Thread: Spira International Dory Build

Default Spira International Dory Build

Okay, so I figure I will start a thread of my build so that I will be properly motivated to finish it. After all, what is more humiliating than failure in front of an internet filled with total strangers?

Anyway, I hope that the build is easier than posting pictures here. I'm having a heckova time with that.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Looks like I may have solved that one. If I can figure out how to make them smaller, I will...
    But after a couple of hours of build time, I got all the pieces for the frames cut. I have 100lbs of nice stainless hardware in the shop, but my mail order epoxy hasn't arrived yet. So, all I have are pieces.

Although I did assemble the transom with some pocket hole screws:
    [IMG][/IMG]

One deviation from Spira: the sculling notch.

Here's an innovation I thought I'd share:
    [IMG][/IMG]

It's a scarfing jig. For making consistent 12" cuts in my 1x2 stock. I'm sure a lot of skilled wood workers can make that cut the same every time. Then there's me. The jig seems to work pretty well.

Default Re: Spira International Dory Build

The frames I can assemble in the subterranean shop. But there's no way to wiggle a 16' dory out of my basement, so the actual build will have to take place in the garden level shop. Which is what I just started calling the garage. Unfortunately, something's gonna have to give in there first:

[IMG][/IMG]

If I can get the strongback built before she gets home from work tomorrow, I'm sure she'll understand.
    Last edited by Nova Scotian; 02-17-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Trying to fix pic

Got a break from work today, so I got the strongback built.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And the transom attached.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I guess the truck is done with the garage.

It's been almost a month since your first post, you done yet?
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Yeah! Once the transom goes on, the thing practically builds itself.

Seriously, I'll be following along. And bigger pictures are better!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Following with interest.

By the way...if you keep the car and the truck in the driveway instead of the garage, not only will you have more room for dory building, but there will be less driveway to clear of snow!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sorry all - I have been quite busy with multiple projects. My kids go to a small Catholic school that relies heavily on volunteers. While all of them have their unique abilities and skill sets they bring to bear on the work that has to get done, not too many of them can swing a hammer. So most of the construction/fabrication/repair work gets done by me.

And Kevin - good point about the snow. We're looking at a foot or more coming tonight, so that would be about 200 square feet less snow to shovel.

But I've found time for a little progress on the dory. The five frames and stem and transom are now connected by two chine logs and the keelson. I have some more scarfing to do on the shear clamps. Hope to get those on this week.

But I also have to make an Irish castle for the kids' school's float in next Sunday's Mystic Irish Parade. So that may take some time...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Nova Scotian; 03-13-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Trying to add picture