Thread: Windshield glazing, what to use?

Default Windshield glazing, what to use?

Glass, lexan, plexiglass? What are people using?
    I'd prefer glass for scratch resistance. Anything else worries me with salt spray removal. If I go with glass what thickness and type? Obviously need something shatter resistant.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Windshield glazing, what to use?

You want glass, for the scratch resistance, as well as the optical clarity. Trying to see through "clear" plastic at night pretty much sucks. You'll be up on tip toes all the time looking over the top of the windshield.

You can also use a wiper on glass, not sure you can on plastic.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Have you used Margard for any projects of any kind?
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

I used 3/16 inch Lexan for pilot house windows, lots of people do the same. I fretted over whether it would be sufficiently scratch resistant, but it hasn't been a problem. It's strong, lightweight, and a fraction of the cost of commercial marine windows or custom cut, tempered glass. Rain X works pretty well to keep the rain off. Replacing any particular pane would be easy, templating off the old pane.

If you want to use glass, and don't want to have to special-order tempered safety glass, Laminated safety glass can be cut to shape and is less expensive.

If you feel brave...

Glad to see he got rid of that cigarette when using the solvent!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Have you used Margard for any projects of any kind?
    Industrial guards - milling machines and grinders.

Have bought similar (possibly the same) stuff as anti-scratch visor for crash helmets.
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 02-19-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    If you want to use glass, and don't want to have to special-order tempered safety glass, Laminated safety glass can be cut to shape and is less expensive.
    I replaced all 26 windows on my 50' 1937 cruiser. The only piece that I broke whilst removing the existing panes was the only piece of laminated safety glass on the boat. I wouldn't have that stuff anywhere near a boat.... especially somewhere that could take green water.

I replaced all panes with custom cut and then tempered glass. 1/2" in the forward facing areas, thinner on the sides.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I had plexiglass for a short time. It scratched too easily so replaced it with tempered glass which has worked well.

Laminated safety glass (2 layers of glass with a clear plastic sheet in between) as used in auto windshields can be cut to fit in the field (unlike tempered glass). There is a wide selection of plastic interlayers that will filter most (90%) of the suns rays that create heat with negligible reduction in visible light passing through the glass. 1/4" minimum thickness.

I used tempered glass .I found I needed to retrofit a wiper for dealing with spray in rough water :just the hand operated SeaDog unit from the Hamilton catalogue . It has a small footprint on the sash and was all I could fit . It's a well made piece . I was glad that I'd made a wide enough top rail to carry it .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 02-20-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Bill how big a footprint does it need?

Hi Mark .The boat is down on the coast , But here is what I found on the Seadog site : http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1887-m...ndshield-wiper

The flange dimension isn't given ,but looks to be about one inch . I had to saw and chisel a bit on the interior to provide comfortable clearance for working the lever with the windshield tight shut . It would all have been better done at the shop during the construction and installation of the windshield of course ; but it works perfectly . I was just using this last Friday ; a beautiful day on the coast ; but with some steep chop in the afternoon .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 02-21-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Bill thanks much for posting this. A great idea and ironically I'm cutting the top piece of the frame today! Perfect timing!
    Are you down at St. Simons?

Our boat came with an electric wiper on the starboard (helmsman's) side and none on the port side (of a two panel windscreen). I installed one of the manual Seadogs to port and much prefer it to the other.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

I was​ down on St. Simons . Back in Atlanta today . For me the width of the rail was important in order to get clearance for the lever on the interior . The footprint of the flange wasn't the problem ,as I now remember . I had to cut a good sized notch in my cabin framing as it was . Fortunately I had a bit of extra wood there ( hope it was extra) .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 02-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks for the link to Margard. Looks like a good material for the stowable front windshield I am thinking about for a Lumber Yard Skiff build.

Just ordered a piece of MR-10 lexan. It's got a scratch resistant coating that rivals glass, but is 250 times tougher. What really sold me was being able to cut the pieces myself. The local glass shop made a big deal about the curves in the tempered glass.
    A 36" by 40" by 1/4" thick piece was $310 not including shipping. Going thinner didn't save much and I wanted the stiffness for the opening windows.