Thread: More overhang than waterline

Default More overhang than waterline

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default Re: More overhang than waterline

Nice!
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

What is going on with those staysails?

No. Limp bananas.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Looks sprit-rigged, like an Opti.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Looks sprit-rigged, like an Opti.
    Solent rig. High-peaked lug rig.

For a moment I thought this thread was about me...

...but that would be more overhang than waste line.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Solent rig. High-peaked lug rig.
    Well that would fit, it has a solent (jib) stay. But you're saying it's rigged more like a gaff than a sprit? I should trust my original instincts, that's what I was thinking at first, but I couldn't see the blocks that are normally above the gaff.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I think you'll find it was when lug rigged boats on the Solent were developing into gaff rig. It may be that the left hand boat is the Sibbick One Rater White Rose and perhaps Bandicoot behind it, but I'm just going off vague impressions and memories.

Not sprit, and Not lug. Those are sliding gutter rigs, which were quite popular 100 years ago. The Star Class was originally rigged that way.

Gunter rigs?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

One rater is what flicked across whatever remains of my grey matter too.

Its interesting observing what comes around goes around. Pretty much every race boat and many cruising boats now have adapted what is being called a Solent rig. IE 2 headsails very close together operated for a seamless change between working jib and genoa/ either foil or flying code Zero.
    Now they're on furlers of course. If you can accept the windage they're just fantastic to use too, low stress with a blanketed genoa/ zero going down the gears or even pulling out or furling the working jib inside, it is depowered until nearly right out.

I was talking to a friend just back in town after cruising all last winter in the islands and this summer here. He was particular about telling me of sailing at night on the way to Tonga. About 7 or 8 knots of wind , doing 7 or 8 knots himself( maybe a knot under windspeed) with the big code zero pulled out. Like a 150% genoa but set flying on a non twist exotic luff rope and mdern version of a Wykham Martin furler.

Tons of boat speed, 500 miles out, Glassy sea, clear sky, star and moonlight bright enough to see everything by.

enough to make a man want to break out the Crosby Stills and Nash, even if ya can't muster 80 ft of waterline.
    Last edited by John B; 03-02-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Well that would fit, it has a solent (jib) stay. But you're saying it's rigged more like a gaff than a sprit? I should trust my original instincts, that's what I was thinking at first, but I couldn't see the blocks that are normally above the gaff.
    That's because it isn't gaff rigged. The lug yard is attached at about half its length, and part of the yard goes down to about 5 ft. from the boom. The luff is not attached to the mast. Here's a drawing from the Sailcraft blog (which I recommend.)

https://sailcraftblog.wordpress.com/category/sailing/

Some of the boats, especially in America, had gaff mains, and W.P. Stephens designed a pole-masted Bermuda rig for a half-rater, but I don't know of any that carried a gunther rig.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Not sprit, and Not lug. Those are sliding gutter rigs, which were quite popular 100 years ago. The Star Class was originally rigged that way.
    The fact that the yard goes past the mast, rather than sitting behind it, indicates that the two boats carry a "Solent lug" rig. The gunter rig has jaws or gunter irons that hold the yard behind the mast, whereas the Solent Lug (and Clyde Lug) had no such jaws and the yard flicked around the side of the mast. They were called "Clyde Lug" and "Solent Lug" to differentiate them from the traditional lug rigs, because the Solent and Clyde rigs had much less sail in front of the mast than traditional lug; in fact the Solent rig had basically none.

See for example the descriptions and photos of boats like the Arthur Payne 2 1/2 Rater "The Babe" and the Fife 10 Rater Doreen in "Small yacht racing on the Solent" in vol 1 of the Badminton Library's "Yachting", 1894. See also Linton Hope's "Small Yacht Construction and Rigging" page 163 on, and Folkard in "Sailing Boats" p 68 on. Folkard notes that the rig was popularised by Ratseys from 1889.

PS- It turns out that it is White Rose on the left; the boat that Sibbick famously launched within a week of the Prince of Wales ordering it. The boat to the right is Whisper.

PS - Cheers John; we were replying at the same time. BTW I owe a message but I've had ISP issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Gunter rigs?
    That would be my guess. Low aspect ratio too. The stay sails look less than elegant. A failed furler attempt?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

If you look closely you will see that the upper spar indeed is a lug, has no jaws, and overlaps the mast.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Describes quite a few of the old blokes on this forum.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    That would be my guess. Low aspect ratio too. The stay sails look less than elegant. A failed furler attempt?
    Sorry, but there's no doubt about the rig - Solent Lug. There's plans, descriptions and many references to confirm it in old sources such as contemporary designers and authors I listed above.

Only until they heel to a breeze of wind.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.