Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever built a Hookah?

Default Ever built a Hookah?

Just wondering if anyone has built a hookah system for diving under the boat, hull cleaning etc? Good quality off the shelf ones seem to run into the thousands. Cheap ones probably don't provide enough air to do anything but glide around looking at fish in shallow water. There seem to be two approaches at the breathing end, one is just a snorkel which releases any excess air, the other is a stage two SCUBA regulator.

I dont know know anything about SCUBA diving, just done a couple of resort dives. Breathe out on the way up and don't rise faster than your bubbles.

Use an oil less compressor and food grade or proper dive hose.

Thatsts about as much as I know at this stage. But yes I'm planning to put something together.

Default Re: Ever built a Hookah?

I’ve used a number of different hookah systems over the years for commercial diving - for diving under your hull to clean it or do any shallow work I recommend a simple tank on the deck, long hose and regulator arrangement, rather than a compressor.

I’ve used this with both regular scuba tanks and, at Paspaley pearls, two larger domestic gas bottle sized tanks working down at about 20 metres doing recovery and mooring jobs.

It’s simple, works perfectly, doesn’t require servicing other than periodic tank compliance testing, is nice and quiet and won’t turn off on you if you don’t have someone tending it. You just need to be aware of how full your tank is when you go down and time yourself accordingly, though if you’re only under the hull it doesn’t really matter if you run dry anyway.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

What's the advantage of keeping the tank on the deck, Greg? I guess in warm water, it means you dive without the weight of the tank, but in cooler water, the weight of the tank is needed. Phil would also need to be qualified to get tanks filled.

I've been wondering about rigging something up, too.

Rick

I had to check what catagory this was in the forum before i made any comments about smoking implements and certain ladies.......but this sound interesting too.....carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What's the advantage of keeping the tank on the deck, Greg? I guess in warm water, it means you dive without the weight of the tank, but in cooler water, the weight of the tank is needed. Phil would also need to be qualified to get tanks filled.

I've been wondering about rigging something up, too.

Rick
    leaving the tank on deck allows you to dive with just whatever weights you need to stabilise in the water at the depth you are working - it’s as good as free diving as you’ll get and when you’re working under water the less restrictions in way of gear that you have the better.

Re getting qualified - I’d strongly advise anyone diving on anything resembling a hookah to do a dive course and get qualified anyway. The point of getting a qualification isn’t to police who fills a tank, it is to teach divers how to stay safe under water on a supplied air system - be it tank or hookah.

I am surprised that it is considered OK to sell a hookah dive system to an unqualified diver but not OK to fill a dive tank for someone when dive tanks are regularly used for purposes other than scuba diving.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Some fancy the notion of taking a shop compressor and making their own for cheap. Air that's been through a compressor with normal grease, like for driving tools, will kill you.

Greg, I was hoping you'd chime in as I know you have lots of dive experience. I'd prefer a compressor system just for the freedom of not having to get a tank filled and having to lug it about. And cost. And convenience. Unlimited air vs a single tank. At 50 feet and with twin keels Balia has quite a lot of bottom.

I'm not dive certified, but agree it's worthwhile. I think there is risk in even doing shallow work, and of course with a 20 metre or whatever hose there's always going to be that time when I want to check that the anchor really has set, or there's something I want to look at a bit deeper than the keel, or whatever. It just seems naive to think I'm only ever going to go as deep as the keel.

Ian, yes, it has to be an oil free diaphragm compressor. It happens I've picked up an old Thomas compressor for next to nothing. I think they are commonly used to drive dentist tools and for air brushing and are something of an industry standard for hookahs so I'm happy with that. It runs on mains power, which I have in my slip, or I can run a generator. I know it's good to keep the generator exhaust away from the compressor intake.

So I'm looking to add some hose and a snorkel or regulator to that, and good to go.

I see the cheap eBay hookahs just use a snorkel as a regulator. I can see how that would work, but imagine the constant stream of waste air might be annoying. I also see cheap second stage regulators on eBay, like $30. Are they any good for this application, or is it OK to get a used one and get it serviced, or should I get a new one? I hardly ever buy anything new-it will be used as soon as I've had it for a year or two anyway so what's the point?

The searching I have done on the webs says it is pretty easy to make a safe and functional hookah, better than the cheap eBay ones. Every thread I have come across quickly falls victim to the SCUBA experts foretelling death and destruction. Hoping to find someone with real life experience of making their own. I don't know, maybe everyone who has ever tried it is dead, but I seem to doubt that.

I found this, which pretty much reflects my plan except my compressor doesn't have an accumulator tank. From what I've found elsewhere that is unlikely to matter, unless the air supply pulses too much as a result. If it does, it seems easy enough to add a small tank in the line close to the compressor. I am encouraged, sufficiently so that I have ordered some breathing hose and a cheap stage 2 regulator on fleabay

http://www.oceannavigator.com/Novemb...h-dive-system/

This thread does not reflect my current requirements.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Greg, I was hoping you'd chime in as I know you have lots of dive experience. I'd prefer a compressor system just for the freedom of not having to get a tank filled and having to lug it about. And cost. And convenience. Unlimited air vs a single tank. At 50 feet and with twin keels Balia has quite a lot of bottom.

I'm not dive certified, but agree it's worthwhile. I think there is risk in even doing shallow work, and of course with a 20 metre or whatever hose there's always going to be that time when I want to check that the anchor really has set, or there's something I want to look at a bit deeper than the keel, or whatever. It just seems naive to think I'm only ever going to go as deep as the keel.

Ian, yes, it has to be an oil free diaphragm compressor. It happens I've picked up an old Thomas compressor for next to nothing. I think they are commonly used to drive dentist tools and for air brushing and are something of an industry standard for hookahs so I'm happy with that. It runs on mains power, which I have in my slip, or I can run a generator. I know it's good to keep the generator exhaust away from the compressor intake.

So I'm looking to add some hose and a snorkel or regulator to that, and good to go.

I see the cheap eBay hookahs just use a snorkel as a regulator. I can see how that would work, but imagine the constant stream of waste air might be annoying. I also see cheap second stage regulators on eBay, like $30. Are they any good for this application, or is it OK to get a used one and get it serviced, or should I get a new one? I hardly ever buy anything new-it will be used as soon as I've had it for a year or two anyway so what's the point?

The searching I have done on the webs says it is pretty easy to make a safe and functional hookah, better than the cheap eBay ones. Every thread I have come across quickly falls victim to the SCUBA experts foretelling death and destruction. Hoping to find someone with real life experience of making their own. I don't know, maybe everyone who has ever tried it is dead, but I seem to doubt that.
    Personally I don’t think you can achieve both with the one setup. I agree that you’d empty a tank or two before cleaning the full underside of Balia, it’s not just diving it’s work and instead of getting up to 50 minutes from a tank on a leisurely dive, when you’re working you’d likely be down to 30-35 minutes. So a hookah setup would certainly be more convenient, but I’m guessing most times you’d not have anyone tending it when you’re under the boat and if a line comes loose or tangled or kinked or the compressor loses power.......so although working under the boat would seem safe enough I wouldn’t be too keen on using it any deeper.

Having been at the business end of a fully serviced and tended commercial hookah at 20 metres when it “stumbled” and scared the living shyte out of me - I’d be buggered if I’d go below a resurfacing depth on one (i.e. a depth where I can surface easily without panicking for a breath) especially without someone tending it. For me that’d probably be about 8, maybe 10 metres max', as I really can’t hold my breath for long and I wouldn’t want to be screaming up from anything below that anyway.

That’s pretty much why we used the tanks for diving when I was at Paspaley’s - I can’t recall what size they were but I vaguely remember working on about 4 to 5 hours “working” air time from one tank. But even with them, I would never go down without someone tending the line.

Re using a standard compressor for diving, (and as a story, not a suggestion) when they used to confiscate and burn the illegal fishing and trepang boats up here in Darwin, a couple of guys I knew of used to sneak out to them the day before they’d be burnt to strip off anything useful that’d otherwise just be destroyed. Very illegal and I had nothing to do with it, but I saw a bunch of compressors that they’d acquired and they were basic Chinese compressors with a couple of filters shoved in line to “try” and filter the atomised oil. I have no idea how successful they would have been but the same set up was on each of the compressors.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

There’s a reason for that Phil, I really wouldn’t ignore it. I don’t have "real life experience making my own" but I do have real life commercial dive experience and that experience is why I would not make my own.

This may be worth your reading: http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/wp-conten...h-article-.pdf

I’m not suggesting give up on the hookah idea for cleaning the boat - but I do suggest that you head the advice on servicing and maintaining clean air and I sincerely urge that you do not ever succumb to the temptation to use it to go below snorkelling depth.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    There’s a reason for that Phil, I really wouldn’t ignore it. I don’t have "real life experience making my own" but I do have real life commercial dive experience and that experience is why I would not make my own.

This may be worth your reading: http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/wp-conten...h-article-.pdf

I’m not suggesting give up on the hookah idea for cleaning the boat - but I do suggest that you head the advice on servicing and maintaining clean air and I sincerely urge that you do not ever succumb to the temptation to use it to go below snorkelling depth.
    Thats a really good article Greg, thanks. A welcome relief from the chest beating I've seen on most forum threads on the topic. (Other forums, not the WBF)

Much, but not all, of the risk obviously arises out of deeper diving than hull cleaning. I do note that an embolism is possible, if rare, diving as shallow as 2m.

My meanderings have now identified a completely different problem. Seems like it's actually illegal to scrub your boat in the water in Autralia or New Zealand. Well, it can be done with a permit, but permits won't be granted. That's pretty much what the guidelines actually say. And of course it just takes one busy body vigilante in a crowded marina surrounded by housing to get caught on that one.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 02-11-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Illegal to scrub, particularly for commercial vessels, but supposedly not so illegal to go around once in a while and wipe your bum with a sponge for speed and fuel efficiency - as most race boats do.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Illegal to scrub, particularly for commercial vessels, but supposedly not so illegal to go around once in a while and wipe your bum with a sponge for speed and fuel efficiency - as most race boats do.
    Mine needs a bit more than a wipe at the moment, but yes, that seems to be the case in practice at least. If I get away with that first cleanup it's probably OK from there on. The guidelines make for some bizarre reading though.

I pretty much agree with everything Greg says on this. Persinally, though, I'd rather dive with a tank than dive with a tank on deck or a hookah. But I've done a lot of tank diving and not a lot of hookah diving. I would like a hookah system to keep on the boat but I suspect Greg's right that if it's not a profesionally built system, it's just too risky.

I think I'll stick with tanks.

Rickp

Personally I don’t think you can achieve both with the one setup. I agree that you’d empty a tank or two before cleaning the full underside of Balia, it’s not just diving it’s work and instead of getting up to 50 minutes from a tank on a leisurely dive, when you’re working you’d likely be down to 30-35 minutes. So a hookah setup would certainly be more convenient, but I’m guessing most times you’d not have anyone tending it when you’re under the boat and if a line comes loose or tangled or kinked or the compressor loses power.......so although working under the boat would seem safe enough I wouldn’t be too keen on using it any deeper.

Having been at the business end of a fully serviced and tended commercial hookah at 20 metres when it “stumbled” and scared the living shyte out of me - I’d be buggered if I’d go below a resurfacing depth on one (i.e. a depth where I can surface easily without panicking for a breath) especially without someone tending it. For me that’d probably be about 8, maybe 10 metres max', as I really can’t hold my breath for long and I wouldn’t want to be screaming up from anything below that anyway.

That’s pretty much why we used the tanks for diving when I was at Paspaley’s - I can’t recall what size they were but I vaguely remember working on about 4 to 5 hours “working” air time from one tank. But even with them, I would never go down without someone tending the line.

Re using a standard compressor for diving, (and as a story, not a suggestion) when they used to confiscate and burn the illegal fishing and trepang boats up here in Darwin, a couple of guys I knew of used to sneak out to them the day before they’d be burnt to strip off anything useful that’d otherwise just be destroyed. Very illegal and I had nothing to do with it, but I saw a bunch of compressors that they’d acquired and they were basic Chinese compressors with a couple of filters shoved in line to “try” and filter the atomised oil. I have no idea how successful they would have been but the same set up was on each of the compressors.
    A scuba course will cover what to do if your air fails. It will teach you about buddy breathing and so forth.
    Will

Just wondering if anyone has built a hookah system for diving under the boat, hull cleaning etc? Good quality off the shelf ones seem to run into the thousands. Cheap ones probably don't provide enough air to do anything but glide around looking at fish in shallow water. There seem to be two approaches at the breathing end, one is just a snorkel which releases any excess air, the other is a stage two SCUBA regulator.

I dont know know anything about SCUBA diving, just done a couple of resort dives. Breathe out on the way up and don't rise faster than your bubbles.

Use an oil less compressor and food grade or proper dive hose.

Thatsts about as much as I know at this stage. But yes I'm planning to put something together.
    No, I haven't.
    How big is this boat?
    I'd recommend scuba gear.
    You'll get 30 - 60 min from one 80 cubic foot tank depending on your work load.
    But if you don't have a dive card, no one is going to rent you gear.
    Tidal dry-dock perhaps?
    Home made hookah really not a good idea.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    A scuba course will cover what to do if your air fails. It will teach you about buddy breathing and so forth.
    That’s a rather simplistic response in so many ways Will, it supposes that you are diving with a buddy AND supposes you are on SCUBA not Hookah AND supposes that both you and your buddy are very experienced and competent divers who do not panic when one runs out of air and wants to take the regulator out of the others mouth OR that your buddy has an octopus with a functional regulator AND supposes that your buddy has plenty of air in his tank sufficient to get you both to the surface safely AND supposes that your buddy is right beside you and not just off in visual range emotionally engaged with a nudibranch.....

Even in a controlled environment and with plenty of air in their own tanks, when I’ve run qualified recreational divers through buddy breathing drills there’s inevitably at least one person who will panic and either reef the regulator out of their buddy’s mouth without the buddy having had the chance to take a breath and settle, or resort back to their own regulator while waiting for their buddy to hand their reg over.

If your air fails at depth without a buddy you are pretty much out of options unless you carry something like a Spare air at about $500 a pop. Worth while for commercial diving where you are most likely diving alone or for regular scuba divers, but a big spend for a casual diver or someone wanting something to clean their hull.

Phil, this set up might just about get you enough air to clean Balia from one end to the other:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Looks like the shot Greg! And I think illustrates why a lot of people prefer a Hookah for boat work. Tanks are heavy until you are in the water, cumbersome, a bother to fill. A floaty hose trailing behind you is much easier to work with.

I'm not thinking there will be much call for buddy breathing. Balia is a 50 foot boat boat with just under 6 feet draft. A fair bit of bottom to clean and as you say, likely more than one tank worth. If the hookah stops working there won't be a lot of drama in getting to the surface, even if I'm down between the twin keels and have just exhaled. I might have to gather my wits, go 15 feet horizontal and 5 feet vertical. I think it would be worth doing some practice drills though. Pull the mouthpiece out and surface safely. Breathe out, go slower than my bubbles. So when it happens for real it won't be my first try.

I do think a home made hookah can/will be every bit as reliable as a commercially produced one. This is not about staying at depth all day. 2 metres max, in reality up and down and several rest periods, total of a couple of hours all up. I do think I will do a scuba course. Worth dong and should have done ages ago anyway. I must be about the only white male who has lived in Papua New Guinea for 5 years all up without doing a course! Truly one of the best places for diving in the world.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments.

PNG is fantastic for diving. I averaged about 6 dives a week while I was there for 2 years. But Adelaide isn't PNG. You'll be diving with a wetsuit and you'll need a lot of weight to stay down and be comfortable cleaning that big hull. You'll be a lot more comfortable if you can control your buoyancy with a buoyancy control device (BCD), and a lot safer.

You can't do that with a hookah. You could do it with Greg's system and dual hoses, but it'd be easier with a tank.
    Rick

Tru dat. Just an improvement on snorkelling will see me happy.

That’s a rather simplistic response in so many ways Will, it supposes that you are diving with a buddy AND supposes you are on SCUBA not Hookah AND supposes that both you and your buddy are very experienced and competent divers who do not panic when one runs out of air and wants to take the regulator out of the others mouth OR that your buddy has an octopus with a functional regulator AND supposes that your buddy has plenty of air in his tank sufficient to get you both to the surface safely AND supposes that your buddy is right beside you and not just off in visual range emotionally engaged with a nudibranch.....

Even in a controlled environment and with plenty of air in their own tanks, when I’ve run qualified recreational divers through buddy breathing drills there’s inevitably at least one person who will panic and either reef the regulator out of their buddy’s mouth without the buddy having had the chance to take a breath and settle, or resort back to their own regulator while waiting for their buddy to hand their reg over.

If your air fails at depth without a buddy you are pretty much out of options unless you carry something like a Spare air at about $500 a pop. Worth while for commercial diving where you are most likely diving alone or for regular scuba divers, but a big spend for a casual diver or someone wanting something to clean their hull.

Phil, this set up might just about get you enough air to clean Balia from one end to the other:

I took SCUBA diving through PADI in the early 1990s and dived for a couple of years. I really enjoyed it. During the classes it was drilled into me to dive with a buddy. I practiced buddy breathing, emergency ascent if the air failed me and all the other things I needed to know to stay safe. I also limited myself to recreational diving.

Simplistic or not I would not consider using a hookah until I took at least the basic and advanced SCUBA courses. I don't consider it worth the risk to health or life otherwise.
    Will

All this certification/buddy diving sounds like it misses the point of the original question.
    He's just going under his hull to scrub it, not sport diving. A diaphram compressor isn't pumping oil into your lungs. The depth is easily in the range of breath holding dives while snorkeling. We, summer lifegards, used to scrub the bottom of our local pool (12' max) with an old diaphram paint compressor, a hose clenched in your teeth, and a small weight belt. If anything failed, swimming up to the surface was was simple. Crude? Sure, but it worked fine. Would PADI, or any other certifying group, look askance at it? Equally sure. Did we care? No. Would I, NAUI open water certified, use it do dive in the open ocean to decompression depths? Hell, no!
    I think we sometimes get our shorts in a knot over safety too readily.
    YRMV
    Last edited by Tom Robb; 02-13-2017 at 04:30 PM.

I take UW photos so almost never dive with a buddy - who could stand it? I agree that OHS stuff has gone way too far in many ways. But, under a big boat, in cold water, at a marina, spending (potentially) a lot of time down, is trickier than people who haven't done it, think it is. Okay, you can duck down until you're shaking so hard you can't hold the scraper, and then go again, etc. But it isn't much fun. To stay down longer, you need warmth and air. With warmth you need weight. Having cleaned the hull of my boat in water a lot warmer than Adelaide's water, with a snorkel, with a hookah and with a tank, I prefer the tank. I haven't tried Greg's tank on deck method but I might if I can rig up a long enough hose. Even in shallow water, anyone diving with compressed air should get trained. Most diving deaths occur in shallow water.

As far as the home-made hookah thing goes, I'd go for that if it's true that it's easy enough to set up good, clean air. I don't know anything about compressors so I need to find out more. I do wonder why the hookahs available for sale are soooooo expensive.

Rick

I had one once, a little diaphragm compressor mounted to a petrol engine, a small in line accumulator, hose and regulator. I used it to about 30 foot . The compressor was an Eager Beaver brand or Little Beaver ?? and oilless. A diaphragm compressor has a flexible diaphragm that is pushed back and forward to compress the air .... thus no oil in the system. Oil in the air is a NO NO.

This might be of interest or worth modifying . https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-11...r-kit_p6290319
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 02-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    $1495 US for a compressor, hose and second stage regulator. I got my Thomas diaphragm compressor from the Hobart tip shop for $20.00 Hose from eBay, 20 metres, breathing quality and a nice yellow, $50 I think, and second stage regulator $28.00. I need a couple of quick fit hose fittings and I'm done. I'm using mains power at the berth, and going 6 feet deep. I have a summer wetsuit. Not really planning on doing this in winter. I'll need a divers weight belt and some weights. Not much weight I don't think, the wetsuit is not very bouyant and neither am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Robb View Post
    All this certification/buddy diving sounds like it misses the point of the original question.
    He's just going under his hull to scrub it, not sport diving. A diaphram compressor isn't pumping oil into your lungs. The depth is easily in the range of breath holding dives while snorkeling. We, summer lifegards, used to scrub the bottom of our local pool (12' max) with an old diaphram paint compressor, a hose clenched in your teeth, and a small weight belt. If anything failed, swimming up to the surface was was simple. Crude? Sure, but it worked fine. Would PADI, or any other certifying group, look askance at it? Equally sure. Did we care? No. Would I, NAUI open water certified, use it do dive in the open ocean to decompression depths? Hell, no!
    I think we sometimes get our shorts in a knot over safety too readily.
    YRMV
    That's what I'm talking about. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I had one once, a little diaphragm compressor mounted to a petrol engine, a small in line accumulator, hose and regulator. I used it to about 30 foot . The compressor was an Eager Beaver brand or Little Beaver ?? and oilless. A diaphragm compressor has a flexible diaphragm that is pushed back and forward to compress the air .... thus no oil in the system. Oil in the air is a NO NO.
    This might be of interest or worth modifying . https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-11...r-kit_p6290319
    I think compressor choice is key. Has to be oil free. Of the oil free type there are two breeds. One is a piston compressor with no oil, but uses silicone or some such O rings instead of normal piston rings. Not great as they don't like continuous duty. They get hot and the seals die. The preferred compressor is a diaphragm type, as you describe.

I'll be really interested to see how it goes. If it really works okay, then I'll want one!

Rick

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Or.......to be a little more realistic:

no regulator required
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I got a regulator because for $28 why not, but apparently a snorkel is fine, exces air just vents out the end.

The funny thing is it probably works. But you'd want to trust the guy on the pump!

Grateful Dead