Thread: 2017 Wooden Dinghy Regatta, Inveroch, Victoria, Australia

Default 2017 Wooden Dinghy Regatta, Inveroch, Victoria, Australia

My yacht club, the Sth Gippsland Yacht Club is a very modest affair and just achieved it's 50th year.
    For the past 4 years some of the the club members have restarted what was an annual Regatta at Inverloch, then a fishing and minor trading port. Some time ago the regatta was discontinued, the inlet changed as reduced river flows and silting made it unsuitable for even modest sailing craft like Ripple.

The Vintage Wooden Dinghy Regatta Race this year saw 54 boats on the water, some left on the beach due to skippers having two boats, 6 more on static display in the town.
    A good video has been produced with some local sponsors adds, some speeches relevant also locally but more than enough sailing footage to make the 40 minutes worth while I think. It also give a decent arial view of the coast and inlet, and captures the mood of the event.
    On Sailfish Flotsam, hull really found abandoned on the shore of a dry lake 3 weeks before the regatta, stuck back together with epoxy, tape, screws and probably chewing gum as well. Finished on the thursday afternoon from a line of bits boxes and a borrowed rig. Sailed admirably till dodgy rudder broke I think.
    A greatly enjoyable event.

Link here: https://vimeo.com/channels/sgyc/206353861
    and if someone can embed it I'd be grateful.

Default Re: 2017 Wooden Dinghy Regatta, Inveroch, Victoria, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    My yacht club, the Sth Gippsland Yacht Club is a very modest affair and just achieved it's 50th year.
    For the past 4 years some of the the club members have restarted what was an annual Regatta at Inverloch, then a fishing and minor trading port. Some time ago the regatta was discontinued, the inlet changed as reduced river flows and silting made it unsuitable for even modest sailing craft like Ripple.

The Vintage Wooden Dinghy Regatta Race this year saw 54 boats on the water, some left on the beach due to skippers having two boats, 6 more on static display in the town.
    A good video has been produced with some local sponsors adds, some speeches relevant also locally but more than enough sailing footage to make the 40 minutes worth while I think. It also give a decent arial view of the coast and inlet, and captures the mood of the event.
    On Sailfish Flotsam, hull really found abandoned on the shore of a dry lake 3 weeks before the regatta, stuck back together with epoxy, tape, screws and probably chewing gum as well. Finished on the thursday afternoon from a line of bits boxes and a borrowed rig. Sailed admirably till dodgy rudder broke I think.
    A greatly enjoyable event.

Link here: https://vimeo.com/channels/sgyc/206353861
    and if someone can embed it I'd be grateful.
    That's fantastic Jeff! You just added to my list of all-time favourite sailing videos! What a great event! When's the next one? It would be worth getting one of the dinghies ready for it.

Rick

Default Re: 2017 Wooden Dinghy Regatta, Inveroch, Victoria, Australia

See other thread, but I have already decided that Hobart needs a Sailfish input.