Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everglades Challenge 2017

Default Everglades Challenge 2017

The start may be delayed due to Small Craft Warning.

These are unedited photos of a walk down the beach. 99 boats this years, always an interesting collection of vessels.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/airehe...57677482456024

Default Re: Everglades Challenge 2017

Thanks, nice photos!

Is that a Thistle with a bowsprit in picture 7?

Yes, I think the blue hull with the sprit is a woody hull #495. There is a least two maybe three Thistle hull in the race this year.

Looks like Randy Smyth is pushing the boundaries again....

Good photos. Have the EC 'filters' changed so much by now that Randy Smyth will not have to worry about dropping his mast to get under a bridge? Is that wing-rig reefable or is feathering in unmanageable gusts enough? -- Wade

Race delay till tomorrow morning, new start location. Thanks for the pics, lot more boats than when I watched the start 8 years ago. I following the veteran attempting it on a paddle board this year.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Great photos. Is your jumbo Windmill entering? I would mention her by name but I no longer have that laptop with those photos of your boat. Malua? Close?
    Last edited by davebrown; 03-04-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

What do we have here?

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Race delay till tomorrow morning, new start location. Thanks for the pics, lot more boats than when I watched the start 8 years ago. I following the veteran attempting it on a paddle board this year.
    New start location would stink if you already sent your trailer ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    What do we have here?
    This is from a French designer, https://chantiermer.wordpress.com/productions/wabi/

Thanks for the pics. What an interesting collection!

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    Good photos. Have the EC 'filters' changed so much by now that Randy Smyth will not have to worry about dropping his mast to get under a bridge? Is that wing-rig reefable or is feathering in unmanageable gusts enough? -- Wade
    And from the other side, it looks so tiny that it will be interesting to see its light wind performance. Obviously Randy knows what he's doing, though.

Is that a Finn in one pic? If a Finn can race then a Laser would be an obvious and easy boat to enter. Damn, I wish this wasn't half way around the world away.

Dave, Thanks for remembering Malu. No long races for Malu, her rig and accommodations are for lazy days sails, she is my boat of choice for the Annual Cedar Key Small Boat Gatherings each May and November.

I will be taking my Wm Garden Eel the "Aunt Louise" down to Cayo Costa for the week, leaving early in the morning, and may cross paths with some of the EC group.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/airehe...57675345712172

https://www.flickr.com/photos/airehe...57642763325984

It's more work than I want to take on to try and document the boat designs and modifications. Besides they are getting ready for the race, and while they all love to talk about their boats and sailing theory/plans, I don't want to take too much of their time. I wish there was more communication about the boats and the people, but the members of the Water Tribe is more about the doing than the documenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    And from the other side, it looks so tiny that it will be interesting to see its light wind performance. Obviously Randy knows what he's doing, though.
    there is another pic somewhere, the 'wing sail' is just the mast, he also has a fully battened square headed wolf sail that is hoisted up the trailing edge of the wing.

/\ Whoops, I just found those pics. I'd read about the "wing rig" and leaped to a silly conclusion.

I was talking about the race last night with my wife, who always wanted to do the old Worrall 1000 cat race. She said she'd be into going the EC in a couple of years. It appears that we will be looking for a Hobie Tiger F18 to charter. Yippee!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    /\ Whoops, I just found those pics. I'd read about the "wing rig" and leaped to a silly conclusion.

I was talking about the race last night with my wife, who always wanted to do the old Worrall 1000 cat race. She said she'd be into going the EC in a couple of years. It appears that we will be looking for a Hobie Tiger F18 to charter. Yippee!
    I am sure you not the only one, I can't find the picture again, started to question my sanity. Please could you post a link to them.

Very jealous of your plans, it looks like a lot of fun, and no doubt hardship. From here in the UK I will need to win the lottery, but if I did I would be on the beach for the start.

I am am also very keen to see how Meade Gougeon, canoe with small floats and Dave Gentry SOF canoe do. The tracker interface is a bit clunky for me.

Does anyone know if the CLC/Waterlust Sailing canoe made it to the starting line, I can't see any reference to it anywhere?

Cheers,

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Valley View Post
    Does anyone know if the CLC/Waterlust Sailing canoe made it to the starting line, I can't see any reference to it anywhere?

Cheers,

Adrian
    This is best way to find people if you can decipher their tribe names
    http://www.watertribe.com/events/ChallengeResults.aspx

Love technology watched Randy's tracker as he finished last night. He may not be in a wooden boat but it is not a production boat. Well done Randy for finally winning

This is scissor in Key Largo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you tink, but I can't decipher the tribe names. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Adrian

Thank you tink, but I can't decipher the tribe names. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Adrian
    This one also helps
    http://www.watertribe.com/events/ShowRosters.aspx.

Here is a fresh account of a Hobie Getaway finishing the course http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/c...allenge-update

The big surprise to me is that the multihulls didn't finish faster, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The big surprise to me is that the multihulls didn't finish faster, for the most part.
    I suspect that it is conditions. Usually the multi's outstrip the paddlers. I've only been following it lightly to see how my friend Kayak Vagabond was doing. This year they had to drive to CP 1 and start there, a leg that sailors can hammer pretty hard staying outside. Windy I gather with issues getting across Florida Bay where water got blown out. I'll be interested to see if the paddlers stayed inside down the wilderness water way which is protected but usually slower.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Certainly the paddlers did very well this year, but I was surprised to see a couple of monohulls finish ahead of all but one multi. I was also surprised how far south some of the contestants went.

I think this is one of the great things about this race, you have a huge mix of boats and depending on conditions, different types are favored different years.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Certainly the paddlers did very well this year, but I was surprised to see a couple of monohulls finish ahead of all but one multi. I was also surprised how far south some of the contestants went.
    ---I think the wind from the east made the direct-er route nearly impossible for sail boats, so the southern route seemed best. Not sure if an unusually low tide also had an effect (wind effect?)-- Wade

Cheers,

Adrian
    I was there, that boat was not.
    Dave

Mike V: Firstly, I see you are one of my neighbors--I live over by Folsom Lake. Second, is that a Wabi built by someone over here (stateside)? I wrote several letters to the designer for plans to that boat, and while he seemed initially enthusiastic, he dropped off email and disappeared. It might have been my poor French. Do you know anything else about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    Mike V: Firstly, I see you are one of my neighbors--I live over by Folsom Lake. Second, is that a Wabi built by someone over here (stateside)? I wrote several letters to the designer for plans to that boat, and while he seemed initially enthusiastic, he dropped off email and disappeared. It might have been my poor French. Do you know anything else about that one?
    I know nothing about that particular Wabi nor have I ever corresponded with the designer Gilles Montaubin. I do find his designs very attractive.

At 8.40 onwards some great footage of Meade, https://youtu.be/LIEf0BENaeo
    the B&B channel has test sails of their boat RoG

Any video of Scissors out there yet?