Thread: Lazy Weekend Canoe Build

Default Lazy Weekend Canoe Build

I thought I would share my Lazy Weekend Canoe build that I'm trying as my first build. I made some modifications to make it the way I wanted it. I also am on a shoestring budget, so I used some materials that other will frown upon but I had to use what I had on hand and spend as little as possible. Also, this canoe will be used for fishing and the occasional calm river excursion. I'm guessing it will be used about 5 to 10 times a year and will be stored in my dry, sealed garage.

Onto the build! The attached pictures show the construction that started with 4 sheets of 1/4 inch plywood. This is my first build and I was worried about doing the butt joints but it was fairly easy and I used PL Premium for all of the gluing. This part of the build moved along quickly and didn't slow down until I scarfed and attached the chines and rub rails.

Some of the modifications I made were to cut the canoe down to 14 feet and I put the chines on the outside.

Default Re: Lazy Weekend Canoe Build

Having problems attaching pictures

Would love to see your pictures.

I'm a fairly technical guy and I have had so much trouble uploading them, so here's the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen_f...57680011159630

Click picture, right-click and chose page info, click media and scroll down to (in this case) https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2909/3...0df50acb_z.jpg (right-click to see what you have selected), when correct url is found right click and chose copy.
    (This for Firefox and with me translating from a Swedish version, so may not be exactly the same for you)

Good luck.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student and as a rigger apprentice http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/ in Swedish only, but there are many pictures :-)

Use tinypics.com instead, flicker is... not user friendly would be one way of describing it
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Flickr works fine -- if you follow the current process, which admittedly can be a pain.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended since the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL / location / address which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook or Flickr unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image to select "copy image location / address".

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
    A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try later. The problem I was having was uploading files directly to this site.

got my popcorn

pics please

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I put a link in post #4
    Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    got my popcorn

pics please

sw