Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 53 of 53

Thread: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    14,636

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Robert, when you want to kill a lot of time. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ber&highlight=
    I was going to link this one too. One of my favorite threads by him.

    Wonderful friend. Many of his things and some of his sailing books are treasured here. The reason my PM box gets so full so quickly, is because I have a lot of messages from Chucky and have never removed them.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

    A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...



    S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,127

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    I was going to link this one too. One of my favorite threads by him.

    Wonderful friend. Many of his things and some of his sailing books are treasured here. The reason my PM box gets so full so quickly, is because I have a lot of messages from Chucky and have never removed them.
    I have only two.

    One of them I can't bear to read.
    Rattling the teacups.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I have only two.

    One of them I can't bear to read.

    6. I hope the server never crashes and I lose them. We have one more day until the marking of his last activity, I hope we get some more posts!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    18,116

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    I really enjoyed reading Paladin's contributions; always positive, never snarky, generally funny as hell. I esp. enjoyed his 'in country' accts from Asia.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    NWly shores of Lake Whitehall, MA
    Posts
    6,702

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    ... I hope we get some more posts!


    Jimmy W has a picture I've never seen. How'd you wrangle that one?

    There is a party attempting to PM me. Lots of folks here have my email address, you might even find it on line.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

    International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    12,233

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post

    Jimmy W has a picture I've never seen. How'd you wrangle that one?
    I copied it from here somewhere. I never really got to know him and I mostly stayed upstairs and wasn't really active in the Bilge back then.

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    His activity shows a PM on the 10th, I wonder to who?

    I found his obituary. He went on to his next mission on the 7th. The activity must have been someone PMing him.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    S.E.Florida
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    6. I hope the server never crashes and I lose them. We have one more day until the marking of his last activity, I hope we get some more posts!
    If I had a computer, I'd devote an entire SSD to backing up Paladin's threads, posts and art.

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    GSBLINY
    Posts
    9,599

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    The PM on the 10th was probably me. I sent along an offer of assistance, in case any family was monitoring his account.

    Anywho...a not often active forumite emailed these to me tonight, after spotting this thread. Due to PhotoBucket's petulance tonight, it's taken me over an hour to post them...if I have.

    This one is titled paladin.jpg. The donor did not draw it, and cannot remember where he got it:


    This snapshot was titled WBF.jpg:



    Feel free to ID them if you can.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    NWly shores of Lake Whitehall, MA
    Posts
    6,702

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    ...


    Feel free to ID them if you can.
    Andy, Russ, Margo, Shirl (I think), Chuck, Ken, ? (Steve or 'Canoez', maybe) yours truly.

    In honor of Chuck I've been answering phone calls. Never know we were on the 'do not call' list. We get tons of sales calls, normally just let the secretary answer them.

    "Hi, WGUN, you're on the air with Paladin."

    Silence

    "Is Mr me at home?"

    "No, Sir, you're on the air, what's your question?"

    Click.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

    International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,645

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    My own memories of the man are much more prosaic. I was bitching on this forum about not being able to get 4H x 0.25 propelling pencil leads, and he pm'ed me about this, the result being a few weeks later a small parcel turned up with a lifetimes supply of said leads in it. He refused any payment, asking me to help someone else out when I could.

    A request that I have taken to heart on a number of occasions.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,093

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Chuck and I talked about ''the army'' in general via PM.

    I told him my Dad said,'' Stay away from the Army, they just use you up and spit you out".

    Chuck said he wished his Dad had given him the same advice.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Thanks peter. That this thread still lives gives me a tiny bit of hope for this forum.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    17,094

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Great thread Bob! Chuck had an amazing ability to pour oil onto troubled waters when things got a bit heated here. I doubt anyone who had been gently corrected by him made a similar mistake too soon.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    13,006

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    Andy, Russ, Margo, Shirl (I think), Chuck, Ken, ? (Steve or 'Canoez', maybe) yours truly.

    In honor of Chuck I've been answering phone calls. Never know we were on the 'do not call' list. We get tons of sales calls, normally just let the secretary answer them.

    "Hi, WGUN, you're on the air with Paladin."

    Silence

    "Is Mr me at home?"

    "No, Sir, you're on the air, what's your question?"

    Click.
    'Tisn't me.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  16. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    10,638

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Great thread Bob! Chuck had an amazing ability to pour oil onto troubled waters when things got a bit heated here. I doubt anyone who had been gently corrected by him made a similar mistake too soon.
    I really wish he was here to moderate the cesspool the Bilge has become. There are two Bilges, the one that existed when he was alive, and now.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    magnolia springs, alabama u.s.a.
    Posts
    12,512

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Having lived this long, I can absolutely agree with that statement, but......I do think that checking out now would be disappointing to me. I want to see my grandson grow up and see how that turns out for him, and to see how things wind up for my kids now that they are all strong young women with ambitions of their own. I'd hate to leave my wife, but I know she needs me a lot less than I do her. But to fear death? No, I don't fear death. My life has been so very blessed, and every day is just another bonus.

    Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,093

    Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Having lived this long, I can absolutely agree with that statement, but......I do think that checking out now would be disappointing to me. I want to see my grandson grow up and see how that turns out for him, and to see how things wind up for my kids now that they are all strong young women with ambitions of their own. I'd hate to leave my wife, but I know she needs me a lot less than I do her. But to fear death? No, I don't fear death. My life has been so very blessed, and every day is just another bonus.

    Mickey Lake
    Pretty much as I see it and a brain cancer does make one consider such things.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •