart down to the beach, go out for a sail, then row back in if the wind died or the current became to much. The boat would have to be stable enough to take out 3 people, including taking a young grandson or two. The bay could be choppy and get plenty of boat wakes even a swell. I like that Penobscot 17, but I believe it's to heavy to beach cart. Boat ramps in my area are pretty non existent. I could do a mooring, but that would create a need for an outboard. Any ideas for a boat to fit my idea. .
    Thanks
    Ron

Default Re: sailing off a beach..

It's not uncommon for folks in your situation to carry the boat on a dolly, and roll it down to the beach. Do you have some sort of pathway that would allow that?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes. Some 6 foot wide or more.

A dolly sounds great for your situation...but your, "stored in the basement," requirement makes the size of the boat more critical than getting to, and launching from, the beach.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I did that for years with my Bobcat. I would launch the boat,bow out, push off with an oar, drop the rudder in place, and hoist the sail. If the wind is blowing hard onto the beach, you have to row out a bit before setting sail.

A Bobcat will sail with four people aboard. I used a dolly bring the boat from the yard to the beach
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

Yes..good question. The 'garage' door is 6 feet wide. Beyond the space is 35 foot deep..and width on one side of 13 feet.

In your place I would get the boat I want and depending on size move it to the beach either with a powered dolly or a small ATV.

Here's how to launch and recover from a choppy beach. I did this for 7 years, maybe 3 times a week on the North Coast of Cornwall.

Rig her and get her absolutely ready to go, sheets slack, bungs in, rudder up. Make her painter very quick to release at the bow where she is tied on to the trailer or launch dolly, I often just wrap it around the handle a few times, and haul my boat out with my hand over it. Launch her bow first in any kind of chop, with two people at the bow; one trailer person, one boat person. Sort out who is who before you hit the water. When you are deep enough, boat person releases the painter and pushes her backwards while trailer person pulls trailer forward; often helps to use a wave to send the boat backwards up off the trailer, a nice long painter helps too, but a firm shove right off is what is needed; you don't want her coming down half on the trailer, bad things happen then. Boat person pushes boat backwards and holds boat painter while trailer person pulls trailer forward, out from under, then stows it up the beach/ramp. Mind your legs as you often can't see the trailer wheels underneath in disturbed churned up water. Trailer person then climbs in as helm, sets rudder/ sheets and then boat person climbs in as crew.

And then you both congratulate each other on such a finely tuned operation with a tot of rum, and go sailing.

For recovery, when water is shallow enough to jump out waist deep, crew readies painter, helm rounds up to wind, crew jumps out holding painter and holds her bow to wind. CB and rudder up obviously.

Helm goes to get trailer and any burly blokes that may be standing around and think it would be cool to help out with a sailing boat. Bring trailer around to the bow and get it mostly underneath the boat. Push from the bow, pull from the transom, (exiting the water backwards, always keeping bow to waves), and any other areas you can; don't hang around and let the boat bang about on the trailer, not being perfectly centered is fine, you can centre her perfectly once out of the swell. At this point, if the tide is out and I have 200 yards of soft sand to haul her over followed by a 30% ramp, and as usual I'm tired, cold and can already smell the chips and taste the beer, I usually look for a 60,000 bling rangerover passing by, whose driver never really understood the reason they bought a 4x4 but would just love the chance to use it at least once in their life, and put it to them that they could have one helluva story to tell their mates in the pub that evening if they gave my boat a tow. It always works, and they never follow up on my offer of 5 quid for their trouble.

I'd say an outrigger canoe would be perfect, but you might have problems with the beam, probably need more like 8-10 feet.