Thread: Are these planes a good value ?

Default Are these planes a good value ?

Hi Wood workers,

I am new to hand tool woodworking and could use some advice regarding the following planes found for sale localy.

Also what are the things I should look out for when buying used planes?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/6031953540.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/6030809575.html

Thanks

Default Re: Are these planes a good value ?

That collection of Stanly planes and shaves is a treasure! They look to have been pretty well cared for by a knowledgeable craftsman. If no cracks are in the castings, they would be a decent buy. My friend Bob Kaune is the best source for old Stanly Tools. You can compare his prices here. https://www.antique-used-tools.com/
    Jay

The price for the Record No. 7 plane is too high. Check Ebay and you'll find good Record and Stanley's for less. In fact, it looks like that same plane is listed on Ebay by the same seller right now for $150.00 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Wood-...oAAOSwax5YvGZz Note the auction ends in 38 minutes.

ETA - I also think you could do better on the other planes both in terms of price and usability, if you're looking for a basic collection of planes to actually use rather than for their collector value or as an addition to planes you might already have. Out of the group of planes, you're most likely to use the No 3, No 5 and the block plane most frequently. The casting of the No 3 is cracked which is a bad sign for a user and has some other minor issues which are easily remedied by replacing the tote and ball...but why do you want to go through that when you can pick up a decent No. 3 off Ebay quite easily and cheaply (i.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stan...EAAOSw2gxYv09E) ?

Stanley No 5 planes are also readily available.

As for the block plane, again you're going to be dealing with a flawed tool (it's been repaired) from an unknown maker. There are many good block planes available on Ebay and elsewhere and it's really not too much of an expense to splurge on a really good new one from Lee Valley or from some other quality tool maker, so why mess with one of dubious quality?

For all of these reasons, I'd pass on this set.
    Last edited by BrianY; 03-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Agree with what the others have said, the thing I would look for is a close photo of the blade edge to see if it has been sharpened straight or curved and if there are any noticeable gouges in the cutting edge where they might have collided with a nail or some such nasty. By rights you are not suppose to sit a plane on a table unless it's on the side or the blade is retracted :/ but that might be a little much to expect from somebody trying to sell them.

Any plane you buy is going to need sharpening and fiddling with a lot of it. Search EBay for a while. Good buys can still be had there.

Where are you going to use a #7 on a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post

Probably not on a boat. But I love my #7. It makes the sweetest curls. Perfect to use a bows on wrapped gifts!

Jeff

That Record #7 in the secpnd listing is about 120% over priced.
    basil

Any plane you buy is going to need sharpening and fiddling with a lot of it. Search EBay for a while. Good buys can still be had there.

I used my No. 8 in making masts and spars. Agree on the curls, which are great for starting fires.

Quote Originally Posted by orbb View Post
    I used my No. 8 in making masts and spars. Agree on the curls, which are great for starting fires.
    Any spars I have made are curved over the entire length, an expanded or elongated ellipse planed fair, not straight. The exception is the luff side of the spar which is straight. But even there I'm working to a string line, not a "fit".
    (For me, a good #5 is about it at least through the sixteen sided portion of the job, and my go-to favorite is a 5-1/4. A much under rated plane for boatbuilding. After 16 sides I have some wooden "rounding" planes)

I do use the long jointers and have several. They are excellent for fine furniture, esp. glued book-matched panels, table tops and etc. (The corrugated Stanley/Bailey's are my favorites)

What everybody else said. They are all priced pretty much at "retail" for used stuff, assuming it's all in really good condition, but do you need it all? The only reason to buy a tool you don't need but just might want to have for later is if it's a really good deal. These aren't "steals" by any stretch of the imagination. As they say, I wouldn't kick 'em out of bed, but...

A bit of advice: As you are "new to hand tool woodworking," you are at a very vulnerable point in your evolution as a craftsman. Here's the advice: Unless you really know what it is and what it's worth and somebody is practically giving it away, never buy any tool until you know you really need it and then buy the best one you can possibly afford unless you intend to use it once and throw it away.

Thanks everyone for the advice, both in regard to the planes in question as well as to what's really needed and what may not be needed. I always get great advice on this forum. It appears that you all have saved me some money that I would have otherwise spent on those planes.

Ill take your advice and start looking only for what I need, and at a competitive price.

thanks thanks thanks .... again

leo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    What everybody else said. They are all priced pretty much at "retail" for used stuff, assuming it's all in really good condition, but do you need it all? The only reason to buy a tool you don't need but just might want to have for later is if it's a really good deal. These aren't "steals" by any stretch of the imagination. As they say, I wouldn't kick 'em out of bed, but...

A bit of advice: As you are "new to hand tool woodworking," you are at a very vulnerable point in your evolution as a craftsman. Here's the advice: Unless you really know what it is and what it's worth and somebody is practically giving it away, never buy any tool until you know you really need it and then buy the best one you can possibly afford unless you intend to use it once and throw it away.
    Bob,

My wife loves you! We often have the conversation

Wife - "Why are you buying this tool?

Me - "It's A good deal. I could use it for all kinds of projects. Everyone has one, and some people even have two."

Wife - "I have not seen a tire mounting machine in other people's garage Leo"

Me - "You just need to look harder. It's often hard to see"

Wife - "Well does this mean we can get new tires on my car at least"

Me - "Well ...... I don't know. I am kind of busy this week and next. Can you just go to Costco and grab them"

Wife - " silence " followed by eye roll.

Several long boards on my boats cabin sides are rotted and need to be replaced. I have a jointer but moving it to the boat is near impossible. I was thinking that a long plane could be used on site to plane the replacement boards flat on both edoes.

Is that #7 the wrong tool for that job?

I would pass it says two of the planes are damaged and I don't ever remember using the scrub plane I have.

The number 7 is certainly designed to be a jointer plane, and I have one but have found that I can get by using a number 5 instead and number 5's seem to be much more widely available.

To offer some additional and totally unsolicited advice I might suggest removing the two boards first and double checking that that their sides are actually square and not beveled, might turn out that a number 7 isn't necessary if they are beveled. A second piece of advice is to look at Paul Sellers videos about jointing wood with hand planes and selecting/restoring old planes, I have found them incredibly informative.

Nicholas

I would pass. I want to examine any used tool I buy and I buy what I need, not just a pile of what might be scrap iron.

Thanks for the advice Oldad.

Cheers,

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    The number 7 is certainly designed to be a jointer plane, and I have one but have found that I can get by using a number 5 instead and number 5's seem to be much more widely available.

To offer some additional and totally unsolicited advice I might suggest removing the two boards first and double checking that that their sides are actually square and not beveled, might turn out that a number 7 isn't necessary if they are beveled. A second piece of advice is to look at Paul Sellers videos about jointing wood with hand planes and selecting/restoring old planes, I have found them incredibly informative.

Nicholas
    Thanks Nicholas for the advice. Where can i see Mr. Sellers' videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Santi View Post
    I would pass it says two of the planes are damaged and I don't ever remember using the scrub plane I have.
    Thanks for your input Charlie. I did end up passing on them. What's sad is that they sold within an your of his post and the guy left work to go get them because he was worried someone would steel them. Apparently over them people inquired within the first two hours.

I often have this problem. People pay outrageous amounts for junk around here and that drives the cost of decent Tools that much higher. I guess people in my area have money to burn

Quote Originally Posted by leop View Post
    Thanks Nicholas for the advice. Where can i see Mr. Sellers' videos?
    https://paulsellers.com/tag/hand-planes/

you could start here, it seems an informative site, scroll down for a link to a video. He is also building a workbench, perhaps ctstevens could check it out too.
    Steve Martinsen

leop, if you haven't done so yet, you really owe it to yourself to read Patrick Leach's site The Superior Works: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

It's a history and opinion blog all about Stanley planes. Very informative (and opinionated). He also has a monthly tools for sale list that always has some planes. You won't find the lowest prices there but the man is as honest as they come. You will get what he describes and it won't be junk.

Jeff

However, having said what I said in post #16, I would buy a used tool before I would buy brand new (with a few exceptions) since so muchof what used to be good brand names are now made out of the country and IMHO are often cheap imitations of the originals. An example would be a Stanley paint scraper blade that was so inferior, would not hold an edge and was clearly made from poor quality material. Buy good used, you cant go wrong. Watch for estate sales, etc.

Lie Nielsen Tools...

Lie Nielsen Tools...

Sure! And heck, while we are spending Leo's money let's have him buy vintage, handmade infill planes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exceptionall...UAAOSweW5VNEFU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Dov...AAAOSwtfhYtH9X

- Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Yes, they are pricey, but...
    If you need one of the less common planes like a 10-1/2 or a scraping plane like the 212, the Lie Nielson will cost less than the old Stanley. The Collectors have driven the prices right off the map for most users.
    And the Lie Nielson will work pretty well right out of the box.

Leo's right: people in his area have much more dollars than sense. I'm surprised anyone can still afford to live there.