Thread: Keelson scarfing?

Default Keelson scarfing?

I am getting ready to set up the bulkheads of my Beg Meil and shortly after lay the Keel. I am having a bit of a hard time locating 1 knot free piece of DF long enough for the boat. The alternative that I am seeing is to scarf 2 pieces together so that it is the appropriate length. I am wondering if this is ok to do and if so where would be the best place to put the scarf? I was originally looking at doing so closer to the bow but the more I think about it the more I am thinking that it may make more sense to do so where the centreboard is out as there is less curvature there and there would be more support around the scarf from the centreboard and the epoxy that goes with it.

I am just spitballing those thoughts but it makes sense to me, does anyone else have any ideas? I am hoping to buy the boards this week if I can get dug out from the 29" of snow we got over the last 24hrs.

thanks,

B

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Keelson scarfing?

Knots are not the worse thing in a board.
    More important may be growth speed, grain runout, bad drying.
    I am not up to speed on your keel/keelson, but generally, anything is ok to be scarphed.

All else being equal, I would place such a scarf where there is the least curve, and toward the aft end. A scarf 'can' put a bit of a stiff area in your stick, which 'can' lead to bending in an unfair way. And... If done correctly, your joint will be as strong as the original wood, but aft is a bit more protected.
    Last edited by David G; 02-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hi Bill,

I just epoxied down my keelson. I was afraid to clamp it in place without steaming it as the last 4 or 5 feet have significant curvature near the transom. From the bow to the aft end of the center board well, there is little curvature. I think you could easily put a scarf in that area. Personally, I would opt for somewhere along the centerboard well as the cleats would support the scarf nicely. You could even scarf it in place to save you the aggravation of handling a ~16 foot board. What ever you decide, have plenty of clamps ready and perform a couple of dry runs until you are sure all your clamping plans work smoothly.

Good luck,

I am not expert, but when I asked the forum this question for my Caledonia Yawl the most frequent suggestion was to put the scarf in the middle of the centerboard slot. That way the scarf would be backed up by the bed logs of the centerboard case as DeanP suggests.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I hope this is hijacking the thread too much, but I have a somewhat related question. My keelson is around 20ft long, 2.5" by 8", plans say to laminated 1/2" thickness. My problem is getting 8" wide lumber (all the DF I get from local supplier is a hair over 7.5") and on top of that, no easy way for me to rip it. Is a lengthwise scarf a totally bad idea, about 4:1 ? It wastes some lumber, and I can do the scarf off center at 3 and 5 inches, and then alternate them. I realize the keelson mainly has a lot of twisting force on it from the ballast when heeling. There is not much curvature to it, so I am not particularly worried about that.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I hope this is hijacking the thread too much, but I have a somewhat related question. My keelson is around 20ft long, 2.5" by 8", plans say to laminated 1/2" thickness. My problem is getting 8" wide lumber (all the DF I get from local supplier is a hair over 7.5") and on top of that, no easy way for me to rip it. Is a lengthwise scarf a totally bad idea, about 4:1 ? It wastes some lumber, and I can do the scarf off center at 3 and 5 inches, and then alternate them. I realize the keelson mainly has a lot of twisting force on it from the ballast when heeling. There is not much curvature to it, so I am not particularly worried about that.
    What boat?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    What boat?
    Ron Mhor, the bigger Grey Seal.

Ian is quite accessible. I'd ask him if your nominal 1X8 would serve adequately. I'm betting his answer is yes, though he may specify some minor bit of adjustment elsewhere to compensate.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Ian is quite accessible. I'd ask him if your nominal 1X8 would serve adequately. I'm betting his answer is yes, though he may specify some minor bit of adjustment elsewhere to compensate.
    Yes, I know. I have been in contact with him on several issues. That was my plan exactly. I had just thought of this other approach and thought I would post it as a question, seeing how it was somewhat related.
    Thanks.

I am glad I am not the only one with questions on this stuff! I am also glad that my instincts were correct and I will plan to put the scarf along the CB case. I am looking forward to getting this CB done so I can actually start moving forward with things, thanks for the responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by billsan View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one with questions on this stuff! I am also glad that my instincts were correct and I will plan to put the scarf along the CB case. I am looking forward to getting this CB done so I can actually start moving forward with things, thanks for the responses!!
    I agree with the recommendation - the scarf, while plenty strong enough, will be nicely supported by the case logs. Also, there isn't too much bend to the keelson at that location, so little chance of the scarf interfering with a curve.

Good luck!

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]