Thread: Another smallest boat to cross the Atlantic Ocean attempt.

Default Another smallest boat to cross the Atlantic Ocean attempt.

I caught this in Crusing World Magazine. Mathew Kent, a fearless mariner, is planning to attempt to cross the Atlantic in the worlds smallest sailing craft, breaking the previous record set by the boat "Father's Day" that was 5 foot 4 LOA. The new boat is only three feet six inches LOA!. Square rigged and greater in beam than it is long the diminutive vessel "Undaunted" is made of alluminum. Mr. Kent states that he is not claustrophobic and can sleep just fine in the tiny craft.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-28-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Default Re: Another smallest boat to cross the Atlantic Ocean attempt.

Well this should be...interesting?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I really-really-really dislike these types of ventures. It's a stunt with no value to anyone including the goof that takes it on.

Looks tippy, but on the wrong axis.

I'm not familiar with the rules, but I would assume there is some sort of box formula?

Man crosses ocean in a Pelican case.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sort of like going over the falls in a barrel.

Jeff

One major question in these silly attempts is; assuming that he has a watermaker, where does he store all the food for the trip. I think it took Tinker belle 90 days and that boat was about 13', I think. Lots of rudder shown and I assume it is needed to tell the thing which way to go. If he survives he might make a good cabinet appointment.
    Tom L

A floating monument (for the moment) to the desire of somebody to hold a fairly pointless record.

Man crosses ocean in a Pelican case.
    Brilliant!

(Though I almost got tea in my keyboard.)

Alex

http://www.goerie.com/news/20161010/...n-in-tiny-boat

He has a watermaker. He's planning to take 300 pounds of supplies, which includes batteries, food and safety equipment. He's expecting it to take three and a half to four months. He's budgeting 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day and expects to lose 20-25 lbs during the voyage. That may be a feat of human endurance of a sort but it is not a feat of seamanship. There is no amount of that which could make this a viable journey. He will succeed or fail based entirely on luck and his ability to continue functioning while he starves himself. And frankly I don't see how anyone can function at the level needed to sail this boat for that long on 1,500 calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    http://www.goerie.com/news/20161010/...n-in-tiny-boat

He has a watermaker. He's planning to take 300 pounds of supplies, which includes batteries, food and safety equipment. He's expecting it to take three and a half to four months. He's budgeting 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day and expects to lose 20-25 lbs during the voyage. That may be a feat of human endurance of a sort but it is not a feat of seamanship. There is no amount of that which could make this a viable journey. He will succeed or fail based entirely on luck and his ability to continue functioning while he starves himself. And frankly I don't see how anyone can function at the level needed to sail this boat for that long on 1,500 calories a day.
    He doesn't have to/can't move around much.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Sort of like going over the falls in a barrel.

Jeff
    Ah yes, you nailed it Jeff!
    Jay

Just because it floats doesn't make it a boat.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

do ya think that big snorkle sticking up the top is gonna be long enough? :-)
    TZ
    "One can say with certainty that he is not with us at present. It is worth adding, however, that he himself did not always understand what time ought to be considered the present." - Laurus, Eugene Vodolazkin.

Maybe that snorkle is a feeding tube. I wonder if he will sleep standing up or curled in a fetal ball?
    Jay

It's amazing what you can do with what looks like an old life raft canister.

Sailing the thing sideways does not make her short.

At some point the record keepers will figure out that displacement is the true measure of small. Then the record book hounds will be looking at how to reduce the weight of support - food and water, like by more living off the ocean - and how to make the vessel herself lighter.

For example, at almost no cost to displacement one could build into the hull hydroponics and live on spirulina. . .

Yes, this is an incredibly silly (as well as dangerous) endeavor.

Let's now do a re-frame, and consider that what Matthew Kent is doing, is addressing a self-designed challenge to himself. He may be very happy if he succeeds,
    even if no one else thinks he done anything noteworthy or useful to others.

How do we compare this feat to that of Robert Knox-Johnston, whose Suhiali boat was not particularly well prepared for a single-handed non stop circumnavigation? It is not necessary or even smart to go around the world non stop. Joshua Slocum had already demonstrated that one highly experienced mariner could circumnavigate in a substantial boat. But a non stop trip hadn't been done before, it wasn't silly, and Robin wanted the challenge. Robin did it, and we consider his voyage noteworthy. He got knighted for it. We love Sir Robin for good reason, and like him too.

I celebrate all those who love boats and love challenges. At the same time, I hope that we can help everyone be sensible and not take unnecessary risks. If Kent fails, which seems likely, is it useful to say "I told you so?" If he succeeds, what should we say to others about the trip? "This was stupid. Don't try it?" How about: here are good articles about seaworthy boats and skippers.

All reasonable enough but its still not a boat, it is a technical exercise. One could construct a boat out of a section of waterpipe barely big enough to fit into and drift it vertically across the ocean, but is it a boat?
    whatever rocks your boat

Actually, the vertical boat might be the next thing. Some sort of sail and rudder to keep it pointed in the right direction and then out each side self-setting blades so that as the thing bobs up and down the blades direct it forward. This could get the "length" down under two feet.

Hmm,

Anyone heard about Sven Yrvind? He has spent a lifetime designing, building and sailing small (low displacement) boats. Check out his site, he has lots of interesting ideas...

http://www.yrvind.com

/F

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I hear there is a fellow sailing around Cape Horn in a 12 footer!

Here is some info on men who chose to cross the Atlantic single handed in small craft in the past. One person, Dr. Lindemann, was the inventor of the folding Klepper Kayak. He experimented with drinking seawater in small amounts as well as eating and drinking the juices of raw fish he caught. All of the voyagers speak of incredible hardship. Most all suffured from salt water sores which were very painful to live with. I have a friend who owns a Klepper Kayak who has gone on week-end cruises in his boat. I have sailed and paddled it as well but, I sure as hell would not wish to choose to cross the Atlantic in it!
    Jay
    https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.co...n-and-bombard/

Amazingly enough, that little aluminum box manages to make this just-completed Atlantic crossing look almost reasonable...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ted-in-antigua

Stupid is as stupid does.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

This chap who pulled into Antigua yesterday on a $120,000 "SUP" is going to carry on to Florida.
    I still think it is less wacky than the Scamp trip through Tiera del Fuego.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    This chap who pulled into Antigua yesterday on a $120,000 "SUP" is going to carry on to Florida.
    I still think it is less wacky than the Scamp trip through Tiera del Fuego.
    An SUP that aint, but I guess he gets his name in the books for doing the first "stand up" crossing.
    Looks like it is derived from one of those trans Atlantic rowing race boats, which I guess would be a sound starting point for that sort of venture. Now, if I eat lots of beans, and rig up a small gas engine........

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

From the article:
    "The front of the craft has a cabin, in which Bertish sat upright, and within a small sleeping space he kept his satellite weather forecasting equipment, GPS systems, VHF radios, an autopilot system, satellite phone, solar panels and water stores."

Can he really say he crossed the ocean on a paddle board? Does a paddle board have "a cabin?" "A
    utopilot?"

He might be able to say he paddled across the ocean, but on a paddle board? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Here is some info on men who chose to cross the Atlantic single handed in small craft in the past. One person, Dr. Lindemann, was the inventor of the folding Klepper Kayak. He experimented with drinking seawater in small amounts as well as eating and drinking the juices of raw fish he caught. All of the voyagers speak of incredible hardship. Most all suffured from salt water sores which were very painful to live with. I have a friend who owns a Klepper Kayak who has gone on week-end cruises in his boat. I have sailed and paddled it as well but, I sure as hell would not wish to choose to cross the Atlantic in it!
    Jay
    https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.co...n-and-bombard/
    Hans Lindemann was not the inventor of the Klepper kayak, he did use one for his crossing though. Howard Rice also used one to round Cape Horn in 1982, they're very capable boats.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

James Wharram writes about Lindeman in his book Two Girls Two Catamarans, Wharram and co met him in the Canaries before he set off on his Atlantic crossing. Set him up with the outrigger on his Kayak. All before sat phones/ GPS etc.

any photos of Wharrams girls?
    (whenever I saw him there were no clothes involved)
    as an aside , he had the only boat I ever saw that had more strings than mine!

Plenty in the book
    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    any photos of Wharrams girls?
    (whenever I saw him there were no clothes involved)
    as an aside , he had the only boat I ever saw that had more strings than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Hans Lindemann was not the inventor of the Klepper kayak, he did use one for his crossing though. Howard Rice also used one to round Cape Horn in 1982, they're very capable boats.

John Welsford
    Ah, I see that Johan Klepper invented the folding Klepper Kayak in 1907. Thank you for the correction. I have been crediting the wrong person for many years.
    Jay

And properly measured by displacement, I"ll bet Lindemann's crossing is still the smallest boat to make it. His account of the voyage is a great read -- in large part it was conceived as a test of human endurance, using himself as the test subject. It turns out that, among other things, sitting on a wet seat for a few weeks is not good for the skin.
    -Dave

I would certainly prefer to do it Wharram style, with a choice of bed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    And properly measured by displacement, I"ll bet Lindemann's crossing is still the smallest boat to make it. His account of the voyage is a great read -- in large part it was conceived as a test of human endurance, using himself as the test subject. It turns out that, among other things, sitting on a wet seat for a few weeks is not good for the skin.