Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Default "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

7 March 2011, our friend Chuck made his last post and went to be with his Sweet Thang a few days later. Seems like yesterday. Although we have seen some great souls sail over the bar, I don't believe any one's passing was felt quite like our Paladin. Indeed, the spirit of this place has been changed without him. I miss my friend. Please raise a glass, and perhaps post a favorite Chuckism or thread.
    Last edited by Bob Adams; 03-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

I'll start, there are plenty to choose from!

Polyestermites are back.
    I think I am scheduled for assassination.......

Suzie was driving me to dialysis yesterday, and started talking about her boat, a 36? foot houseboat. She started describing a noise that seems to manifest itself every evening when she stretches out on the sofa, sorta sounds like rice crispies in a fresh bowl of cold milk....I told her it was polyestermite season and for the next 30 minutes went into great detail of the anatomy of the critters and how they function, and eat through the hull of fiberglass boats. I suggested that she have the boat hauled and inspected asap, and pointed her to a person in Deale that has quite a bit of experience with them.
    She used the time from when she dropped me off and picking me up to stop in Deale and talk with the exterminator (a long time friend). Over the years I have sent him many clients to get rid of the things. He had Suzie sit, have coffee, and go over all the details and agreed to take a look at the problem.......
    Apparently she went home and started doing some research on the web.....at three a.m. the phone rings and I hear some really bad words and something about my gronicles in a jar......Maybe I better take her to breakfast somewhere nice.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Oh my God! That is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Go pick out a few!

Mahatma Gandhi

Not a funny, but when I posted about wanting some Highfield Levers to replace the ones my boat's FO sold, he sent me drawings & offered to talk to a foundry in SE Asia for me.

A true gentleman - with a biting wit. He is missed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    One of his better offerings, for sure. And it has legs. Every once in a while someone drags it out, dusts it off, polishes it up, and tries it on some poor newcomer around here. All in fun, of course...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    7 March 2011, our friend Chuck made his last post and went to be with his Sweet Thang a few days later. Seems like yesterday. Although we have seen some great souls sail over the bar, I don't believe any one's passing was felt quite like our Paladin. Indeed, the spirit of this place has been changed without him. I miss my friend. Please raise a glass, and perhaps post a favorite Chuckism or thread.
    Thank you, Bob, for remembering Chuck.

Chuck… The mold was broken after he was cast. His kindness reached far and wide. His financial contributions and generosity behind the scenes here was incredible. He didn’t make noise calling attention to himself, just did things to help others. Treated Sheryl and I, not to mention our daughter, too. Took a real interest in people’s efforts to do good things.

Recently, in conversation, I learned the party with whom I was chatting had done work in a field where Chuck had written a book (he gave me a copy). The other party never met Chuck, but knew of his work, and spoke highly of his knowledge in the field.

I still have, and treasure, his last voicemail message on my phone.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Well damn. I am to say the least surprised. I guess I'll have to post another one.

Ramblings of a retarded...oops...ah...retired mind.
    I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse. I can't afford one. So, I'm wearing my garage door opener.
    I also made a cover for my hearing aid and now I have what they call blue teeth, I think.
    You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized that people didn't like me anyway.
    I was thinking that women should put pictures of missing husbands on beer cans!
    I was thinking about old age and decided that old age is "when you still have something on the ball, but you are just too tired to bounce it."
    I thought about making a fitness movie, for folks my age, and call it 'Pumping Rust.'
    I have gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!
    I know, when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, 'Oh, have you got a cat?' Just once I want to say, 'No, it's for company!'
    Employment application blanks always ask who is to be notified in case of an emergency.' I think you should write, 'A Good Doctor!'
    Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do... write to these men?
    Why don't they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen could look for them while they deliver the mail? Or better yet, arrest them while they are taking their pictures!
    I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older. Then, it dawned on me, they were cramming for their finals. As for me, I'm just hoping God grades on the curve.
    'Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life.' Because 'Life is a journey to be savored'
    A RETIREE'S THOUGHT... My wife said, "Whatcha doin today?" I said, "Nothing." She said, "You did that yesterday." I said, "I wasn't finished."

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Mahatma Gandhi

Bob, my keenest memories of Chuck are from pm discussions. Which I treasure, but I won't put up here. Smoke and prayers from here; we remember.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

He was a great guy who managed to live life on his own terms. A real loss to everybody.

He came by the shop for a visit, I was cooking peppers onions and brauts on the Webber. "Life is good" was the vibe.

Its good to think about guys like, Chuck. To remember them.

Thanks for posting, Bob.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

The Spoon

Last week, we took some friends to a new restaurant, ' Steve's Place, ' and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket.

It seemed a little strange. When the busboy brought our water and utensils, I observed that he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket.

Then I looked around and saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets. When the waiter came back to serve our soup I inquired, ' Why the spoon ? '
    ' Well, ' he explained, ' the restaurant's owner hired Andersen Consulting to revamp all of our processes. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon was the most frequently dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour.

If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 man - hours per shift. '
    As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he replaced it with his spare. ' I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now . . . ' I was impressed.

I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly.

Looking around, I saw that all of the waiters had the same string hanging from their flies. So, before he walked off, I asked the waiter, ' Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there ? '

' Oh, certainly ! ' Then he lowered his voice. ' Not everyone is so observant. That consulting firm I mentioned also learned that we can save time in the restroom.

By tying this string to the tip of our you - know - what, we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39%. '

I asked quietly, ' After you get it out, how do you put it back ? '
    ' Well, ' he whispered, ' I don't know about the others, but I use the spoon.'

^ LOL! Gone but not forgotten. Its a shame he is not around to put some real bilge numb-nuts to rights over some situations in Eastern Europe.....a corrospondence we never got to finish....

Gosh. six years ago. I used to correspond with him about the Philippines and Hong Kong. He must have had a vast correspondence by PM and email and actual mail.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Chuck is definitely missed.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

HERE is a list of his threads -- an embarrassment of riches -- it's hard to pick only one.

++++++++++
    A Brief History Of Thanksgiving

1492 - Christopher Columbus discovers America, unless you count the native peoples already living there. Columbus doesn't. Columbus and crew celebrate by holding a dinner, giving thanks for their safe arrival. Embarrassment ensues when every Indian brings maize, and nobody brings pumpkin pie.

1620 - Pilgrim men invent sport of football to avoid helping clean up after Thanksgiving dinner.

1671 - First embarrassing drunken relativesat Thanksgiving dinner, as Captain John Smith's parents tell Pocahontas the "hilarious" old "I got lost in the maize" joke for the hundredth time.

1701 - At a historic Thanksgiving dinner, Dutch settlers unveil historic "Indians Give Us All Of Their Land Treaty." Due to an unfortunate oversight, the Indians are left off of the invite list, and the treaty is signed without them.

1776 - Excited that his British in-laws finally agreed to meet him for Thanksgiving dinner, silversmith Paul Revere rides through Boston announcing the news. Unfortunately, many colonists misinterpret his cry "the British are coming!" as a warning, leading to the Revolutionary War.

1812 - At an international Thanksgiving dinner,KingGeorge of England, still hurting from losing the Revolutionary War, challenges United States President James Madison to "best 2 out of 3."

1860 - At a Senate Thanksgiving dinner, the seven-year-old son of Alabama's Senator Richard Applebeeinsults the Senators from Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania, sparking the Civil War. The tradition of the "children's table" is instituted in 1861.

1903 - Canada steals idea of Thanksgiving holiday, placing it in October, so they can say it was their idea first.

1928 - To commemorate "our nation's greatest era of prosperity that will last forever and ever," President Herbert Hoover dumps ceremonial ten thousand turkeys into the Potomac River.

1929 - Following the Great Stock Market Crash, thousands of men go Turkey Diving in the Potomac River.

1957 - Declaring her spicy stuffing "a communist threat to undermine my health via heartburn," Senator Joe McCarthy has his wife placed under arrest as a Soviet saboteur.

1969 - The world's largest Eat-In event goes sour. Thousands of hippies start having bad trips when bad "brown gravy" gets passed around.

1991 - When Dan Quayle takes ill on Thanksgiving;a turkey is sworn as Vice President for three days. No change is noticed.

1997 - Strong natural tranquilizer tryptophane is discovered in turkey. A Colombian cartel immediately startsselling "pure" turkey on the streets for $500 an ounce. Turkey farmers get involved in drive-by shootings, and the U.S. government declares a national fowl emergency.

2002 - America is on a terrorist alert. It is now against the law to stuff a turkey since anyone is suspicious of hiding explosives. George W. signs this law into Congress, during a patriotic speech he defends this decision claiming "the evil doers are just looking for any opportunity to show up at your dinner table." This Thanksgiving takea realgood look at your relatives...and report any suspicious behavior to the CIA, FBI or your local police...who cares if it's grandma...it's your duty as an American...

Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    Last edited by sharpiefan; 03-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Man.

Really bummed I never got to know that cat after reading his posts.

I could have learned a lot about how to be funny and smart and cool.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Man.

Peace,
    Robert
    True. Consider the old timers here. Now imagine how much more we'd suck had Chuck not been around to influence us.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Man.

Peace,
    Robert
    Chuck's Grandfather was a bad influence. Chuck's Mother told him to stay away... Chuck's Grandfather was a Sheriff. Chuck's grandfather had a cannon of indeterminate (well I don't remember) vintage. There was a bounty on crows. There was a dead tree, upon which the crows would congregate. This all, of course, led to the term, 'a murder of crows'.

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

His activity shows a PM on the 10th, I wonder to who?

Mahatma Gandhi

Can't resist this little gem
    ++++++++++++
    ELEPHANTS

Jake is 5 and learning to read. He points at a picture in a zoo book

and says, "Look Mama! It's a frickin' Elephant!"

Deep breath .. "What did you call it?"

"It's a frickin' Elephant, Mama! It says so on the picture!"

and so it does .

"A f r i c a n Elephant"

Hooked on phonics!!! Ain't it wonderful?

His activity shows a PM on the 10th, I wonder to who?
    ....and from who?
    Mighty Strange.

His favorite Drink?

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Who has done their good deed for St. Paladin's Day?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Perhaps not a 'good deed', but in the spirit of Chuck: We don't usually answer the phone; let the secretary take the call and, if she passes it through, we'll talk to the calling party. Damned sales/political calls, despite being on the do not call list...

"WGUN, hello, you're on the air with Paladin! What's your question? What are we talking about? Preferred firearm and caliber for home defense."

Click.

Robert, when you want to kill a lot of time. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ber&highlight=
    "To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

The above is pretty well true but there can be cause for regret when you see death's imminence, living is good .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I glued in some pads on a canoe a friend is getting. Got umbrellas for my daughters 30th Bday.

I potted up 80 seedlings that I'll grow on then give away.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Robert, when you want to kill a lot of time. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ber&highlight=
    Oh Jimmy. Now you've done it.

A man of many talents:

But a very interesting thread to be sure.

I can't find my Chuck art!!! I wanted to post his "what I wanted - what I got" nurse drawing. The 007 and Sweet Thang photos too.

Mahatma Gandhi

I've got a few of those.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 03-08-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added another
    "To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

I can't find my Chuck art!!! I wanted to post his "what I wanted - what I got" nurse drawing. The 007 and Sweet Thang photos too.
    It's quite enlightening to see whose names show up here.

I aim to please.

Within the past few weeks I was telling someone, can't remember who, the story of the arrows stuffed in the holes...