Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canada's PM Trudeau breaks key campaign promise

Default Re: Canada's PM Trudeau breaks key campaign promise

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    I did a Canadian politics thread, but the Canucks screamed and howled with the slightest criticism of their country or it's government.

Those were Canadian wolves, not actually citizens. Wolves don't yet have the vote in Canada so they can howl all they like.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

No need to scan all those news sites geng. There is a website set up for you. http://www.trudeaumetre.ca/
    In fact Trudeau has broken 29 campaign promises so far.

I am of mixed feelings on the electoral reform idea, so I'm not too broke up over it getting sidelined. I like the idea in principle, but have concerns that it would allow too much federal power to some of the regional fringe groups like the Bloc in Quebec and the Greens over on the hippie coast.

As long as they keep the promise to legalize pot I'm OK.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    I did a Canadian politics thread, but the Canucks screamed and howled with the slightest criticism of their country or it's government.

Here's another criticism: recently Trudeau, in a fit of unprecedented virtue signaling, said that Canada would be pleased to take all refugees "turned away" by the US pursuant to Trump's EO. Trudeau basked in the glow of this wonderful compassion, the nation in navel-gazing thrall about it, but not a single person thought to ask: "why aren't we taking these people as the nation first in line to have them?" Why did we need to wait for the US to first "refuse them" before we, as a nation, would stand up for "what's right" and take them? These are good questions. Why must Canada wait and see what the US does for these refugees before stepping up itself?

There's a certain dishonest, political opportunism to all of it. Back when Trudeau was first elevated, Syrian refugees (the refugee flavor-of-the-month, mind you) were brought to Canada in an expedited manner, with newspapers throughout the land trumpeting a mild intake as if Nirvana itself had been reached.

It seems so odd that a nation would celebrate itself so riotously for the taking in of a limited number of refugees (especially in light of what Germany has done, for example), rather than just quietly doing so, year after year, decade after decade (as is the pattern in the US). It is very much like the bloke who does charity very publicly, rather than just quietly, simply because it is the right thing to do.

The "generosity," it seems to me, was really about what it said about the Canadian people generally, rather than just quietly doing some good in the world. It suggests that it probably wouldn't even be done, really, without the potential for national self-aggrandizement it affords.
    I believe you are full of alternative facts. Criticize all you like, your criticisms are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    I believe you are full of alternative facts. Criticize all you like, your criticisms are meaningless.
    That's so polite, so Canadian....
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

Probably wouldn't even get out of the pool if we asked him nicely.

Canada's taken refugees pretty readily, and various other immigrants besides, for as long as I can remember. Various of us have similarly been working through typical Canadian channels to increase the numbers taken for as long; hell, first I became aware of it was when the immigrants de jour were Vietnamese "boat people." Now we have many such "boat people" sponsoring refugees themselves, as a way of paying things forwards. I've lots of my own issues with our immigration policies, dating back a couple of decades when the branch I then worked for in Alberta's provincial government was negotiating a "provincial nominee" program as an attempt to cream off immigrants to suit our needs. I have ethical problems in trying to recruit physicians from sub-Saharan Africa, for instance, because we think it would be nice to have them work in our facilities. I have ethical problems in immigration policies which give a shorter wait to people with large amounts of cash they can bring with them to invest too, rather than working as hard or harder to reunite families.

It's all about the society you want to create; and also worth remembering that for the first 100 years of immigration into most any New World country, the majority of the people who came weren't the "cream" off anyone's society. Whether convicts transported to Aus, or paupers fleeing the Irish potato famine, or Ukrainian immigrants busting sod on the prairie, these were people who had a damned good reason to leave wherever they were before - mostly "economic immigrants" as we'd call them today. They built my place, and yours, and we're pretty dumb to ignore all that lived history and imagine newcomers won't work as hard and bring as much benefit to us all.

As to why Canada stepped up to take the refugees Trump turned away, SB, the short answer is that our Canadian "vetting processes" are such that there's a waiting list now for people who want to become refugee sponsors for Syrians. Given that, and given that you had a bunch of people already in transit, we figured it was the decent thing to offer to take them in rather than send them back to whatever refugee camp they'd been holed up in for years. They'd already been screened thoroughly, and any blips to address Canadian legal requirements too could happen here.

Why make the offer publicly? How else do you let anyone know that the offer even exists? Not that every person wants to come to Canada anyhow, but whatever.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

...I am of mixed feelings on the electoral reform idea.... I like the idea in principle, but have concerns that it would allow too much federal power to some of the regional fringe groups like the Bloc in Quebec and the Greens over on the hippie coast...
    I'm not especially concerned about this. I will consult with my brother who lives in Germany where they have both proportional representation and a well established Green party.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I'm not especially concerned about this. I will consult with my brother who lives in Germany where they have both proportional representation and a well established Green party.
    Don't get me wrong. I like Elizabeth May, and I think she does a good job, I just can't imagine a dozen or more of her in the house at the same time!

Don't get me wrong. I like Elizabeth May, and I think she does a good job, I just can't imagine a dozen or more of her in the house at the same time!
    I have talked with Elizabeth May a couple of times. I think she is well aware that her way of being would have to change somewhat if she had a 'Party' populating the Commons with her. Right now she is the 'voice that crieth in the wilderness' but has some support from both the NDP and the Liberals.

And Elizabeth May is actually an East Coaster. From Cape Breton, I recall. So she represents the entire breadth of the country

And Elizabeth May is actually an East Coaster. From Cape Breton, I recall. So she represents the entire breadth of the country
    Really! I didn't know that. A fellow Nova Scotian.
    I really do respect her and what she does. Sometimes she goes just a bit too far in her statements, but I know that is just to make her point. I do follow her on facebook.

Really! I didn't know that. A fellow Nova Scotian.
    I really do respect her and what she does. Sometimes she goes just a bit too far in her statements, but I know that is just to make her point. I do follow her on facebook.
    From Wiki
    May's family home is in Margaree Harbour, Cape Breton Island she moved her permanent residence to Sidney, British Columbia in 2010.
    And from Sierra Club
    Farley’s famous “Boat That Wouldn’t Float” was in fact parked at the restaurant owned by Elizabeth May’s family in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, not far from where he spent his summers. I know it’s pretty hard to picture a young Elizabeth May serving Farley Mowat fish and chips, but there he was - encouraging her environmentalism between mouthfuls.http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/RIP-Farley

Geng's just mad Justin's stealing his girl:
    https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/statu...75882972196864

bottom right picture

The Liberals were OK with election reform as long as they got the "ranked ballot" option but they were the only ones who seem to have wanted that. Everybody else seems to have wanted proportional representation. My own personal preference would have seen runoff elections until the winners had more than 50% of the vote. The Liberals and the CPC have both had majority governments with less that 40% of the popular vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

bottom right picture
    Sophie's not gonna like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    The Liberals were OK with election reform as long as they got the "ranked ballot" option but they were the only ones who seem to have wanted that. Everybody else seems to have wanted proportional representation. My own personal preference would have seen runoff elections until the winners had more than 50% of the vote. The Liberals and the CPC have both had majority governments with less that 40% of the popular vote.
    I agree, that would be a great system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

bottom right picture
    That is funny.

She actually was born and mostly brought up un the US, and moved to Cape Breton in her teens.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Does anyone on this forum live without any debt?
    There's debt and there's debt. My phone bill is a debt until I've paid it, but that is a lot different from being in hock to a credit card company or a mortgage holder, neither of which I have.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    She actually was born and mostly brought up un the US, and moved to Cape Breton in her teens.
    So she could be the first female president.

...So she represents the entire breadth of the country
    Very subtle, but fat jokes are not to be tolerated.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

Title: Stop swooning over Justin Trudeau. The man is a disaster for the planet
    Link: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...isaster-planet

That's a helluva opener!
    You sure you want to use that link?

Donald Trump is so spectacularly horrible that its hard to look away especially now that hes discovered bombs.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Title: Stop swooning over Justin Trudeau. The man is a disaster for the planet
    Link: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...isaster-planet
    What took you so long? This article showed up on my facebook feed two days ago. Sure, Trudeau is a bit like the arms dealer who doesn't shoot anyone himself, he only sells the weapons. Hey, Canada just sells oil. What happens to it after it's piped to the USA isn't our fault. Nobody makes America burn it. That's on you guys south of the border. But if that's what it takes to keep the coal mines from reopening then we're willing to do our bit. Because that's just the kind of country we are. And don't point your finger at me. I voted Green.

Trudeau's Liberals last May made a Motion to limit debate in Parliament. http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liber...ooms-1.2907468

There was a tiny bit of objection in the media.

If Harper had ever suggested such a thing the screaming would have been endless.

Anyway, the last election result was a protest against Harper more than it was support for Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    True. Many of us are very upset about this, very. The news is a couple of weeks old now; curious that you'd discovered it just today.
    it doesn't count because a non Canadian didn't post about it in time?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    True. Many of us are very upset about this, very. The news is a couple of weeks old now; curious that you'd discovered it just today.
    The more curious point is if you are upset about this why didn't you post about it?

Maybe because we Canadians prefer to keep our politics out of a forum predicated on the appreciation of boats...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    The more curious point is if you are upset about this why didn't you post about it?
    Canadian politics threads haven't had very long lives here, for a variety of entirely understandable reasons.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott