Okay, so I figure I will start a thread of my build so that I will be properly motivated to finish it. After all, what is more humiliating than failure in front of an internet filled with total strangers?
Anyway, I hope that the build is easier than posting pictures here. I'm having a heckova time with that.
Looks like I may have solved that one. If I can figure out how to make them smaller, I will...
But after a couple of hours of build time, I got all the pieces for the frames cut. I have 100lbs of nice stainless hardware in the shop, but my mail order epoxy hasn't arrived yet. So, all I have are pieces.
Although I did assemble the transom with some pocket hole screws:
One deviation from Spira: the sculling notch.
Here's an innovation I thought I'd share:
It's a scarfing jig. For making consistent 12" cuts in my 1x2 stock. I'm sure a lot of skilled wood workers can make that cut the same every time. Then there's me. The jig seems to work pretty well.