Thread: Where to get a good quality vice....

Default Where to get a good quality vice....

So adVice jokes aside,

I want a decent vice, but really have no idea where to get one other than from my father's workbench... Are any of th enew ones decent quality?

R

Default Re: Where to get a good quality vice....

Lee Valley/Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. Canadian and US companies respectively. Not sure if you require a European company.

If you have used tool shops that would be a good place to start. Local ads from shops that are closing or changing. Drive around industrial areas with your eyes open. Reasonably priced new ones in stores tend to be sloppy or weak or both.

That is why we spell it vise, to avoid being arrested in Miami. :^)

Disappointing - I was going to say Los Vegas.

yeah I got a lot of other vices, but none are particularly useful in the workshop despite the grip they have on me...

Main problem in Swissland is that it's pretty much impossible to buy good wood working tools. Easy if i want metal working or stone working tools.

A lot of wood working benches in Europe have vices integrated, and while that's nice, I prefer the English/American variety I pictured - also has the thread shape that prevents children from over tightening. To me, though that one above looked kinda cheap... (£50...)
    R

That's a knock-off of the Record 52-1/2. I've put my Record though its paces for about 30 years now and it is still great. Lee Valley has a similar vise that they claim is well made and they sell for about $200. A lot depends on what you are looking for. Lee Valley also has something that is reminiscent of a pattern maker's vise that sells for close to $1000. Shipping chunks of steel can't be inexpensive, I'd start by looking closer than Canada or the US. Ebay?

For a single wood working side vice on a bench, I like the scaled down version of the Record Pattern Makers vice that is available from Woodcraft. It takes the place of four or five other vices and is reasonabley priced.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...rn-makers-vise
    Jay

I too have an Emmert clone that is similar to Jay's. I highly recommend one of these. You'll love it next time you are shaping a stem or curved tiller. If you can find a real Emmert that would be a good thing.

Jeff

Darn Draht! I said Record and meant Emmert, one of which a do have an original in my other shop. The Woodcraft copy is about a third smaller than the original Emmert and just the right size for a small shop. I like the metal vise on the opposite side plus the rocker block for holding odd ball shapes. All in all, it is a great vise!
    Jay

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have an Emmert but frankly, I think the knockoffs are made of better quality metal. The Emmert is a pretty big, heavy and sometimes awkward piece of iron. For a home shop, the smaller size may be a better fit. A pattern makers vise is a nice thing to have but, for the only vise in the shop, I'd go with one of the others recommended. A used Craftsman on ebay will be good as well. Some like the plain screw types but I prefer the quick disconnect sliding jaw Craftsman as more convenient for my use. Its not rocket science and most of them work pretty well
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 02-16-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    Tom L

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I bought a quick release from Woodcraft and it was OK for a few years of infrequent use and then it started slipping. I replaced it with a straight screw vise.

There is not much in a shop that is more frustrating than a vise that won't hold your work. I had a small Craftsman once that would let the work slip no matter how hard I cranked it down. I think it was possessed.

Jeff

I have one of the new pattern maker vises, like Jay's, and love it. Lined the faces with leather, instead of wood. The way it flips, turns, rotates, angle the jaws, or straight is unbelievably useful for all the odd curving pieces in building a boat.

I just came down with a bad case of the Iwants. That is a great price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    For a single wood working side vice on a bench, I like the scaled down version of the Record Pattern Makers vice that is available from Woodcraft. It takes the place of four or five other vices and is reasonabley priced.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...rn-makers-vise
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Same thing from an italian shop, seems that York from the Czech Republic is the only remaining european manufacturer: http://www.rma-tools.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=606
    The german homepage for Dieter Schmid Feine Werkzeuge is https://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/schraub.html he has different urls for different languages.

Dictum out of Metten, germany sells several record like vises at reasonable prices - https://www.dictum.com/en/search?sSearch=vise and offer free shipping to Switzerland with a sufficiently large order which the patternmaker vise Jay rec'd I believe qualifys for https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/wood...4_94.8_3_12_12 (Woodcraft sells it, Highland Woodworking does, Dictum does - all probably sourced from the same China plant. Same with the Parrot vise several people sell now)
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 02-17-2017 at 02:49 PM.

The vice/s you use and need should be of a type that helps with the kind of woodworking one does.

I never knew how indispensable the tail vise, & bench dogs are until I had them in my new bench!

http://www.rockler.com/workshop-acce...-and-holddowns
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Solid old school bench vises are pretty easy to find. I'd go with what the guys above said. A real, full size patternmaker's vise is a nice thing to have, but rather specialized and quite expensive. An interesting alternative is what I call the "Swiss Army Vise," a Zyliss, (now marketed as the "Z-vise.") This is a portable clamping "system" originally designed for field use by the Swiss Army. It will hold just about anything, anywhere, and also doubles for other uses, even as a lathe. Not a "must have," but a "fun to have." http://www.homeshow.co.nz/zVise_overview.html

The video portrays the "Z-vise 2," which is a later model. I have the original Zyliss vise. Fine Woodworking forumites complain that the new "Z-vise 2" is made of a different aluminum alloy and is crap, so be forewarned. http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...w-zyliss-vises The original Zyliss vises can be had on eBay for less than $100 US.

What we need to know is how large of a vise do you require?

Those 3 blue Record vides that Lee Valley carries are made in Czechozolvakia. As is there bench screw.
    Decent stuff.

The Emmert is no longer made nor is the 3rd world knockoff. Which was a decent vise. I was contemplating buying one when they ceased production. Hence the used prices went through the roof.

The Tucker Vise from Lee Valley is out of production, however I know where there still be a new one available.
    Frog Tools in Chicago I'll. They are out of business but I phone last fall and when the owner closed he ended up with a lot of leftover stock which included a Tucker Vise. So I phoned last fall and he still had it but a part was missing. So I phoned Lee Valley and they can supply the part. The Ticker Vise is not cast iron so it's less likely to be cracked on shipping.

The English P&B in post #10 is decent.

www.toolsforwoodworking.com carries a vise or two.

If your having trouble finding one find of photo of the one or similar to the one you want and shove it in a paper or on a site or two.
    Last edited by goodbasil; 02-17-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    basil

Thank you all for your good advice. Esp. PeterS for trawling deutsches eBay, and goodbasil for phoning about vices etc.

You've provided great food for thought and numerous valuable links. There are certainly a large number of products of many shapes and sizes still available - albeit fewer and fewer still made in Europe.

I'll post the results when purchases are finalised
    R

Then there's this example,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...1262273606.htm

Which explains why I don't live in NZ at the moment... too many thieves...
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-18-2017 at 03:15 AM.
    R

It seems there is another european producer besides York, that is Piher in Spain, they make the red vices http://www.piher.com/en/16-bench-vices
    Closest distributor is http://www.europe-tools.eu

I went el cheapo and got a vice from Harbor Freight. It works I guess but for one thing needs to be larger and more robust.

I am amazed how expensive big honking metal working vises are.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I can't believe the price difference of that Groz (India) 9" X 10" vise in post #24.
    $614.35 in New Zealand.
    $$155.00 here in Canuckyland. Which = $ 158.70 in NZ.
    That's over 74% less.
    And it's not high quality.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Then there's this example,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...1262273606.htm

Which explains why I don't live in NZ at the moment... too many thieves...
    That sort of price gouging has turned NZers into a nation of private importers. I buy most of my car parts online, even with freight they work out just above half the local cost.

At the other end of the NZ price spectrum, this looks like it would clean up OK: http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...1261184142.htm
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    I can't believe the price difference of that Groz (India) 9" X 10" vise in post #24.
    $614.35 in New Zealand.
    $$155.00 here in Canuckyland. Which = $ 158.70 in NZ.
    That's over 74% less.
    And it's not high quality.
    Indeed,
    as Stileto points out, that's a relatively common thing in NZ. I'm all for people making a bit of profit, but gouging is just bollox. That wee swindler on trademe will probably look you straight in the eye and tell you it's the best quality ever and then throw in his grandma for an extra 50, all the while telling you she's a virgin, and then feel hurt when you call him on it.
    R

Stiletto, that Record 52E is a bargain.

If you take it apart you'll have to deal with that flat metal spring. Hard to remove, even worst to reinstall.
    I used a cheap Vise Grip type of locking pliers. Ground to a point and keep it locked until your set to reinstall.
    basil

I suspect the freight charges would kill the idea,but it might be worth looking at ebay.co.uk for a quick release Record 52 1/2 .Big enough for nearly any job and should last a hobby woodworker several lifetimes.The Emmert clone is the only thing I might swap mine for.