Thread: Sande plywood for bending?

Default Sande plywood for bending?

Looking at a Lumber Yard Skiff build, and several well-documented builds show MDO and other plywood failing at or near the butt blocks when bending in the sides. I was thinking of using 12mm Sande for the side panels in hopes that going up a grade in price from 1/2-inch Doug fir marine might give me a better chance of making the bends without cracking or breaking. Anyone have first hand experience?

Default Re: Sande plywood for bending?

I've never heard of it. What is it?

The joint is always a weak point. It may be the execution of the but tblocks as much as the wood causing the problem.

We are the best resource. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...thing-about-it
    The homely despot stuff may not be an exterior grade. Check first.
    http://www.woodworkerssource.com/woo...osimum%20utile
    https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/c...orting_rule=1a
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I just looked it up:

Sande (Brosimum utile)

Sande is an imported hardwood

Practically all commercially available sande (mostly Brosimum utile) comes from Pacific Ecuador and Colombia. However, the group of species ranges from the Atlantic Coast in Costa Rica southward to Colombia and Ecuador.
    Characteristics

The sapwood and heartwood show no distinction; the wood is uniformly yellowish white to yellowish or light brown. The texture is medium to moderately coarse and even, and the grain can be widely and narrowly interlocked. The density of air-dried wood ranges from 384 to 608 kg/m3 (24 to 38 lb/ft3), and the strength is comparable with that of U.S. oak (Quercus). The lumber air dries rapidly with little or no degrade. However, material containing tension wood is subject to warp, and the tension wood may cause fuzzy grain as well as overheating of saws as a result of pinching. The wood is not durable with respect to stain, decay, and insect attack, and care must be exercised to prevent degrade from these agents. The wood stains and finishes easily and presents no gluing problems.
    Primary Uses

Sande is used for plywood, particleboard, fiberboard, carpentry, light construction, furniture components, and moulding.

*Much of the base wood information presented here is made available by the USDA FPL FS. If you are interested in a much more technical description of wood properties, I encourage you to visit the source.

Highlights mine.

The Sande marine ply that I used to build a Candlefish 16 was a pleasure to use (9mm). I picked it up in Springfield at Tree Products. Not sure if they still carry it. No voids or surprises of any kind. As mentioned previously, it will need paint. There was some adhesive bleed through that could be seem in spots on the outer veneer. Prior to using it I boiled a small piece and then kept it in the dishwasher for several weeks. There was no delamination. What I used was sourced from Ecuador.