Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Default Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Some pictures from the AWBF 2017.

Hopefully some other attendees will post pictures, too. I didn't take many...

Default Re: Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017

"Peanut"

"Isabella", a junk rigged plywood schooner.

"Duke". Very cool 1950's Tasmanian trout fishing boat.

Local indigenous grass and bark canoe. It was paddled a few k's to the festival site.

Cool old outboard engines.

All the way from Holland, I think.

Wow! About a gazzilion beautiful wooden boats on and off the water, and you've clearly set out to find a bit of ugly, and succeeded! I do hope others come along and fix up the balance a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Wow! About a gazzilion beautiful wooden boats on and off the water, and you've clearly set out to find a bit of ugly, and succeeded! I do hope others come along and fix up the balance a bit!
    Ah, well, different strokes....

You've held the mirror up for me, Phil. I honestly wasn't trying to be like that and now I'm laughing at the pics I chose to post. These were honestly the things that stood out to me as being interesting!

I’ve always found the engines and outboards quite interesting and have spent a good bit of time looking over them each time I’ve been there in the past but I’d not noticed that “TomBoy Aquajet” before, looks quite unique.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    You've held the mirror up for me, Phil. I honestly wasn't trying to be like that and now I'm laughing at the pics I chose to post. These were honestly the things that stood out to me as being interesting!
    I was being harsh, although the cabin on that first one is unforgivable. I love the musical boat, always fun, and like Larks, I always find old engines enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I was being harsh, although the cabin on that first one is unforgivable. I love the musical boat, always fun, and like Larks, I always find old engines enjoyable.
    The best thing about the cuddy on "peanut" was that the plywood was the roughest stuff you could imagine, like 40 grit sandpaper, showing through the paint! The owner was there whenever I walked past, waxing lyrical to the crowd and firing up the old 4 horse deisle, spitting sooty exhaust on anyone standing too close. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I’ve always found the engines and outboards quite interesting and have spent a good bit of time looking over them each time I’ve been there in the past but I’d not noticed that “TomBoy Aquajet” before, looks quite unique.
    Aquajet is very unusual. I like the huge flywheel/starter crank on the 1912 evinrude with the tin can air filter.

They're great Al! But how do we get to see your houseboat? I like the different boats too but don't always photograph them. Many of the boats I tend to photograph have been to plenty of festivals and been posted here many times already. I've got a few photos that I'll post here anyway, though.

Rick

Here are a few photos of BRITANNIA, the 18-footer —*with 3,000 sq ft of sail.

DARCE, a Couta boat.

From the Dutch contingent (of which the music boat above is another):

Tjotters

The 16 square meter built by Dutch apprentices from Bert Van Baar's school in The Netherlands. She was auctioned off Sunday afternoon. Bert tells me that this is the second-most numerous type in Holland, after the Lightning class. The 16m2 rules require wood construction, and something like 20,000 of them are sailing. This boat was built with celery top pine from Hydro Wood, which specializes in recovering submerged old logs, which are in perfect condition. (See http://hydrowood.com.au).

Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Boat above built by one of the old engine blokes who "doesn't know much about boats".

Here and there around the docks. (I'll add details as I have time to enter them.)

This is GYPSY maneuvering into the dock. The subject of a WoodenBoat article by Australian writer Bruce Stannard (WB No. 252), she is owned now by Steve Knight, the Australian Wooden Boat Festival chairman, and she has been in his family for more than 100 years.

And speaking of Bruce Stannard, here is the man himself, aboard the 8-Meter VARG, which was a subject of his writing in WB No. 239. VARG is owned by Kraig Carlstrom, whose photos have illustrated Bruce's articles on numerous occasions, most recently for the article about Tasmania's Piner's Punts in WB No. 253. Kraig is taking VARG to the 8-Meter Worlds in Norway this year, for racing off Oslo. King Olav V's wooden 8-Meter SIRA will be there. WoodenBoat has an article coming up about the 8-Meter renaissance on Lake Ontario, which the SIRA Cup helped rekindle for classic boats that have been racing on the Lake since 1930.

Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Here and there on the docks:

LATURA is a 1924 William Hand-designed, raised-foredeck cruiser,

Her engine box is quite a sculpture, using bookmatched and highly figured Huon pine to advantage:

This Ben Sullivan's NYORA. Funny story about this one: I sent photos back to WoodenBoat via Facebook, and Jon Wilson spotted it as a Gordon Munro design, not Commodore Munroe as had been shown on the information card. He had Pat Lown in our library send me a PDF version of a 1928 Yachting magazine article about the boat, or one very similar to it, which I transferred to a thumb drive for Ben within hours of first sending the photo. The Munro article showed a gaff rig, but Ben says NYORA has always been marconi-rigged. The interior is different from the one Munro showed, too, but the hull form is very similar. He's compiling historical information, especially about former owners, and the sons of two former owners visited him on board the boat on Saturday.

Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-12-2017 at 01:39 PM.

This is Ned Trewartha (right) and his son, Tom, setting up to steam-bend frames into a 10' dinghy.

It's hard to look at FIDELIS without thinking of Steve White, proprietor at Brooklin Boat Yard. His VORTEX was one of the first cold-molded yachts (maybe the first) built at the yard, and he has raced her extensively. FIDELIS is by the same designer, Knud Reimers.

Sitting in Hobart airport departure waiting for my flight out and back into the heat. Missing the place already. I'll get some pictures up tonight.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I played hookie on Friday for a while to check out the session at the New Sydney pub on Bathurst Street, a few blocks up from the festival site. About 20 musicians were there, and I knew almost all of the tunes—made me want to bring my fiddle along should I be so fortunate as to come to Tasmania again!
    Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Tom, thanks for the great photos and the really interesting commentary on each. Also thanks for the link to the Hydrowood site, I’d heard of them somewhere else but hadn’t followed up before forgetting about them and your reminder is particularly timely for me.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    They're great Al! But how do we get to see your houseboat? I like the different boats too but don't always photograph them. Many of the boats I tend to photograph have been to plenty of festivals and been posted here many times already. I've got a few photos that I'll post here anyway, though.

Rick
    Hi rick. I'm free today and tomorrow arvo. I emailed you on Saturday to try and arrange a catch up at the festival. Pm me your number if you'd like to see virupaksha. Otherwise enjoy the rest of your stay in Tas. Happy travels.

First, a rainbow, which brightened the afternoon yesterday during very high winds and a little bit of cleansing rain.

And now, back to boats! This is MALLANA, a double-planked ketch built by Fred Moores in Tasmania in 1907, 43' LOA. An amazing number of boats in the Hobart festival are 100 years old or older—some of them quite a lot older. MALLANA caught by eye because I am drawn to double-enders, and of course her sheer is just right.

Rounded trunk cabins were common in the early 20th century, used by B.B. Crowninshield, among others.

Her foredeck gear is in great shape. I love the use of kevel cleats, like the one mounted on the starboard bulwark. I used kevels on my own boat. Very simple, and effective.

I love the leathering on the bowsprit, and the parrels on the traveller ring. Very seamanlike.

And here she is from across the way:
    Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-12-2017 at 05:29 PM.

I was lucky enough to crew mallana in the ketch race yesterday with a crack squad of former duyfken, soren and endeavour skippers! And me with no sailing experience, whatever! It was awesome!

On Friday, I went out as a guest on HOLGER DANSKE, the K. Aage Nielsen 42' double-ender of 1964, and the light air was probably merciful given the number of boats out. This was the "grand arrival" sail, and many of the boats were coming into the festival for their arrival as the sail ended, being careful not to outpace the Tasmanian governor's boat, which would be considered bad form but also "very Australian" according to one shipmate.

Because we weren't terribly close, I know only a little about the boats shown here—so maybe some of the Australian friends can kick in on these.

The boat at center I first thought was an 18-footer, like BRITANNIA, but it was not. Still, the enormous sail area is reminiscent of the 18s and Couta boats.

Here is a Lyle Hess 24' cutter, looking fine, a type known all over the world largely because of the exploits of Lin and Larry Pardey. Lin was a housemate of mine during the festival, but only Sunday night (her last), did we have much chance to talk. The Pardeys sailed into WoodenBoat some years ago.

The sailing vessel here is OLIVE MAY, a very old working craft. She was restored at Dean Marks's yard in Franklin—last festival, she was in the yard still. So it was a pleasure to see her sailing this time. She is an unusual combination of lapstrake (clinker as they say here) topsides and battem-seam lower hull planking. She runs tours on the Franklin River.
    The large powerboat, Scottish in origin and heavily built, caught Jon Wilson's eye. Alas, I could never find her in the festival, and she may not have been registered. Just my luck not to be able to get the boss the information he was looking for....

Here is a Derwent Class sloop, a racing type that has been active on the Derwent river off Hobart for many decades. Behind her is JAMES CRAIG, the wrought-iron, rivetted Cape Horn square rigger. On Saturday night, at a reception, I met the man who found her and initiated her restoration. Update: Someone below informed me she was found in Australia, which I had forgotten—for some reason I associated her with the Falklands. In any case, she was a one of the great rescue and restoration stories. I went aboard, and she is looking great.

I admire this boat, but I don't know much about it. Australians, to the rescue if you please.... Update: They sailed by on the way out on Monday, and I learned that she was designed and built by her owner. Didn't get the name....

Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-14-2017 at 04:40 PM.

SMOKY CAPE is a double-ender built in 1973 for marine artist Jack Earl, who co-founded the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race and circumnavigated (not in this boat) in the late 1940s. The boat is 23'9" LOA, cold molded to a design by Len Randell.

Here's a look at SMOKY CAPE's unusual tiller, which I this is an elegant solution to the yawl steering problem. Rather than a swoopy lamination or complicated gear, the curved metal frame allows the tiller to swing as a normal tiller would. The ends of the frame no doubt provide positive stops to the swing of the tiller, which can be a good thing to prevent oversteering. The feel of the helm would be undistinguishable from regular tiller steering, which I think provides the best "feel" at the helm.

This yacht is BRITANNIA (not to be confused with the racing 18footer, obviously). Her information is in the next slide following this one.

Tom, if you have any more pics of Smoky Cape I'd love to see them please.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

JANE KERR is a 49', 1981 crayfishing boat, and a fine looking one. She was designed by Ken Lacco and built by Garry Stewart in Victoria to double as a working boat but also with the potential for cruising. These days, she is no longer fishing. Like so many workboats, she has a beauty in her own right, one born of her suitability for her purpose. Boats like these, proven by sea time, influence the design and construction of other boats, far beyond their original purpose. In Tasmania, as in Puget Sound or Maine, the workboats have been looked at by seasoned sailors to inform their own choices. The trollers of the Inside Passage, the lobsterboats of Maine, the crayfish boats of Tasmania—all carry on the tradition of transferring proven types for anyone who spends time at sea for whatever purpose.

Ned Trewartha's traditionally crafted copy of "Mrs. Wilson's Dinghy" is a complex small boat, beautifully crafted, and has a great story behind it.

The boat is 12'1" LOA, and the original was built by Walter Paisley, who had been an inmate at Point Puer prison for boys. The boat was given to Dinah and John Wilson as a wedding present in 1872. Ned called the boat a "little ship," difficult to build. Like several other boats in the Hobart fleet, such as TERRA LINNA and BRITANNIA, she uses a combination of batten-seam and lapstrake construction. Only the top two planks are lapstrake. The difference is clearly visible here: the varnished area is lapstrake, the painted area batten-seam, seen of course from the inside. In looking at Trewartha's work, it pays best to look at the details.

I'm afraid that's all I've got—there wasn't a good way to move around her.