Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

Default Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

I'd really like an access hatch on my cockpit floor. The area under the cockpit is pretty inaccessible unless the engine is first pulled up. I have put my house battery there and would also like to be able to look under there occasionally. So, it doesn't need to be accessed a lot. Would be nice if it were big enough to remove the battery when needed.

I've seen an actual hatch that I could put teak on top to match the teak on the cockpit floor. That's nice. Looks like it has a water channel that would need a drain.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/newth...03-398711.html

I was thinking I could just make a removable section of the cockpit floor and dog it down with bronze bolts that have nuts imbedded below. I am thinking, however, it would be impossible to prevent leakage around the edges and dirt accumulation.
    Chuck Thompson

Default Re: Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

I think you are right.

If you're going to make it yourself it's a lot easier to make it bigger to allow for a working gutter all the way around. I like a gutter 1-1/2" or more wide so that it can be easily cleaned. This means an extra 3" length and width to make the same size working access. Then proper drains and dogs so you have a hatch that's total lift-away.

That hatch in the picture looks awfull in my eyes. I had a whole cockpit floor hatch, maybe 2in all around before the hatch lip moulding, about 3 in high, with the hatch top sitting on that, with rubber gaskets on both surfaces. Do not recall any leaks worth mentioning, did have big cockpit drains though. Used as storage for 5 20l water containers, used a grating above the hatch to force it down on its gaskets.
    Awkward access like that is a real pain, and do not forget proper ventilation if the battery has charge going into it.

Default Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

You could make a removable cockpit section- what FRP boatbuilders call a, "soft patch,"--by landing the hatch on a perimeter " shelf" on to which a gasket is applied and through which the screws run. Then, the caulking of your choice over top. It's pretty common for fuel tanks in glass powerboats to have this kind of access. The technique is well- proven.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    You could make a removable cockpit section- what FRP boatbuilders call a, "soft patch,"--by landing the hatch on a perimeter " shelf" on to which a gasket is applied and through which the screws run. Then, the caulking of your choice over top. It's pretty common for fuel tanks in glass powerboats to have this kind of access. The technique is well- proven.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent.

I would not do the teak the same as in the pic above if I used such a hatch--too busy. You can arrange the teak any way you like.
    Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent.

I would not do the teak the same as in the pic above if I used such a hatch--too busy. You can arrange the teak any way you like.
    Seems to me that if you use a good gasket there should be no need for caulk. I added ~6x10" inspection ports to my aluminum fuel tanks & they've never leaked.

Use Dzus fasteners close enough together & it should be fine:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Dzus fasteners are really handy, quick to un-do if need be, and are spring loaded. Finestkind.

Is it too late in your construction for a removable sole - like this?

Gutters all around into a drain trough that has the scuppers.

Travis.

When I had my tri it had a flush foredeck hatch that didnt leak. Like Ian said in post #3, it had a wide gutter all around and a decent overboard drain.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Nice work there Zuri.

I'm not sure I want such a big gutter/crud-accumulater.

I've seen one Concordia with a really big bronze access port. Maybe 14-16" I haven't seen any bronze ones for sale like that. Hamilton sells an 8' port which would be big enough for viewing purposes but obviously not big enough to get stuff in and out.
    Chuck Thompson

I've seen one Concordia with a really big bronze access port. Maybe 14-16" I haven't seen any bronze ones for sale like tha
    Chuck, most of the ones I have seen are actually made from aluminum or galvanized steel, though there may well be bronze ones. Like these.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/freem...iftout-hatches

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yeah Kevin--I've seen those. Haven't found one in bronze though.
    Chuck Thompson

Bronze gets way way hot under the noonday sun. Go with aluminum if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent..
    DAP makes a strippable caulk. Peel 'N Seal in the US and Draft Attack in Canada. It might work well in say a 1/4" wide and deep groove around the hatch, but not as a gasket between flat surfaces. I used it on a rusted sunroof (more of a rain roof) many years ago. It held up for about a year near Boston on a 70 mile/ 70 mph round trip commute. It peeled easily when I removed it. Some reviews say it works, others had problems. The Home Depot reviews indicate that it does not peel if you use it in a deep narrow crack between two surfaces. http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/s...strip-sealant/
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Do batteries really need ventilation? I have exactly the same issue as Chuckt and was going to use Breakaway's solution. But if I need to ventilate the batteries I'll need to incorporate that somewhere else in the cockpit sole.

Quote Originally Posted by kakistoc View Post
    Do batteries really need ventilation? I have exactly the same issue as Chuckt and was going to use Breakaway's solution. But if I need to ventilate the batteries I'll need to incorporate that somewhere else in the cockpit sole.
    If conventional lead-acid batteries then a loud YES!!!!. They give off Hydrogen & Hydrogen Sulfide & both are extremely flammable. In an enclosed space they can easily be explosive.

Thanks
    Reading on it, it looks like AGM batteries will be ok with just a small amount of ventilation?

Thanks
    Reading on it, it looks like AGM batteries will be ok with just a small amount of ventilation?
    Smaller than conventional wet batteries, yes. However - how lucky are you feeling?

it is a balance between enough ventilation for the batteries and a big hole in the cockpit floor to let stray waves in. I'm thinking maybe a couple of 1 1/2" pipes sticking up from the cockpit by a foot or so, and sheltered under the decking.

I don't know if Gels do either, however, in my case, the area is well-ventilated. In fact, Ray Hunt seemed to make sure that there is no spot in the Concordia that doesn't get some airflow
    Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If conventional lead-acid batteries then a loud YES!!!!. They give off Hydrogen & Hydrogen Sulfide & both are extremely flammable. In an enclosed space they can easily be explosive.
    Garret, any idea whether this gas rises or falls? Hopefully it doesn't fall like leaky propane.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Garret, any idea whether this gas rises or falls? Hopefully it doesn't fall like leaky propane.
    Hydrogen will definitely rise - as it's the lightest element. Hydrogen Sulfide IS heavier than air (I must admit that google was my friend on this one).

Chuck, avoid cockpit hatches if at all possible. None of them are great solutions as all hatches bring their own set of problems that may be bigger than the one you want to solve. I would look at moving the batteries before building a hatch and if you decide a hatch is the way to go then I would consider a flush one that is screwed down with machine screws and has a flush gasket around the perimeter to stop crud getting in. I would glass all mating surfaces as well to avoid rot.
    whatever rocks your boat

I am not an authority, but I think that lead-acid batteries only give off hydrogen if severely overcharged.
    I have never smelled HS near my batteries. Ask a surveyor.

I have used the peelable sealant and it works as you'd want .

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I am not an authority, but I think that lead-acid batteries only give off hydrogen if severely overcharged.
    I have never smelled HS near my batteries. Ask a surveyor.

I have used the peelable sealant and it works as you'd want .
    Hydrogen when charging normally, Hydrogen Sulfide if overcharging.

I have seen a battery explode when a mechanic leaned over it with a cig. in his mouth while it was charging normally.

Paul G,
    How do you see the flush gasket working? Is this beneath a flange on the top of the hatch? Or how?

Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Whatever your solution, keep in mind the weight of the water when the cockpit (I cubic meter is 2200lbs.. most cockpits will hold that volume) is filled before the drains can empty it (assuming you have cockpit drains). Any flange you build to support a home-made hatch will have to hold the volume of water the cockpit defines without splintering and caving in should you take just the right wave over the stern.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Whatever your solution, keep in mind the weight of the water when the cockpit (I cubic meter is 2200lbs.. most cockpits will hold that volume) is filled before the drains can empty it (assuming you have cockpit drains). Any flange you build to support a home-made hatch will have to hold the volume of water the cockpit defines without splintering and caving in should you take just the right wave over the stern.

Not quite accurate. Unless the hatch is a square meter in area and the cockpit is a meter deep.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Not quite accurate. Unless the hatch is a square meter in area and the cockpit is a meter deep.
    Hi, I'm referring to sailboats and cockpits with legroom to accommodate 4 people or more which is not uncommon. The enclosed volume will hold a very heavy mass of water. A crashing wave will amplify the weight borne by any flange attached to the underside of a cockpit sole to hold up a hatch. The point was to be cautious and build STOUTLY.

Paul G,
    How do you see the flush gasket working? Is this beneath a flange on the top of the hatch? Or how?
    You can have a tapered hatch edge with a soft rubber seal on the perimeter, I just dont like cockpit floor hatches. Ideally the solution is to have gutters that can drain whatever comes through the hatch joints but when your heeling and there is a buckets of water or even waves coming in, they inevitably become overwhelmed and leak. The other problem is that the hinges, handles, raised portions etc become tripping points in smaller cockpits as usually you cannot avoid them, and some designs raise the height of the sole which may seem a small deal but even minor changes in dimensions can alter the comfort and safety of a cockpit.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Is it too late in your construction for a removable sole - like this?

Gutters all around into a drain trough that has the scuppers.

Travis.
    This cockpit unfortunately needs a hatch, but from what i can see it isn't dogged down and if that is the case then it is vulnerable to flooding. From the size of boat its probably never going offshore so no problem but the guttering will be a crud trap. You will be surprised at what gets in there and it will be a regular cleaning job.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    This cockpit unfortunately needs a hatch, but from what i can see it isn't dogged down and if that is the case then it is vulnerable to flooding. From the size of boat its probably never going offshore so no problem but the guttering will be a crud trap. You will be surprised at what gets in there and it will be a regular cleaning job.
    There is another thread on hatch latches more or less. A flush latch might be the solution.
    Zuri's first picture shows a scupper near the seal. (Posts #9 and 33) That takes care of the crud and water, obviating any need for the peelable caulk that some jerk suggested in Post #15.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post

Boat's still in the shop, I would assume latches are planned.