Thread: Interlux Brightside as bottom paint?????

Default Interlux Brightside as bottom paint?????

It was suggested to me by the employee of the marine store I could use the Brightside as a bottom paint, was a little surprised at the advice and just want to check what you guys think before I put 250.00 dollars worth of paint in a place it should not be. The boat is in the water from May 15 till sept 15 its a cold fresh water lake never exceeding a surface temp of more than 70 degrees. Is this solid advice or should I use BOTTOM paint on the bottom.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Interlux Brightside as bottom paint?????

Bad advise.
    It is not suitable for even a day used trailered boat.
    It is 100 percent un suitable for a boat that will be in the water for months.
    Do not let that employee change your zincs or fill up your water tanks.

I'm with Bruce. While I used something similar on a trailered boat that would be in the water for a few hours each time, if your boat will be in the water for any extended period, you will have lots & lots of green stuff growing off it in a week.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Brightside is suitable for a day use trailered fresh water boat. Your period of immersion is very likely not. Good chance it will blister and bubble. In fresh water you don't need most of the toxic properties of the outrageously expensive antifoulung paints. I suggest you look into Pettit #1959 racing bronze. It is a hard bottom, non antifoulung paint.

Not only should you disregard the employee's advice, but you should also avoid that store. Any place with management so stupid as to hire that jerk really should be selling used cars . . .

Thank you all for good solid feed back I will request the petit 1959 racing bronze for the bottom. Nice to hear from people who take questions seriously and offer sincere responses to those of us in need of advice from experienced people that don't mind to help out when called upon.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Not only should you disregard the employee's advice, but you should also avoid that store. Any place with management so stupid as to hire that jerk really should be selling used cars . . .
    The days when one could rely on marine hardware stores for informed advice is long gone. In Seattle, we used to have Doc Freeman's; one could pretty much count on good advice there. Today, particularly at the nation-wide marine places, their boat gear advice is about as dependable as a 7-11 clerk's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Brightside is suitable for a day use trailered fresh water boat. Your period of immersion is very likely not. Good chance it will blister and bubble. In fresh water you don't need most of the toxic properties of the outrageously expensive antifoulung paints. I suggest you look into Pettit #1959 racing bronze. It is a hard bottom, non antifoulung paint.
    Why would anyone ever use a non-antifouling paint on the bottom of a boat that that will spend the summer in the water?

My experience is that Brightsides is fine for trailer sailing where you're in the water for 3-5 days at a pop. By chance, I was in the water upwards of about 70 days last year. The Brightsides bubbled and flaked right off the bottom of my glued lap sail & oar boat. This included a solid 6 week in the water run from Seattle to the Broughtons. I regret nothing, though next time I think I'll be in the water that much I'll find some sort of trailer-friendly bottom paint to use on Haverchuck. Gonna be a while before I really need to transition to bottom paint, though ... this year will probably be limited to several 3 day adventures coupled with a pile of daysails.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 02-17-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The days when one could rely on marine hardware stores for informed advice is long gone. In Seattle, we used to have Doc Freeman's; one could pretty much count on good advice there. Today, particularly at the nation-wide marine places, their boat gear advice is about as dependable as a 7-11 clerk's.
    Pretty much true around here, too - except for one small locally-owned chandlery, and the commercial guys at another, larger, one.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cumming View Post
    Why would anyone ever use a non-antifouling paint on the bottom of a boat that that will spend the summer in the water?
    Why would you spend an exorbitant amount of money and work with a truly noxious material for salt water anti fouling technology that is of no consequence in fresh water? As Todd pointed out - there is indeed weed and slime growth in fresh water. Some worse than others. Some of those expensive anti fouling paints used not even do a very good job against slime, though I think there are now a number of better performing candidates. I've used several flavors of bottom paint over the years. So sure, if money is no object and toxicity of application no objection bring on whatever super duper anti fouling paint you please. I can't speak to all of the newer water born variations. These are worth a look, but I expect still quite costly.

All I'm saying is, for folks who keep their boats in fresh water, Pettit 1959 is an attractive alternative. It is far less expensive and far less obnoxious to apply than a number of anti fouling coatings. It is not engineered for salt water organisms. I referred to it as non anti fouling - but it does in fact have some copper in it. It is a hard bottom paint that can be polished. It is designed for fresh water, full time immersion (or a trailer sailor for occasional immersion anywhere). I have a couple of client boats that are hauled once a year. In this area's (Seattle/PNW) fresh water bodies, growth has not been excessive, and is easily scrubbed off during haul out, as you would any other coating. From an excess of caution, the kutter is recoated every year, but I really think the pettit would hold up for at least two seasons. Last I checked, The Center For Wooden Boats in Seattle is converting all their bottoms to 1959. It's been around for a long time.

However, if you don't like the bronze color you are out of luck. Also note that the Pettit product has a relatively long cure time.
    Last edited by Eric Hvalsoe; 02-17-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks again guys I was suspect of the employees advice but i wanted some confirmation from other enthusiasts with some hands on experiance. I appreciate the comments.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have seen the one part poly's make tiny bubbles and pop off many times .
    Of course, all things should be measured by success, not failure.
    I would highly recommend using a 2 part epoxy undercoater/primer/builder,under most any paint.
    But then , I also usually figure, for the amount of work already done, use the 2 part poly as well.
    (I am not up to speed on fresh water ,not fond of it, inside of me or outside)
    b

This sounds like the perfect chance to use VC-17.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Many of the factors that would go into a knowledgeable choice of paint include:

Is the hull dimensional wood (and what species) or plywood (again, what)?

Will be boat be open, collecting rain water, or buttoned up?

Does the bilge hold some water normally or is it dusty dry?

Does the bottom have any sort of sealer now and if so, what exactly?

How has the OP matched the sealer to the nature of the wood?

What sort of boat - fast power, slow power, sail, row, or other?

Without this sort of information, which the OP may or may not know is important, I'd not venture beyond the general admonition that because topside paint is not formulated for constant immersion, I'd use something designed for bottom use on wood.

As I and others have noted (this may be the cause of the notion that topside paint would do the job), cold fresh water does not contain as many or as aggressive organisms to attach to the bottom as salt water and warm water lakes. Not that 72F is actually cold. Assuming no invasives like zebra mussels, a low toxicity or even no toxicity bottom paint would do nicely. But there are enough different paints for boats of different construction and different levels of use that getting more specific than this is tenuous.

If the OP is actually asking a question rather than demanding affirmation, he or she will at least consider these matters and, were he or she to want realistic advice, some specifics will be forthcoming before the thread is closed.

P.S. We'd all love to see a pic of the boat.

Why would you spend an exorbitant amount of money and work with a truly noxious material for salt water anti fouling technology that is of no consequence in fresh water? As Todd pointed out - there is indeed weed and slime growth in fresh water. Some worse than others. Some of those expensive anti fouling paints used not even do a very good job against slime, though I think there are now a number of better performing candidates. I've used several flavors of bottom paint over the years. So sure, if money is no object and toxicity of application no objection bring on whatever super duper anti fouling paint you please. I can't speak to all of the newer water born variations. These are worth a look, but I expect still quite costly.

All I'm saying is, for folks who keep their boats in fresh water, Pettit 1959 is an attractive alternative. It is far less expensive and far less obnoxious to apply than a number of anti fouling coatings. It is not engineered for salt water organisms. I referred to it as non anti fouling - but it does in fact have some copper in it. It is a hard bottom paint that can be polished. It is designed for fresh water, full time immersion (or a trailer sailor for occasional immersion anywhere). I have a couple of client boats that are hauled once a year. In this area's (Seattle/PNW) fresh water bodies, growth has not been excessive, and is easily scrubbed off during haul out, as you would any other coating. From an excess of caution, the kutter is recoated every year, but I really think the pettit would hold up for at least two seasons. Last I checked, The Center For Wooden Boats in Seattle is converting all their bottoms to 1959. It's been around for a long time.

However, if you don't like the bronze color you are out of luck. Also note that the Pettit product has a relatively long cure time.
    I did not read the post carefully enough to note that this was a fresh water lake situation, not salt water, which I have no experience with. I'll retract my comment.

Have on two trailered boats and it has been holding up fine, oldest at 5 years, your worst case scenario is having to scrape it down and re-paint, not unusual maintenance for boat owners.

A good recommendation if the OP plans on keeping his boat on a trailer between outings.

I wasn't crazy about using Brightside on the bottom of my boat, but it is a trailed boat used in cold, fresh water, and for three seasons it has done well. I never leave the boat in the water for more than 2-3 days at a time. I'll check out Pettit 1959 and VC-17, but I do enjoy the choice of colors for Brightside and Easypoxy. A trailed boat shows its bottom, and a matching color is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by W Grabow View Post
    I wasn't crazy about using Brightside on the bottom of my boat, but it is a trailed boat used in cold, fresh water, and for three seasons it has done well. I never leave the boat in the water for more than 2-3 days at a time. I'll check out Pettit 1959 and VC-17, but I do enjoy the choice of colors for Brightside and Easypoxy. A trailed boat shows its bottom, and a matching color is nice.
    I use Brightside under those circumstances as well.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

One of my points about Pettit 1959 may have been lost - it does hold up to year round immersion - in the fresh water of my locale.
    Last edited by Eric Hvalsoe; 02-19-2017 at 05:15 PM.

I use Brightside under those circumstances as well.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Yup. I had a fresh water trailer-sailor that had rustoleum on the bottom (Regatta Red seemed appropriate to a boat ). Had 3 years on it when I sold it & still looked great.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Many of the factors that would go into a knowledgeable choice of paint include:

Is the hull dimensional wood (and what species) or plywood (again, what)?

Will be boat be open, collecting rain water, or buttoned up?

Does the bilge hold some water normally or is it dusty dry?

Does the bottom have any sort of sealer now and if so, what exactly?

How has the OP matched the sealer to the nature of the wood?

What sort of boat - fast power, slow power, sail, row, or other?

Without this sort of information, which the OP may or may not know is important, I'd not venture beyond the general admonition that because topside paint is not formulated for constant immersion, I'd use something designed for bottom use on wood.

As I and others have noted (this may be the cause of the notion that topside paint would do the job), cold fresh water does not contain as many or as aggressive organisms to attach to the bottom as salt water and warm water lakes. Not that 72F is actually cold. Assuming no invasives like zebra mussels, a low toxicity or even no toxicity bottom paint would do nicely. But there are enough different paints for boats of different construction and different levels of use that getting more specific than this is tenuous.

If the OP is actually asking a question rather than demanding affirmation, he or she will at least consider these matters and, were he or she to want realistic advice, some specifics will be forthcoming before the thread is closed.

P.S. We'd all love to see a pic of the boat.
    Thanks Ian, great advice and yes I will get some pic's up soon. Its a buttoned up 61 Connie, the planks are all mahogany, she usually has water in the bilge, the pumps run every 3 or 4 hours for about 15 seconds.
    Last edited by GordC; 02-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.

One important point no one has brought up is: How long did you allow the paint to dry before immersion? Since most oil based, single component paints dry initially by solvent evaporation but more importantly by oxidation, the longer you wait, the more water resistant the paint becomes. The standard answer from Interlux technical since the 60's has been wait two weeks. This was with simple alkyd paints, which is what ChrisCraft and all the other boat builders at the time would paint the bottoms with for boats destined for fresh water. Todays paints have come a long way since the alkyds of this period, but the advice was still being given up to 1994 to my knowledge. Brightside is a urethane modified synthetic alkyd with all the bells and whistles that make it a great product. The amount of urethane modification can have the effect of producing pinhead blisters, which anyone who painted the bilge with an LPU like Awlgrip will discover in 1-2 months immersion. Awlgrip would be at the other end of the spectrum to Brightside having an extremely high urethane content. As a final note, when in doubt, ask. Interlux tech phones have access to the R and D lab and they can get the answer for you. Believe me, they know what they are doing. And then there is always testing it yourself, keeping in mind the 2 week drying period.

Well boys this has been a good info session. Just when I thought I was in the clear I was informed that you cannot buy Petit 1959 in Canada and you cannot import Petit 1959 into Canada. Canada has been severly affected by the global earth muffin syndrome. A very customer oriented vendor known as Marine Mart took the time to call Interlux and get the recommendation. They do recommend a antifouling paint even in fresh water, the also recommended one of there high end primers first so the anti fouling has something to bond to.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    My experience is that Brightsides is fine for trailer sailing where you're in the water for 3-5 days at a pop. By chance, I was in the water upwards of about 70 days last year. The Brightsides bubbled and flaked right off the bottom of my glued lap sail & oar boat. This included a solid 6 week in the water run from Seattle to the Broughtons. I regret nothing, though next time I think I'll be in the water that much I'll find some sort of trailer-friendly bottom paint to use on Haverchuck. Gonna be a while before I really need to transition to bottom paint, though ... this year will probably be limited to several 3 day adventures coupled with a pile of daysails.
    I have Brightsides on a fiberglass dinghy that's been left in the water up to a month with no issues. I never intended to keep it wet that long and fully expected what Yeadon experienced. Definitely not a bottom pain.