Thread: AC-90 multipurpose lubricant

Default AC-90 multipurpose lubricant

Back story. I had to get someone in to replace a broken side stay on our bathroom window. In talking about what to use to lubricate/protect the new fittings he recommended to use this in preference to WD-40. So, I bought a can and yes, IMHO it is much superior. The bathroom window still swings open at the slightest touch 4 months after treating and daily use. And the plus side is that it does not contain silcone or CFCs.

As it's classed as a professional product it's not available from the usual suspects. I got mine from All Fix but the AC website says there are over 400 UK distributors plus others worldwide.
    https://www.actioncan.com/product/ac-90/
    https://www.allfix.co.uk/

Nick

Default Re: AC-90 multipurpose lubricant

WD-40 is so bad that nearly everything else is superior. A triumph of marketing. Haven't bought it for 30 years or so, after I tried CRC 5-56.

Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    WD-40 is so bad that nearly everything else is superior. A triumph of marketing. Haven't bought it for 30 years or so, after I tried CRC 5-56.
    More a triumph of mass misunderstanding of what WD40 was intended for. WD means Water Displacement and that is what it was designed to do on electrical systems like spark plug wiring, etc. Can't blame the supplier for selling the stuff to the rubes. Best weatherproof lube for fittings like stainless turnbuckles is bee's wax or one of the commercial variants like Door Eeze.
    Tom L

Years ago I bought a spray can of Prolong lubricant. Love the stuff. A little spritz will do ya.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

WD-40 is basically perfumed gasoline.
    C-56 is good.
    My latest "flame" is Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant.
    Non-flammable. Which I like.
    Got one of those plastic blade desk fans? Spray it on and the dust won't stick.
    About the same price as WD-40.
    basil

WD-40 is a good cleaner. That's how I use it.

Yes, a good hand cleaner...
    (mostly solvent)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Can't blame the supplier for selling the stuff to the rubes.
    Maybe you can't , but I can, if they are misleading in their representation. From their website today...

WD-40 Multi-Use Product: The Can with Thousands of Uses
    WD-40 Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything. It even removes grease, grime and more from most surfaces.
    The rest boils down to what has already been said, somewhat good for cleaning, although I can think of other things that degrease far more effectively. Not, in my experience good for water displacement or rust preventative beyond a few molecules of H2O that aren't too threateningly proximal. It's not a good penetrant compared to other miracles in a spray can. So there goes multi-use. Essentially, if you have a bottle of Goo-Gone or lighter fluid handy, the last vestige of a need for WD-40 disappears much like the product functionality itself. It's a product that does no harm or any good. A placebo in a spray can.
    Last edited by seedy; 03-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.

The key to rust prevention is "Corrosion Inhibitors"
    I have researched this at length. If you call the WD folks and ask that specific question they will say "it has no corrosion inhibitors"

For lubrication from a spray can I really like "Chain Lube" It goes on thin, penetrates a bit and then thickens up turning to a light grease. Some have a moly additive which is black and messy so you don't dare use it on door latches and hinges, under penalty of death from the home task master... But the clear stuff is great.
    Check it out.

You guys are coming down pretty hard on WD40. I find it plenty useful for various things, although it doesn't do any of them as well as a specific-use product will. It does indeed provide lubrication, but only for the short term. Most of it evaporates away, leaving very little protection in the long run.
    But there is one purpose for which it really shines. It is the best 2-stroke motor starting fluid I'm aware of. Remember, a 2-stroke motor pulls its fuel through the crankcase before it reaches the combustion chamber. The lubricant in the fuel is the only lubrication the crankcase ever sees. Regular starting fluids, such as ether or its more modern alternatives, have little lubricity and burn very hot and dry. This is bad enough in a 4-stroke engine, but it is particularly bad in a 2-stroke, where it tends to scour the lubricant out of the crankcase. WD40, on the other hand, has enough lubricant in it to keep the crankcase happy, yet it burns well enough to run an engine dependably. An outboard motor with a gummed-up carb can be started with a shot of WD40 into the carb or air intake box, and it can be kept running by sending rythmic pulses of WD40 into the carb until, after 15 or 20 seconds, the varnish seems to wash out and the motor takes off running on its normal fuel supply. I learned this trick from the "old outboard" guys on their website, where a lot of guys swear by the stuff, and since then, I have never had to disassemble an outboard carb to clean it. So far, it has worked every time.

Thanks Gordon, that's a new one. I'll have to try that on my "Stihl-trying-to-start-it" weed trimmer, which has resisted every other attempt at conciliation.

[QUOTE=Gordon Bartlett;5183446]You guys are coming down pretty hard on WD40. I find it plenty useful for various things [QUOTE]

Knew a former commercial striped bass rod/reel fisherman, he swore that soaking his bucktail jigs in WD-40 kept them rust free and was a great fish attractant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40