Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckt
    • Oct 2009

Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

I'd really like an access hatch on my cockpit floor. The area under the cockpit is pretty inaccessible unless the engine is first pulled up. I have put my house battery there and would also like to be able to look under there occasionally. So, it doesn't need to be accessed a lot. Would be nice if it were big enough to remove the battery when needed.

I've seen an actual hatch that I could put teak on top to match the teak on the cockpit floor. That's nice. Looks like it has a water channel that would need a drain.

I was thinking I could just make a removable section of the cockpit floor and dog it down with bronze bolts that have nuts imbedded below. I am thinking, however, it would be impossible to prevent leakage around the edges and dirt accumulation.
    Chuck Thompson
  • Phil Y
    Banned
    • Apr 2010

Re: Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

I think you are right.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
      • Apr 1999

If you're going to make it yourself it's a lot easier to make it bigger to allow for a working gutter all the way around. I like a gutter 1-1/2" or more wide so that it can be easily cleaned. This means an extra 3" length and width to make the same size working access. Then proper drains and dogs so you have a hatch that's total lift-away.

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
        Banned
        • Jan 2010

That hatch in the picture looks awfull in my eyes. I had a whole cockpit floor hatch, maybe 2in all around before the hatch lip moulding, about 3 in high, with the hatch top sitting on that, with rubber gaskets on both surfaces. Do not recall any leaks worth mentioning, did have big cockpit drains though. Used as storage for 5 20l water containers, used a grating above the hatch to force it down on its gaskets.
        Awkward access like that is a real pain, and do not forget proper ventilation if the battery has charge going into it.

Comment

• Breakaway
          • Mar 2007

Hatch that Doesn't Need to be Opened Often

You could make a removable cockpit section- what FRP boatbuilders call a, "soft patch,"--by landing the hatch on a perimeter " shelf" on to which a gasket is applied and through which the screws run. Then, the caulking of your choice over top. It's pretty common for fuel tanks in glass powerboats to have this kind of access. The technique is well- proven.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• chuckt
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Breakaway
            You could make a removable cockpit section- what FRP boatbuilders call a, "soft patch,"--by landing the hatch on a perimeter " shelf" on to which a gasket is applied and through which the screws run. Then, the caulking of your choice over top. It's pretty common for fuel tanks in glass powerboats to have this kind of access. The technique is well- proven.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent.

I would not do the teak the same as in the pic above if I used such a hatch--too busy. You can arrange the teak any way you like.
            Chuck Thompson

Comment

• Garret
              Hills of Vermont
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chuckt
              I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent.

I would not do the teak the same as in the pic above if I used such a hatch--too busy. You can arrange the teak any way you like.
              Seems to me that if you use a good gasket there should be no need for caulk. I added ~6x10" inspection ports to my aluminum fuel tanks & they've never leaked.

Use Dzus fasteners close enough together & it should be fine:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Tom Robb
                • May 2004

Dzus fasteners are really handy, quick to un-do if need be, and are spring loaded. Finestkind.

Comment

• Zuri
                  • Nov 2016

Is it too late in your construction for a removable sole - like this?

Gutters all around into a drain trough that has the scuppers.

Travis.

Comment

• Stiletto
                    Grant S
                    • Jan 2003

When I had my tri it had a flush foredeck hatch that didnt leak. Like Ian said in post #3, it had a wide gutter all around and a decent overboard drain.
                    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• chuckt
                      • Oct 2009

Nice work there Zuri.

I'm not sure I want such a big gutter/crud-accumulater.

I've seen one Concordia with a really big bronze access port. Maybe 14-16" I haven't seen any bronze ones for sale like that. Hamilton sells an 8' port which would be big enough for viewing purposes but obviously not big enough to get stuff in and out.
                      Chuck Thompson

Comment

• Breakaway
                        • Mar 2007

I've seen one Concordia with a really big bronze access port. Maybe 14-16" I haven't seen any bronze ones for sale like tha
                        Chuck, most of the ones I have seen are actually made from aluminum or galvanized steel, though there may well be bronze ones. Like these.

Save More on Your Freeman Marine Oval Liftout Hatches at Fisheries Supply. Excellent Customer Service, Ready to Ship. Marine Supplies Since 1928!

Kevin
                        There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• chuckt
                          • Oct 2009

Yeah Kevin--I've seen those. Haven't found one in bronze though.
                          Chuck Thompson

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                            • Apr 1999

Bronze gets way way hot under the noonday sun. Go with aluminum if anything.

Comment

• MN Dave
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by chuckt
                              I'll think on this. Might be the best idea. Just recaulk any time I have to remove it--which might be just once a year, or even less frequent..
                              DAP makes a strippable caulk. Peel 'N Seal in the US and Draft Attack in Canada. It might work well in say a 1/4" wide and deep groove around the hatch, but not as a gasket between flat surfaces. I used it on a rusted sunroof (more of a rain roof) many years ago. It held up for about a year near Boston on a 70 mile/ 70 mph round trip commute. It peeled easily when I removed it. Some reviews say it works, others had problems. The Home Depot reviews indicate that it does not peel if you use it in a deep narrow crack between two surfaces. http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/s...strip-sealant/

Comment

Working...