Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Ever built a Hookah?

Default Re: Ever built a Hookah?

I picked up a used scuba wetsuit today. Top and bottom, 5mm only lightly used. $60.00. Might need some more weights for my weight belt, seems like it's got a lot of buoyancy. Winter is well on the way and the water will be cooling down.

My reading tells me you don't tend to need a bcd with a hookah, as you don't have variable tank bouyancy. I wore a belt with 3 weights on my first trial, just neutral bouyancy with my lightweight wetsuit. Seemed to work well.

I also read that there is a difference between scuba second stage regulators and hookah regulators. The one I got is a hookah regulator, so all good there. There's a difference in the internals apparently, which can mean a scuba reg used on a hookah will stop giving air at a certain depth. Unnerving I imagine.

A BCD would be completely useless with a hookah.

Your buoyancy decreases as you go deeper. So, if you're neutral on the surface then you're going to be negative at a few metres down. So, firstly, make sure you can dump weight easily and quickly. Secondly, add weight bit by bit to see what you can work with. You want to be buoyant on the surface. You will need a lot of weight to be neutral at 3m.

In Tasmania, a lot of guys use hookahs to dive for crays and abalone. It would be worth talking to a shop there to see what they use. A manually inflatable PFD might be a good idea, I don't know ....

Rick

Good idea, thanks Rick. I think you mentioned you dived under Masina with a hookah the other day, what did you use?

Not a hookah, a tank. I've dived under Masina with a hookah before. Just a surfing wetsuit and two regular dive weights. With a tank and surfing wetsuit, I don't need any weights. With a dry suit I need stacks of weights. No wetsuit needed here still

Rick

Phil, now that you seem to have your hookah sorted, I reckon you ought to put a plastic storage tank on the line. There are two reasons to do it. Firstly, it will store the air you don't breathe in, instead of pressurizing the hose or overworking the switch on the compressor. Secondly, it'll hold the line up so it's not falling all over you. I'd make it out of PVC pipe with ends glued on.

Rick

Oh, that's right, your compressor already has a tank! I've been looking at 12v compressors without tanks.

Rick

The line seems to float a bit anyway. Gets a bit messy though, particularly between the boat and the berth. I think my next addition will be a hose reel to keep any twist out of the hose and make storage and deployment easier.

There are 12v compressors available that supply air to big fish tanks/aquariums. I'm wondering whether those might be truly oil-free.

When I tried my friend's commercial hookah, the regulator was faulty. I ended up finding a bit of the valve missing - it could so easily have been breathed in and caused choking. I put a dive regulator on his system as a `thanks'. It worked well when I took it down to about 8m. If I build a hookah, I think I'll use a spare dive regulator.

The other approach I'm considering is just getting a small, aluminium tank that I can leave on the boat with basic scuba gear. I can get a couple of hours out of a regular dive tank at shallow depth.

Rick

Phil, depending on how much hose you have, one way to keep it from tangling on the surface is to rig up a line with a weight on the other end through a pulley tied to your boom swung out over the side a bit (or any stick/pole/jinker pole/outrigger hung off a halyard or something that you might care to use). It’s a bit hard to explain but it’s just a counter weight like a sash window (or something???) - the weight is just enough to keep the hose back a bit from tangling but not so heavy that it gives you the shytes pulling on it.

(does that make any sense at all??)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There are 12v compressors available that supply air to big fish tanks/aquariums. I'm wondering whether those might be truly oil-free.

When I tried my friend's commercial hookah, the regulator was faulty. I ended up finding a bit of the valve missing - it could so easily have been breathed in and caused choking. I put a dive regulator on his system as a `thanks'. It worked well when I took it down to about 8m. If I build a hookah, I think I'll use a spare dive regulator.

The other approach I'm considering is just getting a small, aluminium tank that I can leave on the boat with basic scuba gear. I can get a couple of hours out of a regular dive tank at shallow depth.

Rick
    I did read somewhere that a dive regulator is not a good thing on a hookah setup. Didn't understand the detail, but it seemed to be important. My hookah regulator cost $28 or something like that. Seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Phil, depending on how much hose you have, one way to keep it from tangling on the surface is to rig up a line with a weight on the other end through a pulley tied to your boom swung out over the side a bit (or any stick/pole/jinker pole/outrigger hung off a halyard or something that you might care to use). It’s a bit hard to explain but it’s just a counter weight like a sash window (or something???) - the weight is just enough to keep the hose back a bit from tangling but not so heavy that it gives you the shytes pulling on it.

(does that make any sense at all??)
    Hmm, no. I wish I could picture it, sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm thinking hose running from the compressor on deck out to a block on the end of the boom & then down to you diving. Put a weight on the hose about halfway between the compressor & block so it hangs down in a U. That way the line would be coming straight to you with no kinks.

Then again, I may be completely wrong!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I think it's a good idea.

Rick

I’ll see if I can come up with a sketch - it’s not that complex or clever but it does work, 'just need to adjust the line holding the hose to suit how much area you’ll cover.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I had to do this when working on the slipway rails in the marina by myself in Darwin as the hose was always tangling under the dock pylons. We had a gantry for lifting masts in and out and I used the boom of that swung out. If it wasn’t windy I’d just let it swing so that it moved around with me, but if it was windy it’d be a pain in the neck so I’d have to tie it off. It helped to only put enough hose in the water as I’d need and leave the rest coiled at the tanks, it may pay you to cut yours short to only the length you need to do the boat and keep your compressor amidships to minimise the amount of hose in the water (if you haven’t already).

Also Phil, whether you use something like this or not, run your hose through your belt and use a velcro loop or gaffer tape or something to hold it in place from sliding back and forward or in and out, otherwise you’ll bite your mouthpiece off moving around and trying to move the hose with it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Robb View Post
    The depth is easily in the range of breath holding dives while snorkeling.
    Now if I don't dive to 30 metres and hold my breath while I surface as fast as I can, I think we may be in business.
    This is where most non-SCUBA divers mess up. "I'm only going down 3 m, I do that all the time while snorkeling"

What they forget is that at those 3 m they're breathing compressed air, when you surface with full lungs after snorkeling, your lungs contain 1 lungful. No problem.
    When you surface with full lungs at 3m you suddenly have have 1.3 lungfuls. roughly about a third more air.
    Even a 1 m difference is 10% more air. At 10 m, 2 lungfuls. The alveoli will damage before you feel the pressure mount and be aware of a need to exhale.

Lungs are delicate structures, designed to be able to collapse as we breathe.
    There was no design criteria that they also should have elasticity to expand...

The majority of snorklers I've met never exhale while surfacing, those that do has inevitable been SCUBA divers.
    My own hookah rig was a 2X12L 300BAR tank with 15 m of hose and I think I used it a handful of times before I used the parts as spares, I much prefer to be untethered while working.

Phil, you could (if you ever felt the need or inclination) probably run a second hose off of a Y valve and drag an air sander/polisher down there with you to help you with the cleaning.
    You NEVER want to have something else connected to your breathing hose!
    Air goes the route of least resistance and you might also find out about the venturi effect where the sander, using so much air, will suck the air from your breathing hose.
    Besides, how many CFM will the sander use? Somewhere around 15 approx. And at depth?

Try out your hookah, but be aware about it's limitations and stay safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Good advice Ryden,
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    This is where most non-SCUBA divers mess up. "I'm only going down 3 m, I do that all the time while snorkeling"

What they forget is that at those 3 m they're breathing compressed air, when you surface with full lungs after snorkeling, your lungs contain 1 lungful. No problem.
    When you surface with full lungs at 3m you suddenly have have 1.3 lungfuls. roughly about a third more air.
    Even a 1 m difference is 10% more air. At 10 m, 2 lungfuls. The alveoli will damage before you feel the pressure mount and be aware of a need to exhale.

Lungs are delicate structures, designed to be able to collapse as we breathe.
    There was no design criteria that they also should have elasticity to expand...

The majority of snorklers I've met never exhale while surfacing, those that do has inevitable been SCUBA divers.
    My own hookah rig was a 2X12L 300BAR tank with 15 m of hose and I think I used it a handful of times before I used the parts as spares, I much prefer to be untethered while working.

You NEVER want to have something else connected to your breathing hose!
    Air goes the route of least resistance and you might also find out about the venturi effect where the sander, using so much air, will suck the air from your breathing hose.
    Besides, how many CFM will the sander use? Somewhere around 15 approx. And at depth?

Try out your hookah, but be aware about it's limitations and stay safe!
    Thanks Ryden. I understand you can mess up your lungs surfacing from as little as a metre or two if you fail to exhale. I can't quite see a Venturi effect happening, but not really planning on attaching an air tool anyway.

Phil, you could (if you ever felt the need or inclination) probably run a second hose off of a Y valve and drag an air sander/polisher down there with you to help you with the cleaning.

will suck the air from your breathing hose.
    Which is why you’d run a second hose. It depends on the compressor, but I ran a second hose off the tank a number of times for the likes of air hammers and air wrenches and never had any reduction of breathing air.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Which is why you’d run a second hose. It depends on the compressor, but I ran a second hose off the tank a number of times for the likes of air hammers and air wrenches and never had any reduction of breathing air.
    True, I misread that. It's when you fork out at depth you get all the problems. Typical scenario is if you attach two regs to one hose, if one diver then goes up that reg will starve the lower reg. Especially if it free flows for some reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Yes, my research and a little common sense tells me a Y fitting is a bad idea.

Yes, my research and a little common sense tells me a Y fitting is a bad idea.

Not at all, very common with tanks really - but with the compressor it’d depend on the output.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary