Thread: Lean & Clean tools and best antifoul to use?

Default Lean & Clean tools and best antifoul to use?

Hi everyone. I live in the Far North of New Zealand and I have just purchased my first sailing vessel. A 24' plywood Spencer. I'm heading off to pick her up next week and sail her home around the coastline. I would like to give her a Lean & Clean before I go, but have never done this before. I presume it's a matter of scrapping the barnacles off with some kind of tool? Also is it worthwhile painting the hull with an antifoul paint? & which type should I get? Like I say, I'm new to this, so any information would be appreciated. Cheers.

Default Re: Lean & Clean tools and best antifoul to use?

State of the bottom depends on how long the hull has been floating and the effectiveness of the antifouling. I keep a small craft on mud berth in Northland, and only need to do a bit of scrubbing to clean the bottom, every few months, because nothing but algae like growth takes hold whilst the hull dries out between tides. There is no antifouling on the hulls ( a 23 ft waka and a 15ft ama). Scrubbing can be done with a pot scourer.
    When this craft is left floating, for more than a few weeks, then barnacles will start to grow, and I will need to rub the hulls down with a block of wood to knock the barnacles off before finishing off with the scourer. This is the same treatment that I have had to give to a small catamaran which had been floating in the Waitmata for a year, but which had been anti fouled by the previous owner. To apply new anti foul paint, you will need o haul out nd do a proper prep job in a boatyard.

First up - welcome to the forum and good luck with the new boat. Where will you keep her?

If it’s the one in Whangaroa harbour on trade-me I’m thinking you’ll need to slip it and clean the hull, check it over completely and antifoul it before you go anywhere. It looks like it’s been sitting on a mooring for a while so may be a bit of a mess and you really need to check the hull for rot or soft patches before you head off sailing on it. There’s a reasonable chance that if she’s been sitting unattended for a while rainwater may have been sitting in the hull causing strife.

I don’t know (can’t remember) if there is a slipway with a cleaning facility there or maybe careening piles, but usual practice is to clean it first with a gurney/pressure washer and then scrape off remaining shell and barnacles with a scraper before sanding, touching up any primer and antifouling.

You should also check on whether there are any environmental issues/regulations with cleaning and scraping if you have any ideas on careening and cleaning at low tide so that you don’t get yourself in strife.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I am fondest of the basic plastic scraper sold to scraping ice off auto windshields. That's not too likely to gouge the wood and will pop barnicles, muscles, and other hard things that may have attached.

For in-water scrubbing, I like this.

I've made variations, like a fender strapped to a stiff bristle corn broom or even a rake, using the flat back side as the breaker/scraper - not the tines!

I like to do basic cleaning fully in the water because floats on whatever scrubber you may use will take the work out of most of the hull and I often work on a tide so time dry matters.

However you do it, have it clean and out of the water for a good look and a full coat of anti-foul. There are many choices starting with ablative verses hard. Much depends on your boat and the waters so answers to that question will follow much more info.

G'luck

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure how you managed to score your user name, but good effort.

Being in Northland, you might be a bit screwed if you're caught scraping off much more than a little slime while in the water. As Larks says, I can't remember if there's a haulout up there, and I'm pretty sure that any grid or cleaning piles or the like will have been decommissioned.

Antifoul is VERY useful. Actually, in your case it's a must, because you'll be traveling to other bays in Northland and the NRC or their agents will /might inspect your boat to see if she's clean or if you've painted her bottom recently. Have a look on the northland regional council website.

Best bet is to get your new boat hauled at the closest haulout and have them waterblast (gently).

while she's on the hard, slap on a layer or two of antifoul.

Also it's a very good idea to spend a little time with her out of the water and check a bunch of things before you head off to sail her around the coast. See Larks' comments.

Where are you sailing to? (and from )?

If you're short on cash, the way to remove barnacles is a wide plaster trowel. 4" or so. you can use one of those two handed paint scrapers as well, or a block of wood like lugalong says. But don't do this below the high tideline, you really need to haul at a boatyard, or a friends place who lives by the water. get it well away from the water so than anything you scrape off doesn't go back into the water.

R
    R

So I am guessing that the keelboat listed in Trademe is what you are talking about, just as larks mentioned.
    The 9.9 hp OB motor advertised in that same listing might just be the one bought by someone else who lives near here and you probably need to get the bottom properly cleaned in order to get moving……..under sail or with any smaller OB motor.

Totora North might provide a hard place to dry out and do some cleaning between tides, which should be OK if you spread a sturdy tarpaulin under the hull to catch any debris that comes off with careful scraping. This removed marine life can be taken to a municipal refuse station and dumped.
    Now, once cleaned and inspected, you will be in a position to know if moving on down the coast is possible, and in which case you are not far from the BoI and a place to haul out for a proper clean and painting with antifoul. Assuming that by the time you get to Opua you are managing fine, it might be tempting to keep on going, and then there are options for hauling out at other places down the east coast, if not in Auckland.

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy dealing with a string of funerals. Thanks for everones support and suggestions. I decided not to do the lean and clean after all as people here and others have explained to me about the regulations and it wasn't covered in barnacles after all. I did jump in and give the hull a good poke tho to check for rot and I will do a full check when I get the chance to pull it out of the water. I am now happily sailing it around the North and having a great time. Thanks again and happy sailing everybody