Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Kickback Example

Default Table Saw Kickback Example

jimtolpin For those new to my feed...My annual cautionary photo of why table saws deserve utmost caution. sawstop technology doesn't stop this from happening. Anti kickback pauls often do, but not always. Bottom line: always stand out of the line of fire. This phone was 25 ft. Away from the saw. Stick traveled about 200 mph.
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 03-04-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Missing space
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: Table Saw Kickback Example

Oops... wrong number.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A good photo Dunc, I'm glad it's not yours.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've shot a 3/4'' x 3/4'' x 24'' length of pine through a plywood door....once.
    Grateful Dead

Sure the Wild Dingo wasn't operating the machinery?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

A fine reminder as I am deep into building a kitchen and often need to take the guard and anti kickback pawls off to do dado grooves. I am guilty of not putting them back on as soon as I should.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

It was a vampire phone. It had to be done.

Seriously, that is a sobering photograph.

Trunnel fastened wall phone. Nice.

A table saw has power. When I was beginning my woodworking education - the program shop had a couple of table saws. My second year, I became the instructor's 'shop assistant', and one of my first suggestions was 3/4" plywood panels behind each saw. It wasn't too long after that someone launched maybe a 1" X 1" piece into one of them. Even with a square end - it pierced the 3/4" and hung there. When I started to yank it out, the instructor said leave it. Excellent teaching aid.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm always reminding the guys at work that kickback can ruin your day, especially on the large sliding table saw that run a 7.5hp motor. I'm going to use this picture on Monday.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Oops... wrong number.
    They got sick of marketing calls...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

We had a man in the shop do that while cutting a mess of little wedge shaped spacers for plank laps. Frame width about 4 inches long and tapering to a point it flew up right into his forehead Bang!... just above the glasses and stuck there. He reached up feeling his head, looked at the blood running all down his hand and promptly fainted. The saw's running, he's lying on the floor out cold with a lot of blood running from a head wound; It looked bad. Nothing for it but stop the machines, help him to his feet and drive him 20 miles to the ER with that thing still sticking out of his forehead... He was fine, a couple of stitches. (It is a good thing it was a cheap Craftsman saw with only about 1hp or it might have killed him)
    It was horrible and humorous at the same time!

For years after that whenever anyone would start the table saw he would stop working and step back, block his view of the saw with an outstretched arm and a waggle of his hand saying, "That thing is dangerous!!!"

I loved that guy...

I worked at a little bush sawmill as a young bloke and the owner had been in the way of a kickback .... actually the fault of the tailer out, the bloke taking the sawn timber and sorting it then pushing the work piece back to the sawyer.

The old bloke had copped a 14 foot 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' in the side. It went half way through, the ambos had to saw it off to get him into the ambulance.

He survived and went back to the mill, strong as ever. His example was why I built a bandmill to work with, they don't throw wood at you!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I worked at a little bush sawmill as a young bloke and the owner had been in the way of a kickback .... actually the fault of the tailer out, the bloke taking the sawn timber and sorting it then pushing the work piece back to the sawyer.

The old bloke had copped a 14 foot 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' in the side. It went half way through, the ambos had to saw it off to get him into the ambulance.

He survived and went back to the mill, strong as ever. His example was why I built a bandmill to work with, they don't throw wood at you!
    But they can still bite. My worst saw nick is from an bandsaw. I have a gnarly-looking left pinkie end & nail as a result.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Great pic, Dunc.

I was an apprentice woodturner in the '70s, before OH&S laws and equipment really came in. Part of the reason I got out was because of the number of fingers my tech teachers had. Kickback was one thing, but a blade coming off the automatic lathes was another thing. I can't recall how many RPM the axle they were attached to spun at, but I had been told that when one came off at full tilt it went through the guard, past the operator, through the roof and landed in the garden of the house on the other side of the lane. A rather irate guy apparently walked in and said something along the lines of "I think this bloody thing is yours.....it landed next to me when I was weeding my roses".

It was also fun knocking the edges off a big (by our standards) baulk of timber, maybe 20ft by 10 x 10. It wasn't too bad once you got a rest on the middle, but getting the middle section down to round so you could do so led to a lot of timber rattling around and sometimes chasing you around the factory. Fun times. Not.

Yes, not being scared of bandsaws can be dangerous too.

My bandmill was sufficiently big to inspire respect.

Grateful Dead

I've shot a piece of wood through a window pane and once through a (fortunately open) glass door.
    Another kickback was more serious when a shop foreman rigged up a skilsaw as a table saw. That thing kicked back and chewed up a couple of my fingers, but no permanent damage other then some missing padding on one finger.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Not a kickback story, but: at a funeral last week I ran into an old friend. I went to shake his hand and pulled back--"table saw"? Yes, he said. Couldn't sew them back on I asked? No, he replied, they can only do that once.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

God I hate Telstra.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

When I use a power tool of any description it has my undivided attention.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

One way to get a stake in telecommunications.

I have Rigid tablesaw that I bought 20 years ago, decent saw, horrible fence. I always intended to replace the fence, but kept putting it off. a few years ago, I was in a rush and I shot a piece of wood 20 feet across the garage and had a nice hole in the dry wall to show for it. That provided motivation to put a good fence on the saw. Now I have a saw I really like, as a fence makes all the difference in the world.

I have a fear of tablesaws, but I treat my bandsaw way too casually.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Not a kickback story, but: at a funeral last week I ran into an old friend. I went to shake his hand and pulled back--"table saw"? Yes, he said. Couldn't sew them back on I asked? No, he replied, they can only do that once.
    Man . . . Twice?
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Man . . . Twice?
    yup.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I have Rigid tablesaw that I bought 20 years ago, decent saw, horrible fence. I always intended to replace the fence, but kept putting it off. a few years ago, I was in a rush and I shot a piece of wood 20 feet across the garage and had a nice hole in the dry wall to show for it. That provided motivation to put a good fence on the saw. Now I have a saw I really like, as a fence makes all the difference in the world.

I have a fear of tablesaws, but I treat my bandsaw way too casually.
    Heartily concur. A good fence is a joy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Heartily concur. A good fence is a joy.
    And a very important safety feature. I want to get the new sawstop contractors saw but it's spendy-wendy.

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    And a very important safety feature. I want to get the new sawstop contractors saw but it's spendy-wendy.
    For sure! But even lesser fences can be fettled to be safe. As long as they will hold your settings afterward... you're good. But one has to take the time to figure out how to set it up. Here's a primer -- http://newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Here's another...

If you would like to speak with customer service, please press "zero"

I haven't owned a table saw in 10-12 years. Haven't used one in 15?

I have a couple hand held circle saws.
    Used to have a foot powered ripping saw, like a big scroll saw with a big table, fitted with old repurposed band saw blades. Slow, and pretty accurate.
    I'm fixing to get up another foot powered ripsaw. With a big, long, galvanized steel table top, and sharp blades, ripping is pretty easy. Yes, Virginia, you use a fence, too...

I do have a small bandsaw. Well, Quadzilla has one, but I just pull the Dad card on anything he owns. Hehe. I think they are fairly versatile, but I honestly use very litte electricity, anymore. Couple saws, a few drills, a wood eraser, a hand planer.

That said, I ain't doing production wordwork. I'm doing diddly little bits of handwork (but, soup to nuts stuff, from riving or milling the wood right on up), or silly boats for my own entertainment.

That said, I once fired a 20' long 3/4" x 1/4" canoe strip clear through our old shotgun style house. From the back porch, right through the back screen door, down the hallway, and right out the front screen door.

That may have been one of the reasons I started with the ripping jig on a hand saw, and the stock firmly clamped down.

Peace,
    Robert

Trunnel fastened phone is my fave, so far, though I'd like to see wedged trunnels. Bonus points if the fastener in the op is blind wedged.

Holy moly, that's a photograph. Something like that should be framed and out up in one's shop as reminder.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Here's another...

you're building a boat out of particle board?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

In the furnch mill, some of the guys who took phone messages for someone on the floor, would pick up a sharp chunk of router downfall and use to pin their note on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post

That never would have happened with an old style phone...