Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm never again owing a boat I can't haul and work on myself.

Default Re: I'm never again owing a boat I can't haul and work on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    As a kid I sailed Blue Jays right across the Sound from you.

Did you race with JYRA of LIS?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Did you race with JYRA of LIS?
    As I remember... But that was long ago & far away, though theoretically in the same galaxy.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    what's next? "I swear when it comes to selling my boat I won't ever use the internet to sell but find ways circumvent and hint I'm selling my boat" ?

If I want a larger boat and I LOVE large boats. I would be using a full service marina. BUT, I'm on fixed income and can't even afford glue for woodworking at this point in time. AND, why I sold my large but not large enough 30 footer. I'm happy that did have 15 years or so sailing larger boats and happy that I can share that knowledge.

Just because you are unhappy and always will be unhappy it doesn't mean all or everyone in the marine trade is out and conspiring to "get" you and you only Renard. Hope your house and dock becomes reality and you find the happiness that seems to escape you.
    Really??
    So you think that if he contracted to have the boat hauled they shouldn't put it back the way they found it. It doesn't state it but my guess is when they hauled the boat it was covered, had the solar charger hooked up, battery was charged and wasn't full of water. I seriously doubt that Reynard left it uncovered, nor do I think he should have to specify that those things specifically be done. If I drop my car off for repairs do I have to tell them to make sure they roll up the windows up or should I just be fine with finding the carpets soaked because they parked it outside with them down and a storm came up.

There is nothing in his post that indicates his expectations are unreasonable, in fact they seem quite reasonable for any haul-out and relaunch work. That's just basic maintenance. A bare minimum level of service should be understood and not have to be specifically called out in the contract.
    Tom

Thanks Tom.
    The boat was covered when they picked it up. Solar connected and battery charged. I've got her squared away again, and another potiential buyer has emerged. This time from Chigaco. Sounds like he's a serious sailer and a fan of S&S. I'd be happy to see her go to a good home. She's too pretty a boat with too neat a history to go unloved.

Hmm reading this thread I know why I'm still a dinghy sailer. I have a couple of them.

During the pasr month I have reduced the mahogany hand rail of my recently acquired 42ft Bertram to bare wood. It had been sorely neglected by the PO......Since then I have applied three coats of West epoxy resin, sanding between each coat, today applied the final coat of varnish, six in all.

Labour of love? You betcha.

At 86 I still prefer to do my own maintenance.

Somehow, I always feel I can do a better job than the professionals. On the list of 'still to dos' is the compounding the deck house and hull, the removal and cleaning of the heat exchangers and after coolers of the Yanmars and the sewing of new protective covers for seats and what have you. It's a long list.

In August there will be our annual pilgrimage to Exuma, with any luck all the chores will be done by then.

Quote Originally Posted by bahma View Post

At 86 I still prefer to do my own maintenance.
    You sir are obviously doing something right. I am very impressed. What's your secret?

The dock will compete with your boat time.....if you want to boat a lot make sure the hammock is further out than all of the boats...

and remember smallboatsmallboatsmallboatsmallboatsmallboatsmall boat

Found your boat, the Alcort Standard Sailfish. We can haul it on our wagon :0