Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your vacation plans this year?

Default What are your vacation plans this year?

My wife and I are trying to do one big vacation trip per year before we get too old.
    Last year we spent 2 week in the UK and Paris.
    This year we are going to the Grand Canyon for 1 week.
    It is something my wife has always wanted to do.

How about you.

London and Scotland. 30th anniversary trip. Two weeks.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: What are your vacation plans this year?

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    My wife and I are trying to do one big vacation trip per year before we get too old.
    This year we are going to the Grand Canyon for 1 week.
    It is something my wife has always wanted to do.

How about you.
    My wife and I are thinking the same thing: travel while we still can. Did Ireland last year and Hawaii the year before. Were thinking of England this year, but we have our son's wedding to pay for this June and want to re-do the heating system in the house so that trip might not happen. Maybe do an inexpensive road trip to Quebec city.

I might add that we're a bit nervous traveling overseas with the craziness in the world and DT making the world a more dangerous place, but we're still willing to go to a very limited number of places in Europe.
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 03-12-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    My wife and I are thinking the same thing: travel while we still can. Did Ireland last year and Hawaii the year before. Were thinking of England this year, but we have our son's wedding to pay for this June and want to re-do the heating system in the house so that trip might not happen. Maybe do an inexpensive road trip to Quebec city.
    I have been to Quebec City a few times and it was always a great place to visit.
    Lots of character.

have been to Quebec City a few times and it was always a great place to visit.
    Lots of character.
    Yep. Canadian destinations don't always feel like foreign cities to this American, but Quebec, and especially Quebec City, does.

Kevin

Edited: Never answered Gengs OP question!

We'll be going to the family resort in the Catskill Mountains this summer that we have been staying at for years. We'll also do a Florida/ Islands trip next winter.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

We were thinking of Hawaii since SWIMPAL has to go there for work quite a bit and quite likes the place. But since the EO debacle, she's noticed a lot more hassle going through CBP, so we're thinking of Cambodia instead, which has told the Trump administration to shove its demands for half a billion dollars in "war reparations" into a space devoid of sunlight.

The food is fantastic as well!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I'm retired. My whole life is a vacation.

If I can find a place to stay near Mystic over July 4th weekend, that will be the big extravagance for the year.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I think it would be fun to visit the US. I want to see people carrying guns and shooting each other in supermarkets. I want to see poor people die early of treatable illnesses. I want to see how first world workers live on $8.00 per hour. I want to see millions of people commuting to work each day on sealed roads, all driving single occupant 3 ton V8 4wd trucks with mud tyres and gun racks and a 3 inch lift. I want to see how democracy works where less than half the people vote. I want to see a wall greater than the Great Wall of China. I want to see how people manage to steer a car when they have to use their right hand to change gears. I want to see how families survive when their breadwinner is made redundant and there is no social security. I want to see people shoot bears and raccoons and deer. I want to see how fat a population can get when every meal and every food is laced with vast amounts of sugar. I want to see how a country functions when it is practically paralysed by fake news of Muslim terrorists when the real dangers are its own citizens with their guns and cars and sugary foods. I want to see Trump Making America Great Again.

Cool Re: What are your vacation plans this year?

You better have a lot of money Phil.
    Thrills ain't cheap in the US of A.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

As they say, a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Actually I'd love to come over and hire an F250 or something a do a big ole road trip, eat in highway diners, stay in seedy hotels, blow a fistful of money in Vegas, cruise the beaches of California, visit Mystic, see the Grand Canyon, get up to the Rockies and see some desert or other. N'Orleans would be wonderful, I'd love to eat Gumbo in a shack by a swamp somewhere. I don't even know what Gumbo is but it sounds so cool. I could spend at least 6 months I reckon.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I'm spending spring break with two college girls!

Seattle daughter finished her bachelor's degree last Friday and is headed to live with Paris daughter for a few months. I'm joining when younger has her spring break. We're thinking a week driving in Loire and perhaps Provence. The following week I have business in Paris and London. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post

How about you.
    You dared to go to the UK and Paris? Wow I'm impressed. Oh wait, that was last year, pre-Trump, before he said "Neighborhoods in Paris and London are so dangerous that police refuse to go there." So it was OK back then

Seriously though, apologies for drifting the thread, I just couldn't resist it. This year I am not going to America, although my wife may go in the fall. We're retired so have a lot of free time. We will be taking our boat through the Caledonian canal and doing some cruising around the Western Isles.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

I am headed west to western Washington and maybe Oregon for the second half of April. I am looking forward to the glorious April weather in the PNW.

UK for about a week and a half. France for a week. 20th wedding anniversary for SWMBO and I and my BIL and his wife, 60th wedding anniversary for MIL and FIL. Family is getting together to celebrate.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I'm spending spring break with two college girls!

Seattle daughter finished her bachelor's degree last Friday and is headed to live with Paris daughter for a few months. I'm joining when younger has her spring break. We're thinking a week driving in Loire and perhaps Provence. The following week I have business in Paris and London. Win-win.
    Spring in Provence. Biked there in April, I sense it was a bit early for the real tourism season. Not many people, (gooD
    d) those outside eateries on the stretch along the coast weren't open generally, Beautiful weather (good), Campgrounds weren't open but, camped there anyway. . Nice was my destination as I had to get back to work in Surrey. Two weeks Paris down to Nice the long way! Loved it. Expect rain! Blooming flowers, small villages, small French equiv. pubs.

And Isla knows I'm sure, I would love to get back to Scotland again but, I don't think that's in the cards.

I have Russia or Cuba on my list but need to work through a lot of possible hurdles.

Iceland is also on my list. I may do that this year.

London would be pretty neat. Like in any big city I'll sensibly maintain awareness of my surroundings. But I'm not going to let any of the fear mongering coming from various quarters scare me though.
    Will

Got a week booked in tongue.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

People come to us for vacation
    Since we moved here, we've had my best friend and his two sons visit, Renee's friends, my mother-in-law. At the end of May my daughter is coming to visit, and then in September my mother in law is coming out again for two weeks

In the future it seems Hawaii vacation of choice for SoCal.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I have Russia or Cuba on my list but need to work through a lot of possible hurdles.

Iceland is also on my list. I may do that this year.

London would be pretty neat. Like in any big city I'll sensibly maintain awareness of my surroundings. But I'm not going to let any of the fear mongering coming from various quarters scare me though.
    London will be a heck of a lot safer than most US cities.

Keeping it simple here...hike section I in washington of the pacific crest trail/150miles

Sailed in the BVI in January.
    Currently "spring breaking" in New Mexico. Snowboarding was pretty good yesterday.
    Riviera Maya in June.
    Bike ride in Colorado in July.

This summer I'll take a long mile and a half road trip down to town and hang out for a while, then I'll drive up to Traverse City and eat. Then I'll head out to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore and canoe surf for a while, which will warm me up nicely for some rail trail bike riding.

It's going to be expensive--I may end up blowing through half a tank of gas...

Jeff C
    Last edited by leikec; 03-13-2017 at 10:59 AM.

My wife, my local granddaughter, and I just came back from a 4 day vacation to Palo Alto, California. They have the cutest 1 month old kid out there. Had all 3 grandkids together for the first time.

April is 10 days hiking in the Southwest at National Parks.

Several more vacations during the rest of the year.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    This summer I'll take a long road trip down to town and hang out for a while, then I'll drive up to Traverse City and eat. Then I'll head out to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore and canoe surf for a while, which will warm me up nicely for some rail trail bike riding.

It's going to be expensive--I may end up blowing through half a tank of gas...

Jeff C
    My wife and I will also be doing a few short trips in the area.

BTW Years ago there was this guy Zurcher who would do One Tank Trips on TV.
    Here is his website.
    http://www.onetanktrips.com/about-the-books/

If things go well this year I could envision a trip south next winter as I reawaken the dormant snowbird gene...

I wonder if I can dogpaddle out to Puerto Rico?

Jeff C

Son and dot-in-law bought tix to "Hamilton" in Chicago. Tix in Seattle required purchase of a full season. They have free airfare, so Chicago was cheaper. Then, somehow, they won tix to opening night in San Francisco.
    So, my wife and I are heading to Chicago (for free)in April to see the show (for free)and do the museums, visit Oak Park, and eat some deep dish. Did I mention "Hamilton" for free?

Then it's Oregon Coast in the summer and Key West in November.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    My wife, my local granddaughter, and I just came back from a 4 day vacation to Palo Alto, California. They have the cutest 1 month old kid out there. Had all 3 grandkids together for the first time.

April is 10 days hiking in the Southwest at National Parks.

Several more vacations during the rest of the year.
    You were about 2 hours away.

Come visit again, I'll set you up a rock and tree tour itinerary. We got trees and rocks that are not to be missed right nearby.

Peace,
    Robert

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Probably pop over to France for a few days. It's about a 7 hour drive and a short ferry ride. Canadians are also exempt from the need for a passport also.
    http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/en/
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Probably pop over to France for a few days. It's about a 7 hour drive and a short ferry ride. Canadians are also exempt from the need for a passport also.
    http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/en/
    My Brother spent a summer on these Islands to learn French.
    I spent my summers in Red Rocks at my Uncles Cabin, camping, hiking and fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You were about 2 hours away.

Come visit again, I'll set you up a rock and tree tour itinerary. We got trees and rocks that are not to be missed right nearby.

Peace,
    Robert
    I have spent many a day enjoying the rocks and trees in California.

While I appreciate your offer, I am not the big picture guy. My kids determine where we will go in California (or elsewhere) I can only nudge them a little. I think our next California trip will be to Lassen Volcanic - my son-in-law broke his ankle there last year. I might be able to nudge them into the coastal redwoods.
    Life is complex.

Might be a wedding, if the Daughter and her guy get off the pot.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Heading to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for a hiking/biking/eclipse trip to help celebrate 50 yrs of "Wedded Bliss" Taking the whole famnned damily". ( eight at last count)
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You guys hate me bad enough here without me rubbing it in anymore.

Hoping to get to France later in the year.Maybe spend a bit more time exploring Rouen,thats the place where the murderers decapitated a man a couple of years ago.I've been there twice since the atrocity and while it may be a tiny gesture,I hope it helps.The Brittany coast is the other great attraction along with some great boats.The food and drink don't exactly harm the appeal of the place either.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    I am headed west to western Washington and maybe Oregon for the second half of April. I am looking forward to the glorious April weather in the PNW.
    There have been three nice days since October. Supposed to rain up to three inches today and tomorrow. It is said that the earth is waterlogged and there is danger of landslides. (not kidding, check weather.com) But maybe the weather will change by April.