Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An 18yo's attempt at a wooden boat with absolutely zero experience

Default An 18yo's attempt at a wooden boat with absolutely zero experience

Hey everybody, I'm Quinn, 18 years old and new to this forum. I also built a boat with absolutely no experience.

At the start of last summer, we moved to a new house in a new city. I knew absolutely nobody in this neighborhood, so I was looking at a very boring summer. I did, however, have a new roomy backyard, so I decided I wanted to build a sailboat. I had no sailing experience, no woodworking experience, and obviously, no boat building experience.

I had met a kid in the neighborhood who also had an interest in building a boat, and he had a wood shop in his garage, and a claim to woodworking knowledge. So we decided we'd build a boat together. We found William D Jackson's Sea Skiff plans online, and began construction. I soon discovered that my friend's woodworking knowledge was in the neighborhood of pinewood derby cars and fidget toys. Shoot.

But, we built! I'm proud of my boat, because for absolutely 0 experience, she's quite a looker. I have no idea if this is a "good score" for a wooden boat like this, but she cost $600, everything included. Everything but the sail and epoxy was bought at home depot. I scored a used $50 sail online (It's actually a really decent sail) and used total boat's penetrating epoxy.

There's quite a few mistakes (and frankly stupid things) that happened, though.
    First, I thought that the floorboards should be seamed together. This has resulted in 3 pencils rolling around in the hull. It also meant that when we epoxied, we couldn't get to the bilge.
    Our transom is angled off center. This is due to the forms falling off of our stands during a storm, and us not thinking to realign the transom when we propped it back up and put our plywood on.
    Leaks in the hull. Fixed with window caulk. Genius.
    2x4's for a mast, gaff and boom. Trimmed to be 2x2 2x3. Not rounded, not epoxied. Just 2x4.
    Main Sheet Line leverage at midpoint of the boom. It was meant to be part of a pulley system, but I simply didn't finish this. "How hard could it be?"
    Rudder was unweighted, and held on by eye screws. It got ripped off a minute after putting her in.
    No oarlocks.

It's a really goofed up sailboat. But I still love her.

All those goofs aside, I brought her out for the first time in early October, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was worried I wouldn't enjoy it, after spending so much time and money on it, but it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
    We put her in at Utah Lake, and I sailed her with my dad. My buddy had bailed about halfway through building it due to school starting up.

She sails pretty well despite the angled transom. The rudder got ripped off about a minute after putting her in the water, so my dad steered with an oar. Due to the poor leverage, I was holding on for dear life to the main sail, but I hear it's good for the muscles. The wind began to pick up after a couple hours on the water, so we had to drop the sail in order to keep my fragile 2x4 spars from snapping. We rowed back, which made me realize the importance of oar locks. (They're important.)

Here's a picture of my boat being tested for leaks in the pool, and me smiling like a goon as I watch my boat come to life.

This spring I intend to fix all the things I can, and go sailing a lot this summer. In two years I intend to build another boat, but until then, I plan on learning a lot about boat building.

Default Re: An 18yo's attempt at a wooden boat with absolutely zero experience

Well done.

Do it cheap, learn a lot, is a good way to go. Congratulations on completing your build.

Excellent. If the inside is just epoxied, put some varnish over it. Epoxy has no UV protection and will break down.

Good on ya! Yes, cover up any naked epoxy. Varnish or paint. Pale gray, or warm beige. Not white.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Nice!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That's a great story and you are a pretty darn good writer.

Good work! The sail will work better if you lace it to the mast.

It's worth noting that the inside of the boat isn't epoxied, but varnished, and the outside hull is what's epoxied and painted with UV resistant fence paint.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Good work! The sail will work better if you lace it to the mast.
    I'd like to do that, but the sail only had the 3 points. Would I be able to punch holes along the luff, or would that reduce the sail's strength?

Looks like it has a bolt rope for the luff, probably it was intended for a mast with a slot. There are a couple ways of attaching it to the mast. Probably the simplest would be to get some whipping thread and sew some bits of line to the bolt rope. Maybe parachute cord, available at any hardware store, about a foot long so you can tie the sail loosely to the mast at several points. That way, you can raise and lower it easily, and still have an efficient sail.

You could by a grommet kit from the hardware store and put them in the luff of the sail, but you'd need to sew it in as well.

Then you could lace the sail to the mast, the way it's discussed here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...99-Sail-Lacing

Hope that helps!

Well done, Quinn. Congratulations. A good story to hear.

Great job. That's the absolute best way to get into sailing. Everything else is details.
    -Dave

Love it Quinn! I wasn't much older than you when I joined this bunch of old guys, but it's a wealth of knowledge!

ask questions, listen to the advice!

Its quite heartwarming to see young people (am I old enough to say that?) still getting into wood boats.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Welcome to the club Quinn. You're probably addicted already. There's no cure, but don't worry, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    You're probably addicted already.
    "Addicted" might just be the understatement of the year!

Here's a good book for you.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The babes will be lining up to go yachting with you now!

Good for you! You have a great story there, and there is no better way to start 'messing about in boats'

Would that I had started with boats so young. At 18 I was building wooden skateboard ramps and bowls, though, which are basically inside-out boats.

Build all kinds of stuff before your next boat, so you can improve your basic woodworking skills. Maybe by making improvements for your boat. Make a bench and some horses and practice making joints and gluing techniques and all that jazz.

This is a most excellent tale. I wish you many fine adventures, and I hope you share them, too.

Aren't you guys going to build another skiff so you can race them?

Peace,
    Robert

Best WBF post in months!!

However, take John W's recommendation and find a way to attach the luff of the sail to the mast at 6-8 points. It will sail immensely better. Aside from that, pfffft. It's a boat. It floats. It goes in more or less the right direction when the wind blows and you waggle the tiller. You haven't died, yet, and in fact in one photograph you appear to be smiling. I know that sort of smile, myself..

It's all good!
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post

pfffft. It's a boat. It floats. It goes in more or less the right direction when the wind blows and you waggle the tiller. You haven't died, yet, It's all good!
    My nautical philosophy entirely!

Well done Quinn, that is awesome. Nothing like sharing a build with a mate, then going for a sail on her.

Most excellent!

Carry on Sir.

Thanks for this thread - I can use some brightness these days! All kinds of good advice here & don't be afraid to ask questions. Yeah, a few folks here can get a bit crusty at times, but the wealth of knowledge is quite amazing.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Congratulations, well done!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    The babes will be lining up to go yachting with you now!
    *Looks both ways* this may or may not have been my motive.

Many years ago there was a song called Mighty Quinn. Well done and welcome to the forum.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I'm 74, and I am still sailing the boat my cousin and I built in 1963, albeit after an extensive restoration.
    Congratulations and more power to your arm.

Welcome to the forum. You happen to be in the same state as me. In fact only 50 miles from me.

Getting started:

- Take a look at the Facebook site called "Utah Wooden Boat Rendevous" because there's a group of wooden boat builders/owners active on the Front (see https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...t%20rendezvous).

- The Utah Lake Yacht Club. The ULYC runs a great Sunfish program. Jim Daniels can answer your questions. And it's not hard to get out on a bigger Catalina with a couple of the members once you make a few friends. (See https://www.facebook.com/UtahLakeYac...676563/?type=3)

- Park City Sailing. This group of people are amazing -- well organized, active, super-helpful with a nice fleet of 420s, Elliots, J22s, and other boats. If you really want to get into sailing and don't mind driving to Jordanelle, getting to know them is highly advised. (Visit https://www.facebook.com/ParkCitySailing/.)

- One of the ULYC's members is a builder and a darn good sailor who could help you on both counts. If you're OK with it I can forward your email address to him.

Those are some amazing contacts, capefox. I'll be sure to get in touch.
    Also, this summer I plan on joining the Sea Scouts. I know they have a couple boats, too.

Oh! I almost forgot. After we had finished sailing, one of the ULYC members actually saw us sailing and told me about the group. I forgot about that part until now.

Admirable effort and will lead to mucho fun. Wish my first effort had been so pointy at the front

A great story. Well done and welcome aboard!

-M

Good job! I built my first boat at age 18 back in 1971. Self designed and built with no experience. But, it did float and provided me with lots of fun.
    Enjoy!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I am stunned, jealous, and in awe!

Do it again, and take pics to share....please.

WOW! Well done Quinn. Another congratulations to you.

Have you named her yet?

I think we see a budding Naval Archtect here!
    Jay