Thread: What to do with Fiberglass Scrap?

Default What to do with Fiberglass Scrap?

I sure have a lot of fiberglass scrap building up. Anyone here mill theirs to make filler? If you do what do you use to mill it? Any other uses?

Thanks!

Default Re: What to do with Fiberglass Scrap?

Your local glass boat shop will have a chopper gun, they can put your scrap through that and reduce it to short fibres .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

We used to peel out individual strands of both cloth and woven roving. They could later be used to wrap various items producing very strong unidirectional composite reinforcing bands where needed and a bundle of them would also make a good, strong and reasonably clear fillet for something like air chamber wall attachments. I even used roving strands set in WEST Epoxy to replace torn out edge sections on wooden cross country skis back in the day.

You can certainly chop it up, even with scissors if you have the time. It makes extremely strong filler, though it is pretty heavy and not very resin-stingy. About the only thing we ever used it for was the end pours on fiberglass kayaks. You stand the freshly seamed boat on end, mix a small tub of the filler, dump it down into the end of the kayak and tamp it down with a hunk of broomstick.

Filler. I cut it up with scissors and mix with silica. A kind of microfiber max!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

My main use of fiberglass scraps is in molding many various parts for a boat. Tailor made mounting brackets for instruments, hardware and other such are a common use. Wooden molds for fiberglass parts to provide drainage around waterproof cockpit seat lockers can use up lots of scrap. I make battens from nonwoven Knitex threads that are tapered and produce no end-of-batten crease and perform better for small boat sails than any of the bought variety. High strength glass core from old fiber optic cable help with the battens.
    Tom L

I don't have any brilliant uses. Just odds and ends. I've never seen a chopper gun that could process cloth, they've all been fed by long strands of glass, coming off a skein - like a big spool of sewing machine thread.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks for all the info everyone. Def going to cut a lot of it up and make some super strong fillets. Also good to hear there are so many other odds and ends uses for it.

You could take multiple layers of cloth and build up the thickness, then once cured, cut to an appropriate size for backing plates for a variety of deck hardware.