Thread: 18 miles in a duck punt

Default 18 miles in a duck punt

Default Re: 18 miles in a duck punt

Hang on is that from Season 4?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Duplicate post. Sorry.

Having issues. Please ignore my error.

I have stopped making films so I am re-uploading the old ones ion a format that makes google happy and with a better quality compression than the old ones. I thought blokes might like to see it. Sorry. I will not do it again

D

You misunderstood me Dylan, don't stop.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Yes, please. Love your films. Better visual quality, did you say? Post on.....

Ditto on that. I watched it full screen and the video is very sharp. I hadn't seen this one before, and was surprised how much that area reminds me of the salt marshes up and down the east coast of the U.S.
    -Dave

Have you finished the voyage around the island then?
    I'm still only up to the end of Season 4. Must get some dollars into my PayPal account.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Have you finished the voyage around the island then?
    I'm still only up to the end of Season 4. Must get some dollars into my PayPal account.
    gone bust - sold the boat

98.5 per cent of the people who have watched all the films have never chipped in

they forgot to feed the donkey and the donkey has died

I have 12 more films to post - each one will have a reminder in the middle

If I can get more people to chip in I can buy another donkey

if not then I will bow out and leave the field to the bikini girls on their 200,000 yachts in the caribbean who are earning $9,000 a week for4 waggling their cute little tushes at a go pro

I hate selling boats I wanted to keep

I have enough material for 12 more films - each will take me 3 weeks to turn from rushes into a work of art after that the cupboard is bare as I now have no boat from which to film Scotland

this is the 13th to last film - I apologise for the reminder at 18 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3VKdDTy0Y

and this was the advert I made for the snot box I had to sell. She had top go before the summer bills started rolling in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MajB4mz5ziE

she was the most reliable boat I have ever owned and I had planned to keep her for four years and use her for the outer hebrides and the outside of Ireland
    Last edited by dylan winter; 02-17-2017 at 04:23 AM.

I shall do my best to put something your way when next I hit the download button. I've been down to the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart which was superb but proved a bit more costly than planned for. Sadly KTL videos have dropped down on the priority list.

John Welsford

Jam perhaps tomorrow is better than Jam certainly never

It is very weird not having a boat on the water.

I used to love winter sailing

Last edited by dylan winter; 02-17-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Dylan,

I once wrote a book, and published it through a university press. I thought it was gonna be big. It turns out it was a niche audience. I make about $50/year. It took me two years to write.

But you know what warms my heart? I teach English in a public school. Sometimes my students borrow my book out of the library, and we talk about it. I value those conversations more than the $1 I'd get if they bought the book on Amazon.com.

I really like your videos, Dylan. They have inspired me. I'll be launching my first boat this spring, and I will launch into a salt marsh. I can't wait to see the first ducks flush from the reeds. Your videos were in part responsible for my efforts. I'm sure there are others here who feel the same.

Thanks,

Brock

I wrote too books

people liked them and paid for them

that was great

now I make films

some people like them - some people find them inspiring - some people tap me a few quid for the entertainment and inspiration I gave them. There are some great people out there

sorry you didn't enjoy the films

D

When I was writing my book, I also kept a blog about curious things I found in research. The blog was free.

I never posted anything on the blog that would go into the book. I saw the book as a fee-for-service idea, but the blog was a free advertisement for the book. So I guarded the content of the book, and only put teasers on the blog for free.

I suppose with internet commerce you have to be wary of what you put out there. If it is available for free, most people will consider it free. If you're just "hoping" people might pay without being compelled, there will be a lot of disappointment when most people don't pay.

If you think your market hasn't been tapped out, consider pulling your videos off youtube, and re-structure your marketing and distribution. If there is a market, it will pay. If there isn't a market, you haven't lost much.

No worries - 98.5 per cent of long term ktl viewers never pay a penny

1.5 per cent do though - nice blokes is all I am saying

if the films were of no value to you that is fine

no worries - after you had watched them they were still there for others to enjoy

sorry your book did not sell well

Dylan

Hey Dylan, so sorry to read this, KTL is my favorite thing to watch on the telly. I subscribed for the first three seasons just over three years ago. I actually downloaded the first three seasons when I subscribed but it is easier to just watch them online. Will send send you a taps.

Have you looked at Off Center Harbor's model? They have made it work somehow: you have an amazing body of work out there, you might team up with them or do something similar behind a paywall, do you know Steve Stone?

My daughter works in a digital media company in Holland - she is advising me what to do - the rules are

ignore the forums - but I like it here

and concentrate on those 12,000 old sailors who watch most of my films on youtube who have never paid.

I have to reach through youtube and tell the sailors who have sailed for many hours with me that I am not an eccentric wealthy englishman who loves making exceptionally good movies for fun and who thinks sailing 50 year old **** snot boxes to unlikely places is a cool thing to do when he could easily afford a good boat.

it came as a shock that I now longer have a boat to film from

I have 12 films to try to convince the 98.5 per cent of not tapping long term users of my films that a few of them should chip in for the entertainment they have enjoyed over the past decade.

bugger me... it is more or less working

but only after I sold the first boaty I have ever owned that I really wanted to keep

This morning I got five letters, real letters, with money and cheques in them

the fact that the films look great on a big telly and that you can safely watch them without embarrassing you wife if a bonus too
    no bikini sailors , no tight tushes waggling at go pros

D

My wife is a painter, a working artist, as are many friends. What you are doing is akin to what they do and to me a fresher art form, call it "afloat vingette" or something. What my wife and friends have that you may not is a community of artists who are all trying to figure out how to monetize their work. I have been interested to watch over the years those that make it pay, "packaging" seems to be one key way to get people to realize value. I have sent scads of people, and not all sailors, links to your videos trying to drum up interest over the years, always amazed how hard it is to get people to invest in a new concept that is seemingly illicit, like YouTube videos.