Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine Boat Builders Show.

Default Maine Boat Builders Show.

Actually got a long PWM layover for it. I'll be in town Saturday.
    Looking forward to seeing some forumites there.
    Anybody know if Harry Bryan will be attending? I'd like to show him some pics of the Rambler. He doesn't have internet access.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Maine Boat Builders Show.

I'll be there. Bringing the 21' 1898 Mower racing dory just to make sure there are wooden boats there.

Still dithering but it's looking good. Are Steve and Mary up for the Saturday night invasion?

I plan on Saturday for sure, Sunday if it's worth going again. I can drive to it this time!
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    Rivus 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    I'll be there. Bringing the 21' 1898 Mower racing dory just to make sure there are wooden boats there.
    care to share photos Thad? is this a recent replica or a historic craft from the days of sail? I likely wont make it up to the Show this year... I have a deadline now for completion of the replica 1876 trans-Atlantic Banks Dory "Centennial" I'm working on... got to have her in the water, at Ipswich Ma, with sails up and drawing by 5:00 +- pm on July 14th... in order to make it to the first day of the SRR by Wednesday the 19th of July at Blue Hill Bay Maine.

* You must have seen this or others. Are you planning to sail from Ipswich to Brooklin?

Looks like some interesting lectures...

DRAFT Lecture Schedule.

FRIDAY, MARCH 24, 2017

Annual Meeting, National Association of Marine Surveyors
    www.namsglobal.org
    Lectures Beginning at 11:00 Open to All Attendees

11:00 - 12:00 CONDITION AND VALUATION SURVEYS OF COMMERCIAL AND RECREATIONAL
    VESSELS, Neil Rosen, Marine Safety Consultants www.marine-safety.biz
    This seminar description will be expanded soon!

12:15 - 1:15 TBD

2:45 - 3:45 SV KITE'S 7-YEAR CIRCUMNAVIGATION: A PHOTO-JOURNEY. Join Jack and Zdanka Griswold, as they talk about their cruise on Kite, their Bob Perry designed Valiant 42 cutter. They wrote a number or articles during their cruise. www.keelscape.com

4:00 - 5:00 TRADITIONAL SMALL CRAFT ASSOCIATION, with Christophe Matson. Catboats, whitehalls, wherries, peapods, dories, sharpies ... 19th-century America saw the development of boats that rank as some of the most beautiful and perfectly adapted boats conceived. The average TSCA member likes messing about in small (engineless) boats that perform superbly. If this kind of boating appeals to you, come hear about the TSCA, the Small Reach Regatta held each summer (Blue Hill Bay) and rowing, rigging etc. workshops to be held in Mystic CT this summer. www.tsca.net

SATURDAY MARCH 19, 2017

9:00 - 12:30 MARINE TROUBLE SHOOTING COMPETITION. Six teams from local technical programs will compete. Participants represent the next generation of leaders in the marine trades. Sponsored by Portland Yacht Services, Hamilton MArine, Marine Mechanics Institute (MMI), Universal Technical Institute (UTI) and Cottage Street Service Center.. This is a timed competition great for the industry. Encourage these students! (FOR INSIDE TRACK There are great presents and scholarships for winners. If your Local Technical High School isn't competing, WHY NOT?)

www.uti.edu, paths.portlandschools.org, www.portlandyacht.com
    11:00 - 12:00 METALLURGY OF MARINE HARDWARE, with Roger Winiarski of Bristol Bronze. Roger will discuss advantages and disadvantages of various metal types used on boats (aluminum, stainless steel and bronze) and the various alloying elements used in each. Also, how long each metal lasts and or deteriorates quickly. Bristol Bronze is a company specializing in the authentic reproduction of fittings for traditional and classic yachts. www.bristolbronze.com rogerw@bristolbronze.com.

12:15 - 1:15 HOW THE MAINE LOBSTER HULL IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR MANY APPLICATIONS IT SEES TODAY, with Eric Sorensen. The Maine lobster boat hull has a weakness as an open sea boat, particularly heavy weather. How can and should it be improved? May discuss special purpose boats with deficiencies that require seeking shelter in heavy weather. Also, the importance of having a storm strategy in the event protected waters cannot be reached during a storm. Eric is a well-regarded powerboat authority with 24 years of USCG and USN service. He has operated and evaluated hundreds of commercial and recreational craft and consults for builders and owners. www.boatcraftllc.com eric@ericllc.com

1:30 - 2:30 RE-CORING & REFITS, with John Kachmar, Wilbur Yachts, Southwest Harbor Maine. Since 1973, Wilbur Yachts has built well over 300 custom yachts from 28 - 61 feet located virtually all over the world! They’ve built boats for research institutions, lobstermen and sportfishermen. See the cover story in the February 2017 issue of Maine Coastal News. www.wilburyachts.com jekachmar@wilburyachts.com

2:45 - 3:45 FEELING GOOD ABOUT WOOD, with Richard Stanley of Richard Stanley Boatbuilders. “It’s unlikely the pendulum will swing from fiberglass, as the most popular material, back to wood any time soon here in New England .. there is a bit of a grassroots movement afoot, however,” says the December issue of Commercial Fisheries News. Come listen to Richard discuss the interesting points of his current project, a 38 ft wood hull, fiberglass deck Down East lobster boat. richardstanleyboats.com

3:45 - 4:45 ON-BOARD DIGITAL POWER DISTRIBUTION, Fred Berry, Hinckley Yachts. Digital switching, distributed switching or multiplexing: regardless of the terminology, on-board digital power distribution has attended finishing school and is worthy of consideration for vessels small & large, power & sail and custom or production. We’ll discuss the growing prevalence of digital switching systems, look at what a system might look like to the end user and to the installer and highlight the most common manufacturers in the U.S. market. Lastly, more advanced and marketable capabilities of digital switching will be detailed; monitoring, remote control and telematics. www.hinckleyyachts.com

SUNDAY MARCH 20, 2017

11:00 - 12:00 EPOXY USE IN WOODEN BOAT BUILDING, mixing, spreading, fillers, characteristics and more. Bring your questions about your current or future projects. With Rick Barkuff, Woodshop Manager, Portland Yacht Services. www.portlandyacht.com rick@portlandyacht.com

12:15 - 1:15 TBD

1:30 - 2:30 LEGAL POINTS OF BOAT SALVAGE, Twain Braden, Attorney for Thompson, Bowie & Hatch. This seminar description will be expanded soon! Twain Braden’s Portland practice focuses on maritime and admiralty litigation including, vessel salvage, collisions, Jones Act coverage, charter disputes, maritime liens and insurance coverage. www.thompsonbowie.com tbraden@thompsonbowie.com

2:45-3:30 SMALL BOAT DESIGNS, KITS AND PLANS YOU CAN BUILD, with Clint Chase of Chase Small Craft. Clint Chase will discuss the kits and plans that people can build on their own with CNC-cut parts, instructions and support. For oar, sail and power, beginner to advanced. www.chase-small-craft.com boatkits@gmail.com

Good to see that there is some stuff of interest to the small boat folks in the lectures.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Are you planning to sail from Ipswich to Brooklin?
    That's the tentative plan, depending on finishing the boat in time for some seatrials... I am actually aiming for a July4th launch so I can get some sailing in before heading down east... with fair winds it could be a 2 day trip but I'm planning on leaving 4.5 days just to be safe... with the option of bailing out at any point and trailering the rest of the way up the coast.

Mower dories are very impressive, I had a great sail in one of his 18' 1906+- designs, I can only imagine the performance of a 21'er... the 18 was a very quick boat and lots of fun to sail... and stunning good looks to boot!

Thank you, Daniel. Should be a good cruise. I should take the 21'er but I just have not been able to plan on the time. Have fun.

Somebody bump the show up for a week earlier? I thought it was running from the 24th through the 26th? The lecture schedule doesn't seem to agree - or is that being held a week earlier?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

They have the date correct for Friday. Oops.

In case any of you don't know the MBBS is at a new location this year. The old Portland Company buildings have been sold and the Show is across town this year. It's actually right by the highway for folks arriving that way.

We we will be having our annual EBS, though the house is in the middle of even more extreme renovations than usual. We'll make it work somehow.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Somebody bump the show up for a week earlier? I thought it was running from the 24th through the 26th? The lecture schedule doesn't seem to agree - or is that being held a week earlier?
    WOW! I didn't notice the discrepancy in dates, Canoez, thanks for alerting everyone. Tried calling but no answer. I'll look into it.

The Maine Boatbuilders Show is most definitely March 24-26th. PLease spread the word about the TSCA talk we're giving Friday at 4pm. Let's spread the love about small craft!!!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

OK, confirmation from the folks at the Maine Boatbuilders Show...
    Lectures are March 24- March 25 and March 26, 2017. At The Portland Sports Complex, where the show is this year, 512 Warren Ave. Portland, Maine.

Susan & I will be there

Jack and Scott, I hope you guys can come over on Saturday night for the Elbow Bending Sympoium. PM me for info.

Steven

Steven- I'll be there Saturday night (Margaret will be working, more's the pity) and I talked to Vinny George of ACACIA fame. He and Sean may make it, too.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Sadly, I'll not be able to make it this year - just too much on my plate. I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures posted from the event! (Both the EBS and the show itself, please!)
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Jack and Scott, I hope you guys can come over on Saturday night for the Elbow Bending Sympoium. PM me for info.

Steven
    I can for a bit. Can't bend too far, gotta fly in the morning.

Oh and might have some exciting news on the catboat front by then.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It looks like there will be another EBS on Friday. More details when I get them. Possibly a gathering at the Beer Garden or one of the brewery tasting rooms. I better check for more info...

I'll be there
    Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Sad to say, not making it this year. Have fun and oggle the good stuff.

It looks like there will be another EBS on Friday. More details when I get them. Possibly a gathering at the Beer Garden or one of the brewery tasting rooms. I better check for more info...
    So Anne's Friday night event is at Novare Res from 5pm to 8pm.

Novare Res Bier Cafe is in the Oldport, the address is 4 Canal Plaza, but you get there through an alley off Exchange Street.

http://novareresbiercafe.com/

Thumbs up Re: Maine Boat Builders Show.

So Anne's Friday night event is at Novare Res from 5pm to 8pm. 4 Canal Plaza, but you get there through an alley off Exchange Street. http://novareresbiercafe.com/

And here's the formal invite, as it would be great if you'd RSVP. I'm getting a nice spread of snacks for everyone who comes.

I look forward to seeing everyone!

Anne

I'd love to make the show this year, but it's not in the cards. I will miss seeing everyone & especially the always amazing Bauer hospitality. It would've been fun to do Anne's Friday night too, but maybe next year!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Looks like it will be a Sunday run for me if there is good stuff to see. Please post up stuff on offer, impressions etc. What is it like in a non funky venue?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    What is it like in a non funky venue?
    I'll be going tomorrow but will miss the 'funky venue' that gave the show so much character.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post
    And here's the formal invite, as it would be great if you'd RSVP. I'm getting a nice spread of snacks for everyone who comes.

Anne
    I was hoping to attend your soiree but the snow is looking worse than forecasted. See ya'll on Saturday.

One request - Please post photos of boats, builders and attendees!
    Self-Awareness Isn't a Magic Bullet, But It Is Step One.
    Politcal posts require a ugly boat photo with each comment. Hope i run out of photos before i run out of comments.

thank you
    Boat Designer

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post

Anne

I only took a few pics at the show. A little weird in the new venue but lots of familiar faces and there sure were high ceilings.

A nice Catspaw dinghy:

A very interesting pulling boat from Finland:

Check out these oarlocks:

Look at all that plastic grass! Sorry to not be there this year. Hopefully next.