Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An 18yo's attempt at a wooden boat with absolutely zero experience

Default Re: An 18yo's attempt at a wooden boat with absolutely zero experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I think we see a budding Naval Archtect here!
    Jay
    Well - at least a guy who came up with a great way to pick up the gals!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

woo hoo. way to go. keep going.

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJW View Post
    WOW! Well done Quinn. Another congratulations to you.

Have you named her yet?
    Of course! Her name is "Fortune". I actually got a fortune cookie saying "Honesty and Friendship will bring you fortune". My being honest about something with my parents and a buddy to split the bill with is what made her possible, so I thought it would be funny to call her "Fortune" because, well, Honesty and Friendship brought me Fortune.

Love it. What's next? I'm curious to see what you build now that you've got a bit of experience. I suspect you'll play with Fortune a little bit, get a decent idea of what you truly want then go for it?
    Congrats. Being in a boat built by yourself feels incredible, doesn't it?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSchick View Post
    Of course! Her name is "Fortune". I actually got a fortune cookie saying "Honesty and Friendship will bring you fortune". My being honest about something with my parents and a buddy to split the bill with is what made her possible, so I thought it would be funny to call her "Fortune" because, well, Honesty and Friendship brought me Fortune.
    And if one of your motives is to pick up chicks, well, that'll cost a Fortune too!!

Well done!

For that size sail I wouldn't worry too much about sewing in your grommets. Number 2's from Duckworks look like just the thing.

Best,
    Chris
    "Where we would wish to reform we must not reproach." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Love it. What's next? I'm curious to see what you build now that you've got a bit of experience. I suspect you'll play with Fortune a little bit, get a decent idea of what you truly want then go for it?
    Congrats. Being in a boat built by yourself feels incredible, doesn't it?
    I plan on doing a lot more reading, and take up some inexpensive woodworking projects. Then, in about 2 years time I intend to build another after I've saved up a good amount of money to get good materials and tools.
    And it truly does feel amazing. Not many people my age have something they built with their own hands.