Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • navydog
    • Sep 2007

Re: Gartside # 207

Oh those are to small, they will clog when they are needed the most.

Comment

• zauberberg
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by navydog
      You are talking about the limber holes, right? Might be true. I think we will have at look again at them when the wholes for the keel bolts are bored - although the boat is a glued construction and I seriously hope for a dry bilge.

In the meantime more photos: Second layer of deck is done:

and the cabin sole is also developing: You can see the two fixed-to-the-boat parts of the sole that have been installed now, leaving space for the removable parts of the sole in between:

Thomas
      -----------------------------------
      panta rei

Comment

• PeterSibley
        • Dec 2001

Run a light chain through them, it will clear any gunk easily.
        '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
        Grateful Dead

Comment

• zauberberg
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by PeterSibley
          Run a light chain through them, it will clear any gunk easily.
          This would for sure add a traditional flavour to the boat ...
          Thomas
          panta rei

Comment

• navydog
            • Sep 2007

Thomas,
            I mention the limber holes because in my view they should be effective in a worst case scenario due catastrophic failure of hull integrity, failure of a through hull or other unforeseen event. I'd rather have the bilge pump pumping water directly from the bottom of the bilge without filling each segment between floors and pouring over the tops.

Comment

• zauberberg
              • Sep 2004

Thomas,
              I mention the limber holes because in my view they should be effective in a worst case scenario due catastrophic failure of hull integrity, failure of a through hull or other unforeseen event. I'd rather have the bilge pump pumping water directly from the bottom of the bilge without filling each segment between floors and pouring over the tops.
              No doubt about this one, there will be sufficiently sized limber holes.
              Thomas
              panta rei

Comment

• Sailor
                Senior Member #4610
                • Feb 2002

I see they're down the middle. I would put them on either side of the floor so that they can drain even when heeled over on one tack or the other. A router with a large square bit would make nice square holes if run on a guide flush with the top of the keel timber. You're below the lower bolt holding the frame to the floor so you're not losing any strength there. Easy and quick to do.
                If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
                -Henry David Thoreau-

Comment

• zauberberg
                  • Sep 2004

And the work continues. The cabin sole with the removable elements to access the bilge is finished:

Closed:

and open:

Framework of the sofa takes shape:

The head and the space for the head door is beeing planned:

And finally the form tor the ballast keel is nearly finished: That ballast keel founding will be quite an operation!

Thomas
                  panta rei

Comment

• Max F
                    • Nov 2008

Some nice new building pictures and a hot café made my day this morning

Comment

• master of nun
                      • Sep 2016

Very nice, I do Like the Gartside designs. I very near came to building a 24ft launch of his for a client, nearly ten years ago now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• zauberberg
                        • Sep 2004

What is new? The ballast model is ready. Here to be seen on it's saw horses

and here try fitted on the boat itself:

A little fiddling around and we will have a fit. Time to add the still missing front part of the keel!

Work is also progressing above the deck level: The deck house and the coamings are fitted.

Thomas
                        panta rei

Comment

• zauberberg
                          • Sep 2004

For the deck house sides as well as for the coamings the plan calls for a sandwich from a plywood layer in the center with two external layers of WRC, and so this is what we do:

Thomas
                          panta rei

Comment

• Matti
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by zauberberg
                            Yes, Gartside has a hand for beautiful lines. I remember having seen a Gartside design #109, now sailing as "Freya von den sieben Inseln", during her build in the boatyard, and her lines were breathtaking.

Here a comparision of #207 with some other, IMHO also very beautiful designs out of my selection process:

From left to right: 34ft Burnett, 22ft Romilly, 34ft #207, 30ft Roxanne, 30ft #109

I read whole thread and made an observation; If you mean this http://www.schiffsspotter.de/Kutter/..._sieben_Inseln
                            builder has taken some freedom of design, dimensions are different, especially beam 3,63 is much more than my 109;s 3,05
                            It might be design 223?
                            Matti
                            Last edited by Matti; 03-01-2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Project-Avalon
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Matti
                              It might be design 223?
                              Matti
                              I recently got the plans for 223. It does look about right for it. The beam is listed at 11'4" (about 3.45m?).

~Dan

Comment

• zauberberg
                                • Sep 2004

Yes, Matti, this is the boat I then saw in build, and this was long ago, 10 years of more, much too long that she could be a #223, which came out only recently. The boatyard who built her then was the "Bootswerft Neuhaus", and if you look at it's website www.bootswerft-neuhaus.de and open the category "Letzte Arbeiten" (means last works - website update long overdue) you still can see the boat being built. And you can see a photo of her plans - she is a #109.

Or to be more precise, her plans are the #109 plans. I had spoken with the builder then and he had told me of some changes he had made. I remember that he had reduced draught and if you look carefully at the plans you can see the changed keel line. I don't remember, whether he also changed beam. But also notice from the keel line, that this #109 is not your #109, I think your #109 is a younger version.

Beside of this special model #109 it seams to me, that the more recent Pauls remakes of the Falmouth working boat are, the more beamier they become. This can be seen at the migration from Surprise I to II (#131), also in the change from #116 to #116a and others. Paul wrote me, that he found the perfomance of the type was not suffering drastically from increased beam, but that the internal appearance improves a lot. I think this is the reason why my #207 is so beamy, 3,80m, and I like it.
                                Thomas
                                panta rei

Comment

Working...