Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kites!

Default Re: Kites!

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    When I returned from Vietnam, I was assigned to the Primary Helicopter Training Center to become a flight instructor. The man who taught me to be an instructor pilot was a test pilot for the P-51 Mustang in WWII and had learned to fly from Orville Wright. Interestingly, his name was Wilbur. He said Orville was quite a character.
    That is cool. And very funny about their names.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    The Wright brothers did extensive experiments with kites when designing their flyer.

Not quite true. The picture shows the 1900 glider which had two axis control. It and the other gliders were all flown as kites to assure they were air-worthy and could support the weight of a pilot before anybody took a ride. The principle reason for going to Kitty Hawk was to get consistent winds of 14 -20 MPH so that they could fly their gliders on a tether. One other thing. The control lines made it possible to measure drag and lift. They attached a grocery scale to the lines when the glider was over head. Pull down on the scale and you get lift in pounds. Flying the glider close to the ground so the controls were horizontal and you get drag. It was these tests that showed the '01 glider had a lot of deficiencies even tho' it flew better than anything anyone had flown to that time.

The big kahuna of kites was an Aussie named Hargrave. I'm surprised none of them joined in on this thread to trumpet his achievements.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 03-06-2017 at 09:40 PM.

I've been too bloody busy to think much beyond my work, and I saw Rob's kites and my mind automatically went to the similar kites I bought in Jaipur.

Hargrave did feature on our old paper 20 dollar bill, before the plastic note replaced it in circulation.

I understand that he was one of a small handful of pioneers of the modern aerofoil shape, that gave his kites their amazing abilities of flight, but he never profited from his work as he didn't patent anything in the interests of open source science.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The wind seems to be picking up. If it remains steady, I will ditch all responsibilities to go test the green kite. In case it needs a tail, I got some amazing purple crepe. The little party rolls make great tails.

Anyway. Hopefully a report, and maybe a picture in flight!

Peace,
    Robert

I am looking at some 30-40 foot tall palms swaying gently.

This may may be a kite day!

Production has halted until testing. I have a feeling, from just running around the yard like a kid, that she's going to need a tail, probably a very small one, but still...
    I think the cross spar needs to move down the spine about 5mm.

Yes, I am unit-dextrous.

Peace,
    The Sad Little Boy Who Couldn't Fly His Kite...

Good luck.

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Peace,
    Wah, wah, wahwahwah wah

Seriously?!

I mean, apart from a few flukey breezes, it's nothing, here. I guess we have to wait until the end of March?

Well, I'll finish the white one just the same as this, but the next pair is getting a different crossing point.

Luckily everyone who lives near me knows what's up, so seeing me trying to fly a kite in the road probably didn't shock anyone. At least, the sheriff never came...

Peace,
    Sad Guy With A Kite and No Wind...

Your "at least the sheriff never came" reminded me of a time.. Warning - total thread drift!

I was burning brush - nothing major - a pile 5 or 6 ft. high, same wide & about 30 ft. long - so it'd stay in control (stop it by using the tractor bucket to make a "break" in the pile). When I was about halfway through the pile, a friend who is also the assistant chief in the local fire dept. pulled in the driveway, got out of the car, came over to me & said "I was driving up the road & saw the smoke. I figured either Garret's house was on fire, or there was beer." I handed him a beer. He thanked me, took a few swallows & said "I'm guessing I don't want to ask if you have a permit for this?" "Nope." "Didn't think so. Appreciate the beer though."

I love living in a rural area!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

For the record, I rarely mind thread drift. Who cares, if it's an interesting tangent, eh?

The deputies know us, and know we do goofy stuff, sometimes dumb stuff, but we are careful, legal, and nice.
    Well, sometimes we bend some ordinances without knowing, but I do abide the law.
    And, I am always nice to law enforcement. I may not agree with them, but I am civil. Especially when I AM doing something. Hehe.

Of course, having good neighbors helps, too. Mine all know me, now. Often they come join the fun.

Peace,
    Robert

No picture, and no real flight, but we did get her up and flying about 25-30 feet. She needs the tiniest little bit of tail, but flies well, from what we got. The cross bars on the next pair will be 1cm lower, actually, and hopefully can remain tailless.

The month has been windless, so far, really, so I'm hoping the adage holds and we get an awesome second half kite season.

Yes. We dropped everything we were doing to catch what breeze there was. That is, my wife and I. No kids around, just now. Ahem.

Kites.

Peace,
    Robert

I love the fox kite!

I need to photograph my little green one. The final form, I mean. All bowed and with a little tail.
    Maybe I can get a picture of it in the air one day, too, March...

Peace,
    Robert

Not even staged...

Close ups of the craft to follow. This is a SWEET flying kite. No lie.
    The little grinning emoji ain't even in it with my smile.

Glad I already took the day off.

Peace,
    Aeronautical Wizard (approximately)

The good news? The kite flies without a tail, after all. Beautifully.

The bad news? This is now a kite repair thread.

Caught a high branch and had to rip her out. Yes, I just ripped the kite out of a tree, and got a little tear, lost my bow string.
    I'll be flying again in a few hours!

Peace,
    Robert

The repair is simply gluing some tissue paper over the tear with a glue stick, then sealing with hairspray.
    That's the secret. The hair spray.
    Really.
    Soak the tissue, then let dry. Repeat at least three times.
    Makes the paper tougher.

Peace,
    Robert

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

The black one was made out of a section of bamboo, a garbage bag and some string and tape. There is no string around the outside of the plastic and if the wind picks up too much the lower part starts fluttering and it doesn't fly well.
    The multi colored one was store bought.