Thread: What weight fabric for SOF?

Default What weight fabric for SOF?

I seem to be able to get hold of

2.97 Oz Dacron or
    18oz cotton duck.

What's the recommended Oz value for SOF of these materials?

Default Re: What weight fabric for SOF?

Use 840 X-tra tough Nylon or 1050 Nylon for a larger boat.
    http://shop.skinboats.com/Skin-Boat-Fabric_c3.htm
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

8 OZ Dacron is typical.

The 2.97 oz is probably an aircraft weight cloth, which is generally more expensive.
    Also, aircraft don't bump into things in the water - however, one forumite here says he used it with no issues, with reasonable care. I think it was Wozbox.

Yes, that was me. I had an 18' tandem kayak covered with the aircraft Dacron for quite a few years, never an issue. I sealed it with aircraft dope, too, which might be hard to find these days. I've also used 8 oz. polyester and 8 oz. nylon. Current strong preference is the 8 oz. ballistic nylon, but it is fussy about sealants and coatings. Check out The Skin Boat Store for supplies and lots of sound information. (No personal connection.) The polyester can be sealed with hardware store paint, but it's not as tough and the paint I used isn't quite flexible enough in the winter and crazes.
    -Dave

Thanks.
    Now one thing I'm still confused on... Let's say I make a skiff that is 13' x 47"

The fabric has to be much wider than 47" as it has to cover the sides and bottom. Must the fabric cover in 1 piece or is there tape you can use to join sections that then get painted over?

I don't know of any tape.

I use a one piece deck and have to cut out the cockpit opening. Before it's cut, I epoxy the skin to the cockpit rim base, then cut out the opening. The epoxy is applied after the skin, just letting it soak thru. Having just replaced a skin, the epoxy joint is plenty strong. Don't know how you would hold one edge of the skin in place to glue it at a split line.

Dave Gentry attaches his hull skin with staples at the gunwale. He then installs a cover board to hide the staples and dress up the looks. You could do that along the keel line - adding a keel strip for cover and protection.

Have you actually measured the total length around the widest point of the boat? The cloth I use comes in 60" widths.

You can get fabrics in 73" widths from Dyson. If you need fabric wider than that, but can't find any, here is one solution....Use a wider than normal bottom plank (like 5 inches or so as opposed to the normal 3/4" or 1.5"). Use a glue that will stick to your fabric and glue it along the length of the bottom plank, and cover one side of the boat. Overlap the first piece of fabric with second, along the bottom plank, by about an inch. Use the same glue to glue the seam. You will have a slight visible seam along the bottom of the boat, but if you use a covering that takes adhesive well (like a dacron/polyester), glue it the plank well, and seal the boat properly (I would really recommend undercoating as in the videos from your other thread), you won't have leakage problems. Pretty much exactly what was mentioned above.

Alternatively, you could sew the two narrow pieces of fabric together before you start covering. If the weave of your fabric is really loose, you would want to melt the edges of the fabric first so the stitches hold.

The two piece staple and glue method seems the easiest to me.

Which design are you building? Is it one specifically for SoF or is it an adaptation of a ply design? Not a problem if it is. Several people have adapted ply designs to SoF. Dave Gentry has a couple of photos of a Bolger "Mippet" he adapted for SoF on his website. Just curious to see what you will be building.

CG

The SkinBoat Store has 9' wide fabric and IIRC Corey can make you wider fabric by sewing panels together for you.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/

Quote Originally Posted by cglynn View Post
    You can get fabrics in 73" widths from Dyson. If you need fabric wider than that, but can't find any, here is one solution....Use a wider than normal bottom plank (like 5 inches or so as opposed to the normal 3/4" or 1.5"). Use a glue that will stick to your fabric and glue it along the length of the bottom plank, and cover one side of the boat. Overlap the first piece of fabric with second, along the bottom plank, by about an inch. Use the same glue to glue the seam. You will have a slight visible seam along the bottom of the boat, but if you use a covering that takes adhesive well (like a dacron/polyester), glue it the plank well, and seal the boat properly (I would really recommend undercoating as in the videos from your other thread), you won't have leakage problems. Pretty much exactly what was mentioned above.

Alternatively, you could sew the two narrow pieces of fabric together before you start covering. If the weave of your fabric is really loose, you would want to melt the edges of the fabric first so the stitches hold.

The two piece staple and glue method seems the easiest to me.

Which design are you building? Is it one specifically for SoF or is it an adaptation of a ply design? Not a problem if it is. Several people have adapted ply designs to SoF. Dave Gentry has a couple of photos of a Bolger "Mippet" he adapted for SoF on his website. Just curious to see what you will be building.

CG
    Thinking of this:
    http://gentrycustomboats.com/Whitehallpage.html

Something for fishing on a lake, could be a canoe also

Beautiful design. Its the next boat I am going to build, after finishing the kids's skiff and the stand up paddle board (SoF of my own design). You could send a quick message on here to Dave Gentry, or email him at his website. I have corresponded with him before and he is extremely helpful. Just ask him what width fabric is required to build that design. I am pretty sure on all of them I have seen, they are done with one piece of fabric. Ask Dave and I bet he will tell you the width and length of fabric, as well as a source. I would still recommend Dyson, but your mileage may vary.

CG

Quote Originally Posted by cglynn View Post
    Beautiful design. Its the next boat I am going to build, after finishing the kids's skiff and the stand up paddle board (SoF of my own design). You could send a quick message on here to Dave Gentry, or email him at his website. I have corresponded with him before and he is extremely helpful. Just ask him what width fabric is required to build that design. I am pretty sure on all of them I have seen, they are done with one piece of fabric. Ask Dave and I bet he will tell you the width and length of fabric, as well as a source. I would still recommend Dyson, but your mileage may vary.

CG
    Think it's easy enough for a beginner or should I do a canoe first?

You probably can do it, depends upon the individual, not able to tell from a post or two.

You should be talking to Dave Gentry.
    He is the expert and is always willing to talk - to me at least.

Remember that a boat specifically for rowing may not be as stable as you want.
    Dave said that Ruth (one of his other boats) is not as stable as the Whitehall.

Having not built the whitehall, I couldn't exactly say. The canoe and whitehall will be similar in build though. Really, the only difference is that the whitehall has the wineglass transom and the canoe symmetric stems. The neat thing about skin on frame boats is that they generally end up really inexpensive. Both the whitehall and canoe will end up a little more expensive than a kayak, as the both have exposed inwale/gunwales, and you want those to look nice, but really, skin won't be more than $100 (and most like less) wood for the whole boat between $100 and $150, sealing and paint $25-$50 (depending on the type of wood and paint/sealer you go with) and incidentals around $50. Now, oars will add to the cost, which, if a serious concern, a canoe gets you on the water a bit cheaper than a whitehall.

If you are worried about fabric sizes, fancy wood for the gunwales/inwales, and all that, have you also considered the Chuckanut series? For fishing and paddling, the 12 footer might fit the bill perfectly. If you will be taking passengers, the 15 would serve you well.

No matter which design you choose, for any of Dave's paddle craft, you will find them to be simple to build, aesthetically pleasing, and great to paddle. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Have fun, and if you can, post some pictures of your build. Would like to see how you get along with it.

CG

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
    Thinking of this:
    http://gentrycustomboats.com/Whitehallpage.html

Something for fishing on a lake, could be a canoe also
    Qwerty,
    That boat can easily be covered by one piece of cloth. Keep it simple and use what Dave recommends, the 8 oz polyester from Geo, Dyson. His standard width, +/- 60", fits gunwale to gunwale with an inch or so to spare. Given that the frame weighs 30+ pounds, there's no significant weight savings to go lighter. Shrinks to fit, doesn't bag like nylon, very compatible with a variety of paint.

i like my Gentry Whitehall a lot, by the way. A good solo boat.

Cheers, Dan

I've built or helped build three kayaks, two standup paddle boards and a canoe in skin-on-frame (mostly Mr. Gentry's designs), I've always used 8oz polyester. It's been just fine. Nylon relaxes and sags slightly when wet, so I've read. I've never had a problem with polyester doing that.

Trevor

Polyester certainly works, and shrinks nicely under heat. The trick with nylon is to wet it out to relax it while fastening it on the frame. When it dries it shrinks back and gets tight as a drum.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by snaildrake View Post
    Qwerty,
    That boat can easily be covered by one piece of cloth. Keep it simple and use what Dave recommends, the 8 oz polyester from Geo, Dyson. His standard width, +/- 60", fits gunwale to gunwale with an inch or so to spare. Given that the frame weighs 30+ pounds, there's no significant weight savings to go lighter. Shrinks to fit, doesn't bag like nylon, very compatible with a variety of paint.

i like my Gentry Whitehall a lot, by the way. A good solo boat.

Cheers, Dan
    I agree with everything that Dan says about the Whitehall. For mine I used the recommended 8 oz dacron. It was really easy to work with and is still in great shape after a couple of seasons of use.

It was the first boat I ever built so don't worry about being inexperienced. Here's the link to my build thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...SOF-Whitehalls

Good luck! ......... Barry