Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Year of origin dream garage

Default Re: Year of origin dream garage

Mines a crappy year as American cars go. This will take some hunting. First...

1961 Ferrari 250 GT. (Prefer a California Spyder, but can't find a pic of one in the right year.) Bueller... Bueller...
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 03-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

'54 AC Ace

'54 Ferrari 375 Plus

'54 Royal Enfield Metero 700
    Everything is over-determined. No one is just one thing.

"Trump is the personification of the current crisis, but the real enemy of the US of A, the whole planet, is the MIC, their global hegemony, and the continuing consequent oppression and suffering at home and abroad, the main driver of the wealth disparity and climate change."

I have really been trying. Really.

Nada.

Any car I really want is made WAY before I was born (and before all you, too), and motorbikes I want come before and after, but I don't want any from my birth year.

Well. I'll take a Unimog. They're cool. The older ones look neat, too, sort of bulbous.

Peace,
    Robert

55 Vett.
    I don't actually lust for this, however my BIL and I used to Rally with his.

I think I'll try three motorcycles from 1955:

Gotta have a sidecar rig, and what better than a Panther if you want something old and obscure? I'd have to find one with the sidecar on the correct side, of course. This is actually a '59, but they didn't change much, ever.

Although this would be more practical; one or the other.

And a Gold Star. Sorry, no Harleys or Indians; not my thing.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    55 Vett.
    I don't actually lust for this, however my BIL and I used to Rally with his.
    I have been curious how the early corvettes compare to other sports car, in particular roadsters, of similar vintage.

"Trump is the personification of the current crisis, but the real enemy of the US of A, the whole planet, is the MIC, their global hegemony, and the continuing consequent oppression and suffering at home and abroad, the main driver of the wealth disparity and climate change."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I have been curious how the early corvettes compare to other sports car, in particular roadsters, of similar vintage.
    Kind of like comparing a chain saw to a chef's knife.

Kind of wish I was born a year later so that one could have been a DB4 GT, but so be it.

I could love the SWB version just as much, but only if it was that exact blue.

Tough choice here between this and a 300D. Love me a 2x4v 392, but not enough to tolerate the catfish grill. So Cadillac it is

On gravel it handled like a plow. Wouldn't turn and couldn't stop. Rally pit crews used to run when they saw us coming!

BRG Jag

Here's a Hudson Terraplane, 1939, the year I was born:

My dad bought one three years older.

Turns out that 1939 was a historic year--
    ...Hudson, wanting a female perspective on automotive design, hired Elizabeth Ann Thatcher, who later became Betty Thatcher Oros, in 1939. A graduate of the Cleveland School of Arts (now Cleveland Institute of Art) with a major in Industrial Design, she became one of America's first female automotive designers.;

Yeah. . . I wanna change some of my picks.

The FJ stays, for now.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

C'mon, it's a dream garage...comes with an Airstream and a Chris-Craft on a trailer. Take another shot.

Nice ute.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Nice ute.
    I had one of those, surprisingly capable !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Fangio's W196

Geoff Duke's Gillera

A 21 window bus

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

The theory behind this is that the cars you saw on the roads in your youth shape your ideas of what a car should look like. I'm finding some of these choices quite interesting.

Is there anyone out there that would prefer to choose a car from say the 80s or 90s (because no one here is young enough to qualify for those) over their current choices? And I don't mean as a practicality thing, purely as an object of desire.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Possibly so, the cars I saw on the roads in NZ as a boy were .... old, even then.
    Grateful Dead

Best looking car of my yoof? probably the BMW 2002. Or an MGB. All the rest was sedans, utes and muscle-cars.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    The theory behind this is that the cars you saw on the roads in your youth shape your ideas of what a car should look like. I'm finding some of these choices quite interesting.

Is there anyone out there that would prefer to choose a car from say the 80s or 90s (because no one here is young enough to qualify for those) over their current choices? And I don't mean as a practicality thing, purely as an object of desire.

Sure. I'm certain I could find a sports car that's more fun to drive, and pickup trucks were better both mechanically and cosmetically by that time.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Surprised there wasn't a beemer in your original choice, Ian. I must say though, it was the Type 2 that surprised me the most.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I like the idea. I'd expand it a bit to include your wishlist cars from when you woke up as a young adult. Same thing really ....for me that often means 60s and early 70s cars despite my 50s birth year.
    I went to the brit euro show on sunday. Always fun.

Absolutely. Without hesitation or reservation. Flying mirror or low mounts. I don't even care about the color. The McLaren F1 from 1992-1998:

Rounded out for 3:

(1998-1999)

(1995-1997)

91 NSX

'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT

'92 Viper

I walked past a bit of a dreamy garage on Thursday. Snapped a quick shot, but didn't go in... I was on my way to a wine tasting.

91 NSX

Strong candidate for "Non-daily driver I would most like to own, $75k and under class"

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I like the idea. I'd expand it a bit to include your wishlist cars from when you woke up as a young adult. Same thing really ....for me that often means 60s and early 70s cars despite my 50s birth year.
    I went to the brit euro show on sunday. Always fun.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Having actually not read the thread rules ....

and a 203 ute.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 03-06-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    Grateful Dead

If Paul would lend me the 288 GTO on the days he's not using it,I could manage nicely with one of these.

I'd quite like a Citroen HY Van for moving bulky stuff,but they all seem to be taken by vendors of artisan sandwiches.

So maybe a Morris J1.

I actually had all three of those in different colors. You can keep the Ford truck. It rusted right up to the door handles in three short years.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    This is easy:

I would honestly be tickled to own all three of these.

I should own all three.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Best looking car of my yoof? probably the BMW 2002. Or an MGB. All the rest was sedans, utes and muscle-cars.
    NOW yer talkin'!!

I owned a '75 for a few years, and I still think it is one of the best-looking cars ever produced.

Not too flashy, nothing there that is solely devoted to ornament, just radiates confidence and panache.

I love it!

Furthermore, you can put three passengers in it with the driver, and it will STILL corner like a bat outta Hades.

Look at the grin on that guy!

Rattling the teacups.

1952 again...

My father actually had one of these:

but that was later, in 1952 he had one of these:

and of course I'd like one of these:

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 03-07-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

1977 Bedford van. One of these, converted for camping, would do me. My dad always liked VWs but I like more VOLUME in a van...

1977 FJ40 - perfect. The Assistant Principal at my intermediate school (years 7-8 of school, for most Kiwis) drove one, I always thought it was cool.

And I don't really do sportsw cars but I like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cars...1247521138.htm