Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Default Re: Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Makes Redwing look very pedestrian. I love the detail and the finish but you have to be really disciplined in your upkeep to maintain it. I couldn't do it, I get distracted to easily.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

The first boat that caught my eye on the Friday when Jeff and I walked down for look was Isabella, a 34 foot Jay Beford junk rigged schooner owned and built by Eric (didn't ask his last name). I'd admired this boat last year when she was anchored on the Tweed.

If I had known about this design back in the 80s I probably would have built one. If I had found Annie Hill's book back then I definitely would have! It's Annie's book that inspired Eric to build Isabella.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Al G's boat wasn't included in the festival (organisers did a great job but I think there'd be lots of interest in boats like this) but she was included in OUR festival. Alex has done such a great job with this project. She's open and comfortable and is a real triumph:

Rick
    I was somewhat surprised and rather disappointed that they didn’t include her. The festival does fill up quickly and it may be that they just didn’t have room, but as it is as much about dreamers and planners and hopers as it is about general boat lovers and star gazers, I think the organisers really need to actively look for opportunities to include just this type of build into the program. It is something that other prospective builders can aspire to, the achievement shows just what can be done and having guys like Al G there to talk about his experiences is what the wooden boat world needs to inspire more to try the same.

It is wonderful to see all of the stunningly classic boats each two years, but without the new builds, the home builds, the new restorations and the innovations in the industry, I think there there’s a very real risk of the festival becoming somewhat stale.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Found this.

John Welsford

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I was somewhat surprised and rather disappointed that they didn’t include her. The festival does fill up quickly and it may be that they just didn’t have room, but as it is as much about dreamers and planners and hopers as it is about general boat lovers and star gazers, I think the organisers really need to actively look for opportunities to include just this type of build into the program. It is something that other prospective builders can aspire to, the achievement shows just what can be done and having guys like Al G there to talk about his experiences is what the wooden boat world needs to inspire more to try the same.

It is wonderful to see all of the stunningly classic boats each two years, but without the new builds, the home builds, the new restorations and the innovations in the industry, I think there there’s a very real risk of the festival becoming somewhat stale.
    I agree entirely! Well put Greg!

Rick

Did anyone get any shots of Merlin? Hugh's dad and a mate sailed/motored her down and Hugh was flying down to join them. Also pictures of Varg are very welcome!!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The first boat that caught my eye on the Friday when Jeff and I walked down for look was Isabella, a 34 foot Jay Beford junk rigged schooner owned and built by Eric (didn't ask his last name). I'd admired this boat last year when she was anchored on the Tweed.

If I had known about this design back in the 80s I probably would have built one. If I had found Annie Hill's book back then I definitely would have! It's Annie's book that inspired Eric to build Isabella.

Lots of boat for one`s time and money to be sure.

Great photos everyone , thank you.

Didn't see Merlin. See above for Varg. No Varg broadsides possible this year but, er, she hasn't changed!

Rick

I would also like to thank everyone who put up photos here. Between the lot of us we pretty much covered it, well almost.

Making Cray pots.

John Welsford

Another good clip.

John Welsford

A few more .....

Rick

A couple of cruiser owners

The venue:

Rick

This one I remember from 2013. She is planked in King BiIly pine and had bright finished topsides then. Absolutely gorgeous, even with the crazy tubular dodger. I can't recall the name. It was Apache, or Comanche or something in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A few more .....

Rick

Good photos Rick & HS.

John Welsford

He's been at lots of festivals. He used to sail around the harbour offering to take anyone for a sail - pretty good offer! The boat used to be bright finished. I think she looks good in red.

Rick

Yes, she looks excellent in red also.

Thank you for all the photos! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post

Where baggywrinkle comes from

Well, mystery solved! I'd always wondered.

Thanks, this has been my laugh of the day. And thank you to everyone for posting all the great photos.

Jeff

Thanks again for all the photos guys. Not like being there, but still. I notice an absence of blue sunbrella sail covers. I guess we wooden boat owners do just like to be different. Glad I chose an off white for my new covers, yet to be made.

Thanks for the note (copied below) Bigfella—I added a note to the post with JAMES CRAIG in it above. I couldn't remember where the ship was found, so glad to have the information. For some reason, I associated her with the Falklands, so thanks for setting it right. Of course, I know that Tasmania is part of Australia—and except for an afternoon in Sydney, it's the only part I've seen...

Bigfella's note: "Tom - a minor point, but one worth pointing out to avoid angst from the Tasmanians among us. You mention meeting the person responsible for bringing the James Craig back to Australia for restoration. She'd been sunk in Recherche Bay, which is in Tasmania (which is a treasured part of Australia). She was refloated, brought to Hobart... and then to Sydney, in NSW for restoration. Tasmanians really do get a bit funny when people don't mention that they are a part of Australia"

Bought one of these while down there. I've wanted one for a while and the price was right.

Realised on Sunday night that I might have a problem getting it on the plane in my carry on luggage, so popped it in with Jeff's cargo and he will post it up to me.
    That and a $12 bit of Huon were the only things I bought. The prices of anything else I might have wanted were off the planet. A used boat gear stall would have been nice to see.

John Welsford

Bought one of these while down there. I've wanted one for a while and the price was right.

Realised on Sunday night that I might have a problem getting it on the plane in my carry on luggage, so popped it in with Jeff's cargo and he will post it up to me.
    That and a $12 bit of Huon were the only things I bought. The prices of anything else I might have wanted were off the planet. A used boat gear stall would have been nice to see.
    There’s usually one either down where the food stalls are near the entrance to the big hall or right up the opposite end past the engines and outboards - were they not there this year?

BTW, next VMR boaties market in Brisbane is 19 March http://www.vmr.org.au
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

No, looked for one myself.
    My once was featherweight dinghy May even got a half pic, (in the foreground).

Interesting, very light, very shallow, very skitterish in the wind being blown about easily. Needs a small false keel, and easier to row backwards in the gusty conditions. But coped easily with 3 adults as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    No, looked for one myself.
    My once was featherweight dinghy May even got a half pic, (in the foreground).

Interesting, very light, very shallow, very skitterish in the wind being blown about easily. Needs a small false keel, and easier to row backwards in the gusty conditions. But coped easily with 3 adults as well.
    What have you done with it Jeff?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

There’s usually one either down where the food stalls are near the entrance to the big hall or right up the opposite end past the engines and outboards - were they not there this year?

BTW, next VMR boaties market in Brisbane is 19 March http://www.vmr.org.au

I didn't see one but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. There were some places I just didn't get to, such as the model boats. I took one look at the queue and went elsewhere. There may have been one up towards Salamanca Place.
    I'll check out the link Greg.

John Welsford

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Wow. Looks like a great show! Thanks.

What have you done with it Jeff?
    Given it to the Living Boat Trust. It was moored with the boats that they and Missions Afloat bring for people to row round the exhibition. There were two others as well. In use constantly, queues even. I got to use it for precisely the reason I bought it. It was cheap, oars, 5 new lifejackets, electric outboard, enough epoxy to build another boat. I bought the motor and a lifejacket home.
    Perfect place for it Greg. It will get a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Given it to the Living Boat Trust. It was moored with the boats that they and Missions Afloat bring for people to row round the exhibition. There were two others as well. In use constantly, queues even. I got to use it for precisely the reason I bought it. It was cheap, oars, 5 new lifejackets, electric outboard, enough epoxy to build another boat. I bought the motor and a lifejacket home.
    Perfect place for it Greg. It will get a lot of use.
    Nice idea Jeff. I hope they remember to give you first dibs next time you’re down there.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I rowed it right around into the trawler pen no worries. Nice dink.

John Welsford

I have one of those, for re stitching the back windows in my cars. A bit slow and fiddly, but it does the job OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have one of those, for re stitching the back windows in my cars. A bit slow and fiddly, but it does the job OK.
    Yeah well I'm not planning to wack up a new sail with it.

John Welsford

One thing I noticed at the festival was the depth of interest in the boats. I can appreciate the workmanship, the attention to detail such as the choice of a piece of timber for the beauty of it's grain and character. Whereas for example Jeff, Peter and Adrian took it to the deeper level of a boats history, who built it and when...the life story so to speak.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    For the land-bound among us, the foreshore at Wrest Point was a good place to check out the Parade of Sail on Friday...just a couple of minutes from the docks by bus.

My favourite, STORM BAY. From a couple of comments dropped by Ben Mendlowitz, I suspect some images of this will boat will be appearing in print!

It was a great festival this year and for me, having the chance of a lifetime to sail there as a crew member on Storm Bay, the journey there was the real highlight. That's me with the hat sitting aft port side tending to the jib sheets. We spent 15 days at sea from Westernport to Hobart with a day or two stop over at various Islands and anchorages along the way. Storm Bay was restored to how she was when built with minor changes to the height of the main cabin etc so is very much still a fishing boat. All aboard had a Tas cray pot licence and one crew is a retired fisherman who fished the waters of Bass Strait his whole career so we ate well.

Jane Kerr with the man who built her, Garry Stewart:

The Lady Kaye, built by the Lacco's as a fishing boat for the family of our crew member the fisherman, now restored as a pleasure boat:

A very nice spot to park for the night:

The one that didn't get away..... the one that did was much bigger....couldnt stop him and when i tried the dam hook straightened:

Crossing Banks Strait we reached 10 knots max and made a steady 8 to 9 knots with the 2nd reef in the main. The unforgettable experience was having to tye the cray pots down as we shipped a few waves over the bow.
    May as well have left the wet weather gear off. Here is a video on my photobucket from the crossing:
    Last edited by Hallam; 02-18-2017 at 05:42 PM.

A rather good looking cray boat moored outside Muirs .

Last edited by PeterSibley; 02-18-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Great shots Chris! It must have been a fantastic trip - Storm Bay is very beautiful!

Rick