Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll give you a million bucks to tell me what time it is.

Default I'll give you a million bucks to tell me what time it is.

Would you rather have a million dollars or a really fantastic machine to tell you the time, and rings the purest tones on cue.

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: I'll give you a million bucks to tell me what time it is.

Then there's this one if you need to know just about every major cyclic event on earth or in the sky.

Your choice. Why not buy them both?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

You first.

Bah. :-(

Chicago was right: " Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? About time?

I have never understood the need for watches except in specific situations. Especially these days when the clock is on your bloody phone.

My favorite anecdote about time is from The Soul of A New Machine, where author Tracy Kidder recounts a young computer scientist who burned out after months of long hours dealing with nanoseconds and the like. One day his colleague came in to find his cubicle empty, with a note that said ' I'm off to Vermont, where I'll have to deal with no unit of time shorter than a season'.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 03-01-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I have enough trouble with my puter and my cell phone keeping them running.
    And I can't see small stuff. I ain't carrying no stinking microscope around with me so I can read my stinking watch!

I'll take the $1M.
    “What better way for a ruling class to claim and hold power than to pose as the defenders of the nation.” Christopher Hitchens

Legend has it that apart from accurate marine navigation requirements, the railways brought the need for accurate time and standard time between linked towns and villages. Then of course the advent of industrial society with factory start and finish times etc.

Personally, except when I was working as a diver, I have never owned a watch. And somehow never needed one either.

I'll take the money too.
    The animations in the first video are cool though.

Just to set the record straight, I don't wear a watch anymore and when I did, it wasn't a Vacheron Constantine.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 03-02-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    You first.
    I suppose I'd like one but to own it I'd have to steal it. I just thought the mechanism was amazing (watch the video, get past the froo froo of the stem, dial and crystal part). A million bucks amazing? Literally way outside my pay grade.

Hell, I'll tell you what time it is for half a million dollars.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Bah. :-(

Chicago was right: " Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? About time?
    Remember PC's old signature? Maybe a Samuel Johnson quote something to the tune of:

(Something or another) is/are like timepieces. No two tell the same time yet each man trusts his own.

Maybe Pat will make a rare appearance and correct me or fill in the missing blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Hell, I'll tell you what time it is for half a million dollars.
    I don't care! All I know is that in my case it's "later in life."

By the way, it's 9:23 PM.

What good is a million bucks if I cannot tell accurate time .

And believe it or not some people will ride in a Bayliner. But some people appreciate higher levels of craftsmanship.
    The watch in question is unique and was custom made by a master watchmaker.
    Yes, there is value rendered upon something with the name Vacheron Constantin...no doubt far more than cost of labor and materials. But then again, some of you own Apple computers.

I have been known to collect classic watches...nothing like this of course...but I do appreciate the craftsmanship of those that can create and repair them. I have found them to be interesting people.
    I have on my wrist a watch given to me by my mother in 1967...a lot of work goes into keeping it running...but it keeps excellent time. And I appreciate the fine work of those that helped me keep the watch on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    And believe it or not some people will ride in a Bayliner. But some people appreciate higher levels of craftsmanship.
    The watch in question is unique and was custom made by a master watchmaker.
    Yes, there is value rendered upon something with the name Vacheron Constantin...no doubt far more than cost of labor and materials. But then again, some of you own Apple computers.

I have been known to collect classic watches...nothing like this of course...but I do appreciate the craftsmanship of those that can create and repair them. I have found them to be interesting people.
    I have on my wrist a watch given to me by my mother in 1967...a lot of work goes into keeping it running...but it keeps excellent time. And I appreciate the fine work of those that helped me keep the watch on my wrist.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what was that Johnson (?) signature quote you used again? I liked it but can't quite conjure it up. As you you know I like clocks and watches too. VC's old watches had amazing dials. Like you, I don't need to own them to appreciate them and the skill involved in making them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    And that's not the only thing you can't tell accurately! But with this watch, you'd have no excuses. It's a chronometer

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Ha! You would not recognize accurate time if it crawled up your leg and struck 11 bongs on Big Ben! Or, in you case, Little Ben! LOL

I won't call it 'wretched excess'. More like, as Pat says, 'marvelous excess'.

Even in what I would call the best of times, there is wealth inequality, and therefore people who could afford to patronize such excessive products. We can all be thankful to such people for fostering the creation of such marvels as the Sistene Chapel, the Taj Mahal, etc.

And today... with the perverse and dangerous levels of wealth inequality, and the cultural war around that issue... is maybe not such a great time to be flashing that sort of bling.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    And today... with the perverse and dangerous levels of wealth inequality, and the cultural war around that issue... is maybe not such a great time to be flashing that sort of bling.
    This thing of course is wretched excess, but let's say it was your pleasure to own a beautiful and well made timepiece of some sort. It used to be the mark of a gentleman to own a nice watch. They were the height of technology for centuries. One could, to a purpose, in an exuberant and lavish realization of a corporeal dream, go ahead and buy a fine watch for a large sum. Or a boat. If you love watches and owning something so crafted is your bliss, you scrape your stake together and go in search of the one.

It ain't me, but I get it.

I'd take the watch.

Because that'd mean I could drop a mill on a watch.

Peace,
    Precicely Now

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    This thing of course is wretched excess, but let's say it was your pleasure to own a beautiful and well made timepiece of some sort. It used to be the mark of a gentleman to own a nice watch. They were the height of technology for centuries. One could, to a purpose, in an exuberant and lavish realization of a corporeal dream, go ahead and buy a fine watch for a large sum. Or a boat. If you love watches and owning something so crafted is your bliss, you scrape your stake together and go in search of the one.

It ain't me, but I get it.
    I agree... I'm just saying - there is a certain amount of 'heads on pikes' sentiment out there. And it doesn't seem to be dissipating. And with the kleptocracy-driven TrumpGang in power, it's not likely to soon. A word to the wise.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

For what it`s worth ( what IS it really worth ? ) , that watch is a marvel of micro engineering.

I am in awe of people with the skills to make something like this.

Thanks for posting.

I gave up wearing a watch about 25 years ago and got good at using the sun. Now that I'm retired I've pretty much given up the calendar. Is it Spring yet?

what time it is
    is it time to get ill?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Then there's this one if you need to know just about every major cyclic event on earth or in the sky.

Your choice. Why not buy them both?

first thing I'd do is to go down to Walmart and get better looking wrist band
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Not a million bucks, but I just took my Seth Thomas ships clock in to have it cleaned to the tune of $375. It better by god sparkle when I get it back.

The time is now.

Bank transfers are acceptable.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Not a million bucks, but I just took my Seth Thomas ships clock in to have it cleaned to the tune of $375. It better by god sparkle when I get it back.
    Count your blessings, it's $500.00 here for a Chelsea ships clock and I have 6 of them needing attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Ha! You would not recognize accurate time if it crawled up your leg and struck 11 bongs on Big Ben! Or, in you case, Little Ben! LOL

Tic toc, tic toc......

For many years, I wore a Rolex that my wife gave me as a wedding present. Beautiful as it was, it kept time very poorly and would stop every night between midnight and 1AM. I sent it back to the factory twice but it never worked properly... unless it was in NYC where it worked perfectly.

I concluded it is possessed, probably by a long dead NYC gangster.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Count your blessings, it's $500.00 here for a Chelsea ships clock and I have 6 of them needing attention.
    Thanks, that helps a little. I thought I was being taken to the cleaners by having someone clean my clock.

I'd rather have a time machine.

The only semi expensive watch I bought was back in the early 90s, it was an electronic watch, but had all the appeal of a mechanical. It's a pilot's chronograph with circular slide rule bezel, and multiple timers, only two auxiliary dials because you could change the functions of each. Nice sapphire glass crystal and case. It has an analogue display, but the hands are all driven by step motors, and you could realign the hands/step motor position with the controls if needed. And, to show the date, there is a tiny ring of 1-31 on the periphery of the dial, you press one button and the big hand rotates to that to show the day, and the little hand rotates to one of the hours to indicate the month. Stays there for a few seconds, then rotates back to show the time. If you listen closely to the watch, it makes tiny ratcheting sounds when doing this. Love it. And it was significantly thinner than the Seiko pilots chronograph. Also came with a 10 year warranty. Listed for $300, but there was a local jeweler that sold it for half list price, all of that large brand and perhaps others. I still have it but it needs a battery and then also new o-ring seal for the back (water resistant to 100 meters too). I bought a watch back wrench but haven't gotten around to doing the replacement.
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 03-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I am surprised who accurate these AA battery powered clocks are. I am looking at one on the wall right now, which keeps time to a few seconds per month, and the AA clock mechanism typically costs about $12.00.

Saw a watch I loved in the Frankfurt Airport. Brand name Sinn. Very simple clean design. Mechanical movement.

$2000.

Found a Japanese market only Seiko on EBay. Sapphire Crystal, mechanical movement. Simple, clean and most importantly I can read it without putting on a pair of readers. Looks very much like the Sinn.

$300.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Wot kind of a pilot doesn't wear a Breitling?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.