Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourism, the terror effect

Default Tourism, the terror effect

Since we are talking about tourism did you notice that France’s tourist industry is down 7% because of terror attacks.

2016 story
    Title: France hit by drop in tourism in wake of strikes and terror attacks
    World’s top tourist destination suffers 7% fall in visitor numbers this year after terror attacks, bad weather and industrial action
    Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...terror-attacks

Default Re: Tourism, the terror effect

Last year? That was Obama's fault, try to keep up.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

France ? try to keep up Geng . How many hundred thousand tourism related jobs is Trump going to destroy ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Since you've been locked in a padded cell, here's an update:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/trump-s-travel-ban-deters-tourists-their-dollars-all-over-n730556

"International trends in bookings to the U.S. are down 6.5 percent compared with the equivalent period the year before," Forward Keys noted. "Trump's travel ban is putting off people traveling to the U.S. from many regions of the world, beyond the Middle East."

And while demand has recovered slightly since the initial travel ban was overturned, "It is still well below expected levels," said Hopper data analyst Patrick Surry in an analysis of the travel ban's impact on international travel."

If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Since you've been locked in a padded cell, here's an update:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/trump-s-travel-ban-deters-tourists-their-dollars-all-over-n730556

"International trends in bookings to the U.S. are down 6.5 percent compared with the equivalent period the year before," Forward Keys noted. "Trump's travel ban is putting off people traveling to the U.S. from many regions of the world, beyond the Middle East."

And while demand has recovered slightly since the initial travel ban was overturned, "It is still well below expected levels," said Hopper data analyst Patrick Surry in an analysis of the travel ban's impact on international travel."

I think it might be better to post this on the other thread.

For decades, tourism in Northern Ireland was down because of terrorist violence.

Like America, they were almost entirely home grown right wing terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    For decades, tourism in Northern Ireland was down because of terrorist violence.

Like America, they were almost entirely home grown right wing terrorists.
    ? more poorly informed Liberals spewing their Propaganda and America Hate... those of us not under rocks are well informed enough to know the FACT that the Majority of Terrorism in the USA is committed by a tiny minority of Radical Islamists, rather than the vast majority of normal Americans who, if committing Terrorism at a rate similar to these Islamists, would make the US look like Syria... with nearly bi-daily bloody attacks killing dozens of innocent civilians.

In the interest of your education Daniel I offer you this. https://www.splcenter.org/20100126/terror-right

I know the authors are the wrong color but read it anyway.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    In the interest of your education Daniel I offer you this. https://www.splcenter.org/20100126/terror-right

I know the authors are the wrong color but read it anyway.

mkes us wonder what the Islamic Population of the USA is ...VS. the Number of Terror attacks carried out by Islamic Extremists and what the Population of other Major Religions in the USA is and the number of Terror attacks carried out by these folks... SINCE 911 of course...

Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Since we are talking about tourism did you notice that France’s tourist industry is down 7% because of terror attacks.

2016 story
    Title: France hit by drop in tourism in wake of strikes and terror attacks
    World’s top tourist destination suffers 7% fall in visitor numbers this year after terror attacks, bad weather and industrial action
    Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...terror-attacks
    It does not look good for Tourism in Europe for 2017.

Title: PARIS RIOTS MAPPED: Violence spreads to 20 areas ACROSS FRANCE
    Link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...demonstrations

Title: Riots break out in Holland as Turkey warns it will respond to Dutch diplomatic snub in the "harshest way"
    Link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...urkey-10010328

I think their numbers are a little off.
    1. Fort Hood attack killed 14
    2. Boston Bombing killed 3 but wounded 260
    3. San Bernardino attack killed 14
    4. Orlando attack killed 49.
    This short list adds up to 80.

The idea that Orlando was a ISIS attack is hard to sustain. Just a bog standard anti gay hate crime with the hater trying to shift the blame to ISIS and being more than a little confused about the names.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.205fdaa1c60e

We had on like that here, a Shia muslim and a bad murderous man who put up a ISIS flag in the cafe window where he held the people hostage. Insane ! and he may have actually been so.( Shia is Iranian and at war with ISIS Sunni). Confused and strange but it was claimed as a "terrorist attack", government likes "terrorist attacks" it gives lots of reasons for the things government really likes to do.
    Grateful Dead

Non-Muslims Carried Out More than 90% of All Terrorist Attacks in America

http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-mus...merica/5333619
    Grateful Dead

And if you looked beyond terror, and took into account all the preventable and early deaths caused by natural born American citizens with their trucks and their guns and their tobacco and their alcohol and their drugs and their sugar and their farm chemicals....Well you would hardly pause to consider Muslim terrorists to be much of a risk at all would you?

Title: 'We'd rather go to Moscow' Paris becomes tourist no-go zone after
    He he told Le Parisien newspaper: “In 2016, there were 1.6million Chinese tourists compared to 2.2million in 2015. The number of Japanese tourists dropped 39 per cent, and Koreans 27 per cent.
    “Our tourists have turned to Russia, which is less attractive but at least it is a safe country. For Vladimir Putin, it is an economic windfall.
    “For a number of Chinese tourists, the dream of visiting France and Paris has turned into a nightmare.
    “Chinese tourists are robbed in the palace of Versailles, at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, in front of their hotel, as they leave their coaches.
    “In high season, not a day goes by without tourists being assaulted.”
    Link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ts-number-down

Gotta admit that Trump's policy is genius at producing a significantly greater ROI. It cost him very little to trot out those successive bans, and most of the media was free (just like the election campaign). Nobody has died yet who wasn't supposed to, and so far as we can tell none of the deaths were Americans, happened on American soil, or even in places where it's easy to do an accurate body count.

In contrast, France went to the trouble of killing quite a lot of people, many of them French citizens. On top of that, they faced significant costs in infrastructure repairs etc. Much more expensive way to get their travel numbers down and prompt support for LePen.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I think it might be better to post this on the other thread.
    Being harassed by gun toting Homeland Security and the TSA when coming over the border into the USA is a very real disincentive to visit. Some of those people really need an attitude adjustment, too many of them are nasty scary bullies. That plus standing in a queue for so long that one misses a connecting flight is not a good introduction to what is really a great country.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Another Terror attack in Paris.

Title: Orly airport: Man killed after seizing soldier's gun
    Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39314250

3. San Bernardino attack killed 14
    4. Orlando attack killed 49.
    The San Bernardino and Orlando attacks were committed by Americans, born in the US, and self-radicalized. No travel ban could have prevented them.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Title: July 29 2016 Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On
    Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/b...rism.html?_r=0

Title: July 29 2016 Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On
    Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/b...rism.html?_r=0
    It makes an interesting counterpoint to the self inflicted drop in tourism to the US, due to Trump effect and the goons who run border security, doesn't it.
    People choose to be scared about the prospect of terrorism, and somehow parlay the risk into something much bigger than it really is. My job takes me to some countries that many would percieve to be "dangerous", or having an elevated risk of domestic Islamic inspired violence. The thing that scares me the most (by a hooooge margin in terms of likelihood and outcome) is not the prospect of being caught up in some terror event, it is the completetly bonkers driving on awful roads - and I include the US and NZ here. Globally, our roads are infested with complete farkin idjits. It just gets a bit worse when the outcome of some insane passing manoever is down to "the will of Allah".
    My daughter and her bf are in Europe through until January next year. Terrorism, pfft! Traffic accident or plain old fashioned mugging - I just keep my fingers crossed every day.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Non-Muslims Carried Out More than 90% of All Terrorist Attacks in America

http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-mus...merica/5333619
    All of your graphs are informative, but they miss an important point. That point being the effectiveness of the TSA and other acts that try to prevent terrorism.

I don't think the TSA is effective at all, but there are many including this administration and the previous that think that without the TSA we would have serious terrorism issues.

My only interaction with TSA is at the airport a few times a year. With TSA precheck we don't interact much at all. I have never interacted with a terrorist. My family's tourism has increased since 9/11 more due to my wife and I aging into a more leisure lifestyle than terrorism or the TSA and customs.

I don't think very many people take terrorism seriously or that they should. Cars are so much worse and are loved so much more.
    Life is complex.

The point of the chart is to point out the deliberate misdirection underway in our political systems. Scapegoats are needed and have been found.
    Grateful Dead

The point of the chart is to point out the deliberate misdirection underway in our political systems. Scapegoats are needed and have been found.
    The chart is also a misdirection. Everyone makes a choice of whom they they call a scapegoat.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    The chart is also a misdirection. Everyone makes a choice of whom they they call a scapegoat.
    Are you suggesting that the FBI are scapegoating Jews?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I would think that requiring U.S. citizens to get a visa to visit Europe, proposed by the EU reacting to the Republican visa war, would have a major impact on tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Are you suggesting that the FBI are scapegoating Jews?
    You seem to have thought of that on your own.
    Life is complex.

I don't think very many people take terrorism seriously
    If you forget 9/11 and how US air travel ground to a halt, and things didn't happen, sure you can say that. TSA was to provide theater to make people feel safe. It succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    I would think that requiring U.S. citizens to get a visa to visit Europe, proposed by the EU reacting to the Republican visa war, would have a major impact on tourism.
    It's all good.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

You seem to have thought of that on your own.
    It was not I who suggested that those groups quantified in the FBI data were scapegoats, now was it?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

You know what? If you're scared to travel, don't.

But the data is clear. "Radical Islamic terrorism" is a real, but statistically modest threat in Europe and the U.S.

It is devastating quite a few Islamic countries.

We just need to stop being scared little children. Man up. Live our lives. Focus on the real problems. Trump is lying to us, for his own purposes. What he proposes will make things worse. Much worse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    You know what? If you're scared to travel, don't.

But the data is clear. "Radical Islamic terrorism" is a real, but statistically modest threat in Europe and the U.S.

It is devastating quite a few Islamic countries.

We just need to stop being scared little children. Man up. Live our lives. Focus on the real problems. Trump is lying to us, for his own purposes. What he proposes will make things worse. Much worse. Full stop.
    It is a strange dichotomy. US citizens seem complacent about Americans killing Americans with guns, but some are paranoid about a tiny risk at home and abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    It is a strange dichotomy. US citizens seem complacent about Americans killing Americans with guns, but some are paranoid about a tiny risk at home and abroad.
    It's hatred. They don't like Mooslambs, that is all.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz